• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 T.M.O.S

T.M.O.S

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hello all, i am very interested in learning perl, i have just downloaded ActivePerl for Windows, i know very basic commands and stuff, is there any tutorial or E-book i could read to help me , if so, can someone please provide a link??

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

Learning Perl and Programming Perl from O'Reilly are good. Just keep in mind that Perl has a strange learning curve. Early on, you'll see good results, but that'll soon plateau, it's difficult to get past the basics. Perl is very powerful, but messy and complicated. Read lots of code too, you can find endless code on CPAN.

#3 isolationx

isolationx

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

a book that i got recently is called learn perl in a weekend. its by thomas nowers. the way he starts you off, it just makes sense. personally i would recommend this book. it makes perl quite simple for silly heads like me.

#4 T.M.O.S

T.M.O.S

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

Can you give me some examples of what perl can be used for??

#5 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Anything. It's a very diverse language, it takes elements from many paradigms (structural, functional, OO, etc). It has some pretty powerful text processing features as well. But if you ask me, Perl's largest advantage is CPAN, a library of code you can easily use in your own program. Look around in CPAN to see what Perl can be used for, and you'll find libraries as diverse as they come.

Edited by Ohm, 09 October 2006 - 05:26 PM.

#6 jabzor

jabzor

hax?

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

You should read some of these scripts, http://www.roth.net/...sp?HarlanCarvey , lots of fun to be had with perl. :)

As for books, hrmm.. I really like:
"O'Reilly Learning Perl 3rd Edition" is a good start, won't take you more than 2-3 days to learn all the basics.
"O'Reilly Intermediate Perl" is likely the next logical step.
"O'Reilly Perl Cookbook, 2nd Edition" has a good bit of 'everything' thrown in, nice broad coverage
"APress Pro Perl Parsing" - indepth parsing techniques, with additional cpan module references

After that, study what you will be doing, say regex or cgi, there are also windows or tk/tcl specific books
here: http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/perl
The majority of the books out there are from O'Reilly though.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!