• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 12:02 AM

The camera is fine, just frustrating learning all the stuff that goes with it. Dumbass me didn't realize that you need a firewire cable to upload video to the PC. I thougth the USB2.0 would do it. I know I didn't read anything to the contrary when researching this, but I didn't really look at the end result.

Oh well, live and learn. I gotta shell out a few bucks for a larger memory card (for better/more pics) and for a firewire cable to transfer footage. Plus, I filled up 2 hours worth of tapes, so I need more tapes already!

Total cost:
-------------
+475 (Camera)
+100 (case, extra 3hr battery, accessory kit)
+ 25 shipping
-------------
$600 subtotal
+ 75 larger SD memory card
+ 15 decent firewire cable
+ 20 3 pack of generic Mini DV tapes
--------------
$720 TOTAL

there goes my lunch money for a while! :(

Dual? Did you encounter the same purchases (price/numbers withheld)? Did you need the firewire cable to get it to the PC?

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 07:59 AM

First, I upgraded my box - 40 GB HD, 1394 card, and 40x16x48 burner ~ $250. Camera w/ tape was ~ $500. Luckily, I had been saving and the large store I bought the camera from had a 12 month no interest, no payment deal on the camera.

#3 Angel

Angel

mad 1337

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:25 PM

Camera ... $475
Larger SD memory card ... $75
Firewire Cable and 3 Mini DV tapes ... $35
The ability to broadcast video of 1_337 |-|4><012 7121(KZ ... Priceless

(Well Somebody had to do it . . .)

-@®©1-1@/\/GE1_

(Edited so the Leetspeak would show up. Gotta' remember to Preview before posting. ^_^;; )

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 10:42 PM

lol...

let's wait and see how it turns out before we say "priceless". It may suck donkey ass!

#5 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:17 PM

anyone got hooks with Adobe After effects production edition... then we can say priceless :)

#6 sl1pm0de

sl1pm0de

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:15 AM

I have struggled with the idea of doing "In The Now" on public access.

It is allot cheaper then buying your own equipment. The only problem I have for seen is that spots that are an hour in length have been taken and 1/2 hour spots seem to be all you have until you can get on a list to get an hour spot.

Things to consider and know about the television option is that it definitely will take a bit more work for it to come off as good as an all audio show but it can be done and can surpass the quality of an all audio show if done right with good multimedia and general fun.

I have come to the conclusion that archiving the show in an audio format only seems to be the best option because of it's file size and by using mp3 is easily portable to all operating systems. I would however keep video logs in my private collection incase I ever thought it was viable to put up the video of the shows.

On thing that will be more difficult I know in at least DDP's case is that you guys live all over the map and would have to work a bit more to get everyone all linked up so they will be on the video signal all together.

Well those are some thoughts I have had. My feelings are that shows like "In The Now", "Old Skool Phreak" and all the others out there fit a need and a market that is not touched by anything in the main stream but to add to that I believe this type of show is something that could really take off and would interest many kinds of people. Once the messages that the community are trying to get are out there are seen by a majority of the public it will bring better balance and leverage to public demand and opinion on digital politics and technology.

The momentum is up. Let's keep bringing the messages in whatever format we can and have some fun with it too.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!