25 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Hi,

I recently switched to sourcemage and I decided that it was time to quit using gnome at the same time. So I never installed gnome and only installed fluxbox in order to be forced to use it and get used to it. However, the default settings and themes of gnome are plain ugly. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to make fluxbox really nice for the eye. So, here's my question: what should I look for to significantly improve fluxbox's look and also, what file managers should I try (I downloaded ROX, but I'm sure there are others). Please give me advice.

#2 regret

regret

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Bland made alot of really good themes for flux back in the days of RFA, you can download them at Old Skool Phreak. I used ang3l for a long time until i created my own.

SourceForge has a pretty good tut on creating and customizing it as well. Tut

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

I would look into XFCE. It's relatively minimal and easy to use, comes with Thunar (a good, minimal GUI file manager) plus it looks good. A WM isn't something you should need to "get used to", unless you want to fool with WM's for the sake of it. I use KDE. I get called a noob from time to time, but whatever, it does what I need with no fuss. Fluxbox is nice (stacked windows are a good idea, I wish I had that in KDE), but it's really a pain in the ass most of the time.

Edited by Ohm, 12 November 2006 - 09:33 PM.

#4 lmnk

lmnk

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

There are some nice themes over at themes.freshmeat.net (blackbox themes are compatible), and aterm with transparency, thats what I do.

Edited by lmnk, 12 November 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#5 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

There are tons of flluxbox/blackbox themes out there (they're interchangable, if I recall correctly). I use idesk to give me a few basic icons, and ftmenu to put an icon in the tray that gives me access to the fluxbox program menu.

As far as file managers, I like XFE (X File Explorer) for graphical management (when browsing pictures from my camera, etc) and worker for general file stuff. Worker can be found at : http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

As far as which theme looks the best, I personally like Cthulhain, which comes with fluxbox.

Edited by systems_glitch, 12 November 2006 - 09:55 PM.

#6 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

There are tons of flluxbox/blackbox themes out there (they're interchangable, if I recall correctly). I use idesk to give me a few basic icons, and ftmenu to put an icon in the tray that gives me access to the fluxbox program menu.

As far as file managers, I like XFE (X File Explorer) for graphical management (when browsing pictures from my camera, etc) and worker for general file stuff. Worker can be found at : http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

As far as which theme looks the best, I personally like Cthulhain, which comes with fluxbox.

Agreed, now that I tried Cthulhain it looks quite better. I'll try XFE

Now that I'm asking about improvements, is there any dock-like application for Linux, just like in OSX?
I'm sure somebody programmed one, it is such a nice tool.
Well, just a dock with magnification of icons would be nice...

Ah, and another question that comes through my mind : can I use Beryl with fluxbox..?

Edited by Aghaster, 12 November 2006 - 10:46 PM.

#7 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:02 PM

I'd assume Beryl will work with Fluxbox...as long as it isn't WM-specific.

I've never used it, but Gnome Dock looks like it functions pretty closely to the OS X dock:

There's also kiba-dock, which, being as how it doesn't have a WM in the name, I would guess is more WM-independent (tho with the right libraries, anything should run on any WM -- I use K3B in Fluxbox without problems). It requires the X Composite Manager to be compiled with X, which can be a bit of a chore to get up and running, but generally stays running once it's fixed (it ocassionally crashes on me, for unknown reasons, probably due to my early 7.x version of X).

#8 iceni

iceni

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

i like the theme nubuntu and fluxbuntu use. i think it's a really nice theme, it's called something like chort i think.
http://shots.osdir.c...o...691&slide=3
http://shots.osdir.c...o...732&slide=3

#9 bitMonkey

bitMonkey

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:01 AM

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the "Emerge" theme that comes with Gentoo (maybe sourcemages too?). I modded the config to use some Mac-style buttons I ripped from a GNOME theme. It looks nice. Fluxbox themes are very, very easy to edit.

