• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 02:42 PM

with the format /mbr that should make it so i can load another OS?  because there wasn't anything that can't be replaced on that hard drive but winxp *twirlz finger* big whoop right?  i'll try that format because i have the boot disk.

Thanks guys!

well i got a dos 6.22 boot disk and did format /mbr and it comes up with an error of "invalid switch /mbr"

did i do something wrong or should i drop my box from the roof of my building?

hmmm...try it from a win98 boot disk. My dos 6.22 worked, even though it is not listed as a valid switch on the list/help, it was still there. Try the same thing on a win98 boot disk, just in case.

beyond that....you may right in that roof idea. ;)

well i do know that the hard drive is able to be recognized because i used this boot disk i found on the net while i was downloading my dos 6.22 and that is a readntfs and there is a readntfs.exe and i ran that and there was two partions ( note: everytime i start this computer there is a msg that gives you an update on the config of the drives i.e. if you have a 60gig hard drive and 2 rom drives it will tell you, but the hdd amount keeps on changeing from 9gigs to 19gigs) i'm thinking of playing with the jumpers to see if i accidentaly changed them when i put it in a different box. but i'll keep on trying with this till i have the money for a new drive!

#22 Crimson_Binome

Crimson_Binome

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:35 PM

I hope you folks dont mind me putting in this quick question...

But concerning my HDD for the life of it it had been making noises like little squeeks when ever it would start spinning. I figured it was probably a head issue and finally after 6 months it died I believe. I was formatting for an install of linux and it froze during format with some erroneous error and when I tried going into the boot installation with winxp (FCKGW) it wouldnt even load...just froze after starting the boot from the cd. I took out that HDD and tried with another and it worked fine...so I've assumed it has given up the ghost. RMA on the way. I just wanted a second opinion. -thx

#23 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:54 PM

I hope you folks dont mind me putting in this quick question...

But concerning my HDD for the life of it it had been making noises like little squeeks when ever it would start spinning. I figured it was probably a head issue and finally after 6 months it died I believe. I was formatting for an install of linux and it froze during format with some erroneous error and when I tried going into the boot installation with winxp (FCKGW) it wouldnt even load...just froze after starting the boot from the cd. I took out that HDD and tried with another and it worked fine...so I've assumed it has given up the ghost. RMA on the way. I just wanted a second opinion. -thx

yep...clicking noises are a dead giveaway. If you want to try and get the data off, try some of the methids we talked abotu earlier, maybe the freezer trick will work for you. But yes, it sounds like u r SOL. :blush:

#24 swank

swank

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:13 AM

A great program that Ive used in the past to attempt recovering faulty drives is a nifty low level formatting program called SpinRite. Its successfuly fixed 3-4 of my drives in the past.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!