• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Programming noob

Programming noob

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

anyone know anything about cable card hacking? It fits in my laptops expansion bay. the playboy channel would be nice

#2 Venom

Venom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

anyone know anything about cable card hacking? It fits in my laptops expansion bay. the playboy channel would be nice

Cable card? You mean a TV card with a Coax input on it?

#3 Programming noob

Programming noob

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

no i mean this: http://arstechnica.c...cablecard.ars/2
they put them in tv's instead of having cable box's, the 55" tv in my bedroom has one.

Edited by Programming noob, 06 November 2006 - 07:06 PM.

#4 Venom

Venom

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

no i mean this: http://arstechnica.c...cablecard.ars/2
they put them in tv's instead of having cable box's, the 55" tv in my bedroom has one.

I'll look into it, pretty interesting in-deed. So when you say expansion bay, you mean where CD-Rom's/Floppie drives go, or you mean PCMCIA? I'm assuming you mean PCMCIA. Would that be Type I or Type II?

I don't have the time at the moment, but I'll definately check that out, I bet there's some sort of firmware stuff you can do with it. :)
Expect a post sometime this week.

#5 Programming noob

Programming noob

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:11 PM

thanks, I mean PCMIA type II. I think it might be worth a try, thanks alot venom

#6 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

get a slingbox

#7 xGERMx

xGERMx

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

just tell girls that you have a 55 inch TV in your bedroom and you won't need Playboy. :voteyes:

#8 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Arent those the same cards that go in tivo's?

#9 fluidicslave

fluidicslave

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

I looked into this a few years ago and it would be pritie tough,

A cable card operates in 2 modes one of which makes it operate in the same manner as PCMCIA 2 however a cable card has a built in mpeg decoder as well as a a small proceccor inside of it. you would need a very differnt pinout and interface to even atempt to play with a PCMCIA 2 card

#10 Venom

Venom

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

A cable card operates in 2 modes one of which makes it operate in the same manner as PCMCIA 2 however a cable card has a built in mpeg decoder as well as a a small proceccor inside of it. you would need a very differnt pinout and interface to even atempt to play with a PCMCIA 2 card

No firmware flashing? I'm not talking about about different pinouts... I'm talking about different firmware and/or different drivers. For example, you install C&A on a winbox. It installs an alternate packet driver (WinPCap) that lets it peek at network traffic. I'd imagine it would be possible to do something similar in this situation.

#11 Programming noob

Programming noob

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

im sure that there si some type of firmware flash that is possible, right now ive been having trouble just getting my computer to recognize the card, it doesn't even pop up as unknown device and when I try to use suse with it, same thing.

#12 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

im sure that there si some type of firmware flash that is possible, right now ive been having trouble just getting my computer to recognize the card, it doesn't even pop up as unknown device and when I try to use suse with it, same thing.

who is the card manufactured by? there may be drivers you can download for it. Try this site www.avsforum.com it helped me when i was looking for drivers for my scientific atlanta cable box. lotso good stuff there. but like i said before a slingbox would be a cool thing for you to try if you want to be able to watch your tv from you laptop anywhere you go.

#13 Programming noob

Programming noob

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

who is the card manufactured by? there may be drivers you can download for it. Try this site www.avsforum.com it helped me when i was looking for drivers for my scientific atlanta cable box. lotso good stuff there. but like i said before a slingbox would be a cool thing for you to try if you want to be able to watch your tv from you laptop anywhere you go.

Thanks for the advice, but I actually allready have a slingbox, and they are cool. What I want to do though is reflash my cable card with some new config files that allow me to decrypt channels that I don't pay for. But I will check out that forum, I decided to buy my camcorder from the reviews of it there.

#14 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I actually allready have a slingbox, and they are cool. What I want to do though is reflash my cable card with some new config files that allow me to decrypt channels that I don't pay for. But I will check out that forum, I decided to buy my camcorder from the reviews of it there.

ah ok i see what youre trying to do now. that sound like a good idea im going to look into that i got a buddy that works for timewarner cable ill see what he knows,and get back to you.

