• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blitze105

Blitze105

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

1. This is probably a strange and very noob question but... what is a .exe?I realize it's an executable and it runs things. But every language i've started to learn you can simply open the file in notepad or etc. Is the .exe that u open basicly just encrypted?

2. What is a vulnerability? It's a security hole, but literally what would an example of one be? Do i really have to know a language to understand it.. or is there an answer that i could get? If i do need to know languages that's fine i just need some time to learn them and i'll do it. (already learning python)

3. Any one know of a tutorial about nmap? Or where i should start reading about it / what it does?

4. What is appache..? A link would probably be best to that. I'm just tired of book definitions about things like that.

5. What's "your' opinion on Windows Vista?

6. Alienware was bought out by dell... who should i buy a laptop from now??? (Newegg might have some alienwares now that i think of it......)

Thanks for all the replies / suggestions.
~blitze

Edited by Blitze105, 20 October 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

1. This is probably a strange and very noob question but... what is a .exe?I realize it's an executable and it runs things. But every language i've started to learn you can simply open the file in notepad or etc. Is the .exe that u open basicly just encrypted?\

No, an exe is compiled. All code that runs on a computer must run in the computer's native binary code. There are compiled computer languages in which a compiler (like a C or C++ compiler) turns human-readable source code into computer code and produces an exe. There are also interpreted languages in which an existing exe (like python.exe) interprets the source code of your program at run-time, but don't let that fool you, all the work is being done in the exe. There's also a hybrid design, called a "virtual machine", but just think of that as interpreted for now.

2. What is a vulnerability? It's a security hole, but literally what would an example of one be? Do i really have to know a language to understand it.. or is there an answer that i could get? If i do need to know languages that's fine i just need some time to learn them and i'll do it. (already learning python)

You don't need to learn a language to understand vulns a bit. I'll use pseudocode to show you. I have a network server, it allows clients to upload files. First, it read a filename from the client: filename = network_socket.readline();. Next, it opens that file: file = open(filename);. Finally, it writes data data to the file from the socket: file.copy(network_socket.read());. So, what happens if you pass a filename like this: ../../../../../../../etc/passwd. Since the program forgot to check for .. in the filename, it's accidentally opened a system file and possibly written over it. Vulnerabilities are programming mistakes that can result in an attacker gaining access to a resource he wouldn't otherwise be able to. There are many classes of vulns, many you might not understand until later.

3. Any one know of a tutorial about nmap? Or where i should start reading about it / what it does?

The nmap man page. If you don't understand it, you need to learn more about TCP/IP.

4. What is appache..? A link would probably be best to that. I'm just tired of book definitions about things like that.

Apache is a web server. It's the most popular open source (most popular at all?) web server around, and is very flexible. This page you're seeing right now was most likely served on Apache.

6. Alienware was bought out by dell... who should i buy a laptop from now??? (Newegg might have some alienwares now that i think of it......)

Don't buy an alienware laptop. Unless of course you like carrying around a 20lb laptop that gets 1/2 hour of battery life. I wouldn't buy a laptop for gaming, it just isn't worth it. Wait until you get home to play video games, and get a more sane (and less expensive) laptop.

#3 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

^ Covered just about everything.
Buy a Macbook.

#4 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

^ Covered just about everything.
Buy a Macbook.

Why buy a macbook...? Okay, I'm going to buy a used iBook, but that's because it is cheap and that I can run Linux on it ;)

#5 Blitze105

Blitze105

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

yes a long battery would help me...

the laptop is only for coding when i'm not at home.. which will soon hardly be ever so.

Any ideas?
~blitze

PS
almost forgot... thank you all very much for the replies.. and zal i'm PMing ya something plz reply..

Edited by Blitze105, 20 October 2006 - 06:24 PM.

#6 regret

regret

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

If you're looking for a laptop for coding purposes and not so much for multimedia, the bottom-line laptops at dell or HP would more than suffice...they usually start out at $400-600. I've found out recently that your local classifieds are a really good source for used laptops....I just bought another lappy that retailed for about $1800 two years ago for $75 because the "rich prick" decided it was either sell it or throw it away.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!