• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Self Revolution

Self Revolution

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 08:48 PM

As I am from NY, I get to notice alot of wieeerd thingz going on in the subwayz stationz. :unsure: Once thing i havent seen much of nemore is the metro card swiping that enables free rides if done right. So im sittin here wonderin if neone would hav info on qny recent trix of the trade to get those free rides once again. What type of categorization would u consider this as? Im thinkin...maybe an urban exploration trade, like lock picking or sumtin. ^_^

#2 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 07:43 AM

I wasn't aware that it didn't work anymore (I rarely take the subway) but I remember people doing that for years. I think it was only recently that everyone caught on and fucked it up I guess.

#3 GUEST_ROX_***

GUEST_ROX_***
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2003 - 01:32 PM

Officials said they did not know whether yesterday's news inspired huge
numbers of people to try to tamper with Metrocards. But on the
Internet, where hackers have been trying to figure out how to crack the
card's code since it was introduced in 1994, electronic bulletin boards
were abuzz with postings like "What's the new way to hack Metrocard?"

"Supposedly a card folded along the T of 'Metrocard' allows this,"
wrote a user who signed himself "The Railroad Clerk from Hell."

That method appeared to be worth a try to someone. At the
Broadway-Lafayette Street station on Thursday afternoon, there were
several discarded Metrocards sitting on the ledge of the token booth.
One of them was bent at the T.

the website I got that from isn't up anymore, otherwise I'd provide a link

I with they had Metrocards where I live....or even in Dallas.....maybe they do and I just don't know it? That would be so cool....I always tried to get free rides on the bus when I didn't have a vehicle, now they have built a rail in Dallas but I haven't rode on it yet.

#4 Self Revolution

Self Revolution

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 05:14 PM

Ha, i dont think they work in busses at all. So all u hav to do is bend at the "T" in the word "Metro" and swipe a couplve times???

#5 GUEST_ROX_***

GUEST_ROX_***
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2003 - 03:16 PM

no they wouldn't work in buses...I had to fumble with my change while with a long line behind me, walk right past and flash an expired bus card, once I even promised to pay her back the next day but I rode at a different time for a whole week and by the time I was back on that bus she forgot.

anyway if it works let us know, I have no idea, I haven't tried it myself.

#6 Epiphany

Epiphany

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:26 PM

Actually the bending technique still works. And i have heard from a close friend that he has gotten it to work on a bus terminal.

I've spend alot of time on this subject, so i'll explain how it works, but i won't get into specifics unless you contact me.

When Cubix designed the 'metrocard' system they made sure that if a person had a damaged card the system would allow them a single free ride. (a sort of benefit of the doubt)

When you bend a card in several certain places (Yes there are over 5 different bending techiniques) you are not allowing the magnetic heads on the reader to read certain bit values on the card and thereby expoiting the above design.

These techniques only work on the "full fare" and "pre-valued" cards and I personally have the best success rate using the "T" series of metrocards which you can recognize by the texture, color, and on one of the serial numbers on the back.

Hack away....
B)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!