• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 12:48 PM

well as the topic states my hard drive decided to take a massive crap!!! its has decided that it doesn't want to be seen anymore. i've poked it, tryed to talk to it and over all beat the living shit from this SOB!!! :) no not really. but here's what happen... i had setup this box to encode a SVCD to VCD and then on my main box i was going to do whatever... well in the middle of my game of Red Faction my computer dumps and reboots. no problem... so after my box starts again i decided that i was going to use my cd-rw's to move data from my in-laws to my place ( they still have broadband :)) so im going to dump everything from the rw's in my other box... so i try to open the network drive and it hangs then sez i don't have permissions to look at it!! well sorry but i set permissions and you stupid hard drive will listen to me *smack*... so then i try to vnc over to the box... no vnc server there... hmmmm so since i don't have 2 monitors for both my boxes i have to unplug and plug in to my other box.... well its sitting at the boot screen just sitting.... so ok i'll reboot. reboot gets almost done and BSOD which is not very common on XP. so i reboot again. while rebooting i get the safe boot option and i choose last good config.... well that hangs for a bit and comes back with something to the effect of my hard drive is not there!!! so now i'm sure that the drive has crashed but i want to make sure its not the hard drive and maybe the box. so i take the drive out put it in a different box and its not there... goto admn tools and then to disk management. only my 2 drive origianlly in this box... hmmm. so now i know its totally gone but to make sure i put it back in its box. and fire up knoppix on its ass... loads up and everything works good.... because its running from cd!!! :grr: now other times i've ran knoppix i could see my hard drives, this time i couldn't. so now i've tried fdisk to delete the partion, that didn't work because my hard drive isn't being found. i've check the BIOS and there is no opiton to look at what is there but there is a detect drives and exit... done that and that didn't work. i've done an emergency virus scan and that came up with nothing. i've also checked google up and down for this and i can only find data recovery. so my question on after my novel of shit that happen last night and this morn is.... do i need a new drive or is there something i haven't tried to get this box up and running again?

thanks in advaced

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 02:50 PM

well, I had the same thing happen to my laptop recently (which i have bitched about extensively on B-double-R) and I also tried everything to salvage my data. I did the same things that you did including knoppix and Windows PE. You didnt mention PE, but it might be worth a shot, look on P2P.

Anyway, long story short, my HD was gone. RIP. I even tried some law enforcement forensic software (don't ask) and it would not work either. I had an engineering friend who offered to tak ethe drive apart and realign/repair the internal workings of the HD itself, but I am under warranty and as much as I wanted my data back, I didn't want to pay for a new HD if we fukked it up too bad. I took it in, and they replaced the HD. I asked about recovering the data and they didnt have a clue. They offered to sell me the old HD back at full price! :blink: so that I could keep trying to recover the data.

No thanks...the most important thing I lost was a couple of articles, that I can rewrite. It will just take some time. :( You might think abou thaving someone or yourself, taking the HD apart as a last resort and tinkering with it. I wouldnt bother unless you know an EE that knows what he is doing.

#3 1337

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 02:59 PM

This happened to my friend, while I was at his PC (that means he blamed meh). He sent it back to Sony and the gave him a new HD and a new mobo(?). I don't think he got his data back though.

#4 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 05:05 PM

i've given up on the data... i just want the hdd to work!
if i don't use a boot disk it sez that the hard drive is unreachable and then it sez that no OS can be found on anyother drive. and its not under warrenty anymore either!

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 05:57 PM

are you hearing any sounds, or anything that points to a hardware failure?! and also, did you check the cable?

#6 Tank

Tank

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 01:35 AM

well i cant help with your data but as far as the drive try a
(low level format)

#7 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 08:40 AM

are you hearing any sounds, or anything that points to a hardware failure?! and also, did you check the cable?

I was going to ask the same exact thing. You might try swapping out the drive cable, or trying the drive in another machine, unless you tried that already and I missed it in yer posting. You could also try the drive in an external FireWire enclosure and seeing if you can get another machine to recognize it. I've resurrected several seemingly hosed Mac drives that way. HTH.

#8 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:21 AM

as a matter of fact i did check the cable and found that i put it in backwards ( i don't know if that matters or not) but that didn't fix it, also no abnormal sounds. also about the format... the drive is unrecognized by the box and i did try fdisk ( since its save a few boxes of mine) but that didn't work either. counldn't find windows PE on p2p, is that a live cd of windows? if so that would really kick ass to just have that!! and i don't have a firewire card or a hdd enclouser and no money so thats out of the question! i have tried to install winxp and win2k on this box and an error comes up about I/O (input/output) if that might have anything to do with it... i have also tried useing different ide controllers on my mobo to see if that would help.

kindda off topic, are the ide controllers on a mobo only able to be used for one hdd and one for rom drives or can you use both for hdd or both for rom drives (not that it would make alot of sense)??

