• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 01:02 PM

ok, i finallt got agpgart working on my unsupported km266 chipset, now i need to get the sound in enemy territory to work. The system sounds and xmms and mplayer all work peachy. now, this is a message i get in the console during the game's startup:

------- sound initialization -------
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
------------------------------------

its pretty clear that /dev/dsp is the culprit. Also, i tried to see if i could correct this by changing the sound device used by my arts server to /dev/dsp and whenever i tried to play someting it would give me static, literally, i would hear static. now, what should i do to fix this crap?

ok, i got it
for anybody wanting to run et on their machine, if you don't get sound, try starting the game like this:

artsdsp -m et

it worked for me!

#2 GUEST_Tharian_***

GUEST_Tharian_***
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2003 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for this bit of info. That's exactly what I needed to get sound working in ET. I've noticed, though, that the sound lags quite a bit qhen checking for servers and such. Once I get in game, the sound seems fine. Did this happen to you too?

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:04 PM

no, not really but i expect your machine's specs to be the culprit, what are your system specs? and are you using an integrated sound card? most likely its the system ram, but i could be wrong. then again if it works fine in the game then there is no real need to fix it ;)

#4 MIG

MIG

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:08 AM

Does this game of yours us a microphone ?

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 02:29 PM

no, not that i know of

#6 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:48 AM

ET ownz.

#7 GUEST_heavy_***

GUEST_heavy_***
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:56 PM

run ps ax | grep -i artsd

if artsd is running then kill it and ET will run properly with the normal command to start it.

/usr/games/bin/et

if you are in kde then you can disable the aRts sound server (artsd) in the control centre

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!