#10 iceni

iceni

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

i just setup fluxbox with that theme i mentioned from nubuntu. i haven't quite setup conky properly yet though : (

i setup conky from this guide -
http://ubuntuforums....highlight=conky

i followed this gentoo guide for setting up fluxbox -
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fluxbox

Posted Image

#11 iceni

iceni

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

i'm using thunar with fluxbox, i don't know if that's a good idea, or not ?? it's really fast though B)

there's this link too -
http://forum.nubuntu...owtop...2&st=0

here's the theme -
http://forum.nubuntu...hp?showtopic=78

Edited by iceni, 28 November 2006 - 11:10 PM.

#12 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

Fluxbuntu sounds nice, I may just be dual booting sometime soon.

About fluxbox and terminals:
How do I get it to have stynax highlighting on certian file types, have the / and the end of directorys, list my current directory where you enter text (Example: root@slackware~/root/fluxbox$), and get diffrent colors, like green on black, or white on black?

The fluxbox man is nice, but I couldn't find anything about these.

edit:
Is fluxbox any faster, or have any special abilitys that window maker doesn't?

Edited by Octal, 01 December 2006 - 11:00 AM.

#13 iceni

iceni

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

How do I get it to have stynax highlighting on certian file types, have the / and the end of directorys, list my current directory where you enter text (Example: root@slackware~/root/fluxbox$), and get diffrent colors, like green on black, or white on black?

edit:

if you use *ubuntu you can open .bashrc and un/comment some lines to show colour. it's already there in bashrc

gedit ~/.bashrc

i've added the bit in an attachment. don't use it, just look at it and make the same changes to yours!

Attached Files

#14 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

That's funny how ubuntu has a distro for each graphical environment.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and now Fluxbuntu...

This is becoming silly... the installer should simply ask the user for which graphical environment he wants, and that's it. not a seperate distribution for each...

#15 lambda

lambda

mad 1337

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Not fluxbox but...

I don't see what's so great about transparent terms and silly decorations and stuff, it's all just distracting.

#16 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

edit:

if you use *ubuntu you can open .bashrc and un/comment some lines to show colour. it's already there in bashrc

gedit ~/.bashrc

i've added the bit in an attachment. don't use it, just look at it and make the same changes to yours!

I don't have acess to fluxbox right now, but where is the file located? Is it in /.fluxbox like most are?

That's funny how ubuntu has a distro for each graphical environment.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and now Fluxbuntu...

This is becoming silly... the installer should simply ask the user for which graphical environment he wants, and that's it. not a seperate distribution for each...

Well, ubuntu is installed graphicly, with a working desktop behind you.
And if you just get Ubuntu and uninstall grub and put Fluxbox instead, you can work with it.

And they are missing a few window managers, but they aren't too popular.

Not fluxbox but...

I don't see what's so great about transparent terms and silly decorations and stuff, it's all just distracting.

Sometimes you need transparency if you want to take a screen shot and you manually typed in the command. So you could see the background.

#17 nugget

nugget

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

~/.bashrc

That would be in your home directory. the '~' means it is your home directory. IF for somereason it is not there then I think you can just make one up. Not too sure about that though... Some other input would be great.

#18 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

~/.bashrc

That would be in your home directory. the '~' means it is your home directory. IF for somereason it is not there then I think you can just make one up. Not too sure about that though... Some other input would be great.

Ohh, I didn't pay attention to that.

By the way, in your signature, it would be:
#!/usr/bin/python
print "hello <br>"
But I might be mistaken.

Edited by Octal, 02 December 2006 - 05:09 AM.

#19 chillmaster

chillmaster

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:12 AM

http://www.chill-fu....wtopic.php?t=89

See that link for my screenshot.

WM: Fluxbox
Terminal: Eterm
dockapp: Gkrellm

#20 murfman

murfman

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:57 AM

just as a side note i think that deviantart has a decent collection of *box themes. but after using it for awhile I always end up modifying them anyway... btw I am running ubuntu with fluxbox as my wm and have been for awhile and love it! :P

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!