#9 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:24 AM

windows pe is sort of a mini windows that is used when you install longhorn
it first installs windows pe and that installs the main os, i don't think its included on the xp disk, someone correct me if im wrong...

#10 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:30 AM

windows pe is sort of a mini windows that is used when you install longhorn
it first installs windows pe and that installs the main os, i don't think its included on the xp disk, someone correct me if im wrong...

so maybe try my longhorn disk then?

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:52 AM

umm...why!? do you WANT longhorn on there?!

#12 DipShit

DipShit

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:56 AM

I work as a PC tech at a local buisness that at one time bought ALOT of thouse nasty Fujitsus. The ones with the Cirus Logic chips on them that would die like 3 months after ya put 'em in a box. (MPG serries I think.... also the reson Fujitsu doesn't make HDs anymore) Anyway, one of the tricks we use (as a last resort) is to rap the hard drive in a papper towel and throw it in the frezzer for like half an hour. What this is supposed to do is stiffen up the read / write head in a drive thats crashing (head crash). I'v seen it work with drives the wern't blatently crashing too. The only think is to have another hard drive ready on the same system to catch the data, cuz it'll only work for about 10-15 minutes befor the drive would start to thaw. Usualy we have to do it a few times to get all the data we need, but you'd be supprised how many times this has worked for me. Worth a shot anyway.

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:01 PM

but if he's not hearing any sounds that means its not a head crash, doesn't it?!?

#14 DipShit

DipShit

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:37 PM

MOST drive make a clicking noise when they crash. A few I'v ran acrost don't.

twirlz: when you have the drive plugged in and the power on, can you feel the drive spin-up?

#15 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 01:40 PM

I tried the freezer trick and it didnt work for me. I have never gotten it to work in 32 years, so i still consider it a myth.

about windows PE: it is lik ethe knoppix of the windows world. It has no relationship with longhorn, unless longhorn is going to use it somehow. It is a bootable windowsXP that loads into memory. Knoppix did NOT load for me, BTW. I think it does need to write a couple of things to the HD, which was dead. That is just a guess.

Finally, another thing that helped me with a HD recently was to get an old DOS 6.22/win98 boot disk and do a

format /mbr

to format the master boot record. I had taht problem when trying to recover from an old PCDos installation using grub and it worked like a charm!

#16 cipher

cipher

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:11 PM

I dont know if this could help anyone but if you guys want to recover any info from your HD you can try Demo Linux it would start form a cd Just like Knoppix but it will give you Superuser or admin that Knoppix wont give you!! so you can recover your files..... I hope this could help anyone later ..cipher. :ninja:

#17 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:12 PM

with the format /mbr that should make it so i can load another OS? because there wasn't anything that can't be replaced on that hard drive but winxp *twirlz finger* big whoop right? i'll try that format because i have the boot disk.

Thanks guys!

#18 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:46 PM

stank: longhorn DOES use PE, it loads it into memory first and uses it to install itself. this never happened to me when i ran longhorn, but some people find that after they reboot they can load pe by itself...its just a bug tho in the longhorn code.

#19 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:19 AM

with the format /mbr that should make it so i can load another OS? because there wasn't anything that can't be replaced on that hard drive but winxp *twirlz finger* big whoop right? i'll try that format because i have the boot disk.

Thanks guys!

well i got a dos 6.22 boot disk and did format /mbr and it comes up with an error of "invalid switch /mbr"

did i do something wrong or should i drop my box from the roof of my building?

#20 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 12:40 PM

with the format /mbr that should make it so i can load another OS?  because there wasn't anything that can't be replaced on that hard drive but winxp *twirlz finger* big whoop right?  i'll try that format because i have the boot disk.

Thanks guys!

well i got a dos 6.22 boot disk and did format /mbr and it comes up with an error of "invalid switch /mbr"

did i do something wrong or should i drop my box from the roof of my building?

hmmm...try it from a win98 boot disk. My dos 6.22 worked, even though it is not listed as a valid switch on the list/help, it was still there. Try the same thing on a win98 boot disk, just in case.

beyond that....you may right in that roof idea. ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!