#1 polekat

polekat

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:32 AM

I'm currently trying to hack my router following this convention
http://preview.tinyurl.com/k34md
but with little success. Obviously I'm new at this. I've downloaded the mine and standard firmware updates, and extracted the files with rar, but can't get further. The how-to guide they have posted isn't very helpful to me, as it seems to assume some knowledge at the get go that I apparently don't possess, which is to say, that it jumps straight in without any seeming first step. If someone could help, or even just point in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

thanks,

p

edits: fixed spelling errors and link

Edited by polekat, 05 December 2006 - 06:36 AM.

#2 droops

droops

Arduino Addict

• Moderating Team
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hey, welcome to the forums.

i believe the missing step you are looking for is to upload the firmware onto the router. log into your router and you should see and option to upgrade it. using that you select the firmware on your computer, and it does it.

http://lifehacker.co...y/router/330879

#3 polekat

polekat

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

Hey, welcome to the forums.

i believe the missing step you are looking for is to upload the firmware onto the router. log into your router and you should see and option to upgrade it. using that you select the firmware on your computer, and it does it.

http://lifehacker.co...y/router/330879

aha! That got me in. Unfortunately, when I try to upgrade firmware, using [dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g] or [dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic] I get the message 'upgrade are failed'. Upon further inspection, I find that this particular router, being new, is wrt54G v6, and apparently as such, has a reduced flash mem, and RAM, from previous versions. Thus rendering it incompatible with current versions, at least that I'm able to find, of dd-WRT.

I'll keep looking though, and thanks for the help.

pk

#4 tokachu

tokachu

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

There's a huge list of compatible routers at dd-wrt.com. Be sure you check the serial numbers at the store as well.

#5 B0rg

B0rg

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

v5 and v6
WRT54G(S) v5-v6 series are supported in v23 SP1 and above "micro" builds, but require you use a special flashing procedure (see 'flashing v5 - vxworks killing').

Those two versions don't come with linux but, instead, with vxworks, and so, are harder to flash, but they already found out how to do it. Just read it on the wiki and follow the instructions.

#6 polekat

polekat

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

v5 and v6
WRT54G(S) v5-v6 series are supported in v23 SP1 and above "micro" builds, but require you use a special flashing procedure (see 'flashing v5 - vxworks killing').

Those two versions don't come with linux but, instead, with vxworks, and so, are harder to flash, but they already found out how to do it. Just read it on the wiki and follow the instructions.

Alright, I'm through. I got it upgraded. FWIW I found http://www.bitsum.co...?WRT54G5_CFE#h5 to be the most helpful, and used Ffox 2.0 for all the interfacing. Thanks all for the help, can't wait till I can do the same for someone else.

:D

edit: tokachu, just noticed your reply was your 420th post. heh.

Edited by polekat, 08 December 2006 - 05:24 PM.

#7 DaL3e7

DaL3e7

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:13 AM

yeah u should read/think multiple times and only act once, save you time and annoying failed attempts i used dd-wrt for a bit but i mutch rather like the configurability of openwrt whiterussian, good luck with that v6 i've read they are a pain in the ass hence why i begged my mom for a Wrt54GL ;) yup that L means its Linux/3rd party firmware capable no bs

Edited by DaL3e7, 29 January 2007 - 04:14 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!