• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 11:42 PM

A 5E that I'm particularly fond of has Telephoto Bridging listed in its Feature Group. Does anybody know what this is? The Qwest techs I just talked to didn't even know.

#2 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:13 PM

Dual, not sure if this will help. But you've piqued my interest so I did some digging. I found some stuff online and in some BellSouth Manuals

First, I think that Telephoto Bridging is used for Telephoto Communications. From what I can tell this feature would be one at the switch.

I found some information on telephoto conditioning - please note that this is written in bellsouth manuals so it may not be the easiest to understand.

Telephoto
Conditioning

Telephoto Conditioning provides transmission characteristics suitable for telephotographic communications.
Specifically, Telephoto Conditioning is provided for the control of attenuation distortion and envelope delay distortion
on telephotographic services. The attenuation distortion and envelope delay distortion parameters for Telephoto
Conditioning are:

Attenuation Distortion

(1004 Hz Reference)

Frequency Variation

Range (Hz)       (dB)

500 - 3000 - 0.5 to + 1.5
300 - 3200 - 1.0 to + 2.5

Envelope Delay Distortion

Frequency Variation

Range (Hz)     (mcs)

1000 - 2600   Less than 111
800 - 2800     Less than 181

Now I'm just curious as to what the hell telephotographic communication is. I found a definition and it I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense.

Telephoto

Pertaining to pictures transmitted via a telecommunications system.

I hope that helps you out, if not, I hope someone has a little more insight :)

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 10:46 PM

does this have ANYTHING to do with those "mailstation" talk to each other with video over normal phone lines? I saw a guy buying these in Best Buy (he bought 6 at 500 bucks a piece!) and I asked him about them. HE bought them to talk/see his grandkids out of state, but the box says it doesnt need broadband or an internet connection of any kind!

That may be totally irrelevant, but it made me wonder if that was how they worked. If I missed the mark entirely, I will take my shame.

#4 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:22 PM

i remember those things too! they had little screens, and you could talk to others with video. never had one, and whenever i saw em, the quality wasnt all too good. when i saw telephoto bridging, i thought it might be this, but i think its something on the telco's side that they can control, for matience or something.

#5 zerodata

zerodata

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 05:49 AM

does this have ANYTHING to do with those "mailstation" talk to each other with video over normal phone lines? I saw a guy buying these in Best Buy (he bought 6 at 500 bucks a piece!) and I asked him about them. HE bought them to talk/see his grandkids out of state, but the box says it doesnt need broadband or an internet connection of any kind!

Dunno but there is also a video bridging service so they may well use that

I did some digging too I found lots of telcos with prices for the telephoto bridging service but no proper description of what it can be used for.

:ranaway: weirdness :ranaway:

#6 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 08:55 AM

Ok, it's getting weirder. I asked a real oldskool phreak (he's got a Strowger switch for cyring out loud!) I know and he didn't know what telephoto bridging was. I think we've all got pieces to the puzzle, but I'm going to keep digging.

#7 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 07:45 PM

Ok, here's the lowdown on telephotography from the 18th edition of Newton's Telecom Dictionary (I have the 15th and it wasn't in there).

Telephotography was developed at Bell Labs during the 1920's. A transparency of a picture was scanned and amplitude modulation was used to transmit the picture over the analog lines. Remnants of telephotography are still used in fax machines today.

#8 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 08:40 PM

I only missed my guess by about 80 years!!!

:o

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!