#15 fluidicslave

fluidicslave

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

No firmware flashing? I'm not talking about about different pinouts... I'm talking about different firmware and/or different drivers. For example, you install C&A on a winbox. It installs an alternate packet driver (WinPCap) that lets it peek at network traffic. I'd imagine it would be possible to do something similar in this situation.

no this kinda of thing is not possible becuse the way your cable card is wired does nto allow for you to munipulate with a pcmcia slot

#16 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

no this kinda of thing is not possible becuse the way your cable card is wired does nto allow for you to munipulate with a pcmcia slot

yes i also checked with my friend from timewarner and he says that the card is not pcmcia compatible but this is interesting and im having him find out more about how the cards work for me, so hopefully we can get some answers. if they fit into your tv slot then there must be some type of card reader/writer availible for them.

#17 Programming noob

Programming noob

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

yes i also checked with my friend from timewarner and he says that the card is not pcmcia compatible but this is interesting and im having him find out more about how the cards work for me, so hopefully we can get some answers. if they fit into your tv slot then there must be some type of card reader/writer availible for them.

I am very good with a soldering iron....and have a few extra parts to playwith

#18 stop_cableco_gouging

stop_cableco_gouging

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

hello, is anyone still looking into the feasibility of re-programming cablecards? I'd sure like to enlist those that are capable to take another look into this. i'm not a tech so i can't...

i do hate the fact that cableco's are gouging the public and have done everything possible to thwart CableCARD use and adoption. and, as i understand, most all cableco's cripple the PSIP data so that your new QAM capable TV can't even tell you what channel you're watching, you need a cableco STB just to be able tell what channel you're on.

i'm not much for PPV or other premium channels, give me the standard lineup and the locals in HD, and i'm happy.

i do like my tivo but tivo can't tell what QAM channel you're on either, because the PSIP data is corrupt, and for whatever reason, tivo decided to hitch the tivo program guide to a cablecard. so, if you don't have a cablecard (and PSIP is crippled), you don't get channel guide for any clearQAM (local HD) channels on your tivo.

calbeco's where forced to provide cablecards but you typically can't get a cablecard just for the local (clearQAM) HD channels, cableco's extort additional service level or "premium" (spelled $$$) add-on before they permitted you to have a cablecard.

and now, cableco's have a new anti-cablecard weapon: namely, SDV. so, even if cableco lets you have a cablecard, SDV basically renders your cablecard useless for any premium level of service.

however, cablecards are very useful, assuming all you wants is the standard unencrypted channel lineup and local HD clearQAM channels. and, if cableco's would let customers have a cablecard for a few bucks for those that just want the basic tier, this would probably be a mute point.

i have read where someone got a cablecard on ebay, plugged it into a tivo and nojoy. i don't know if the card was defective or something else was wrong. i have also read that cablecards need to be "initialized" to the particular cablco's front-end or head-end or whatever. if it's true that a cablecard must be "initialized" to a particular cableco's system, then getting a card off ebay is pointless.

so the questions is: can a cablecard be re-programmed into a state where it would basically recognize and pass-through any channels the are in the clear and do not require a authorization/pairing or decryption key?

i did search a bit using google, but couldn't find the answer i was looking for. i did stumble across a couple things that might (hopefully) be useful to some of you guys/gals:

http://www.cetoncorp...120Brochure.pdf

http://www.opencable...-I07-060803.pdf

i don't know the level technical challenges or if anything meaning full or usable can be devised or implemented. i do see that slysoft (AnyDVD) keeps managing to "crack" all the "un-crackble" dvd formats. if he can do it, i'm sure some of you guys can figure this out. :)

can i implore you all to take up the challenge against the evil cableco's?

#19 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

You can afford a 55" television and you want to steal cable?

#20 stop_cableco_gouging

stop_cableco_gouging

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

You can afford a 55" television and you want to steal cable?

where did that come from???

i don't want to steal anything!

perhaps you can point out where in my post you think that i was asking to or wanting to "steal cable."

are you sure you read the entire post, it is a bit long.

and, if you must know, i don't have a 55" TV, i have a 60" but it is the cheep rear projection type i got on special.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!