97 replies to this topic

#1 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

Hey everyone,
I have an HP notebook and I recently set a password for its BIOS. And then I forgot it.. Googling didn't really lead me anywhere, and you have to go through stacks of paperwork before HP "reveals" the way to reset the BIOS password. So since a lot of the guys here are professionals, maybe someone can help me. How can I reset my BIOS password? Or change it?
Thanks a lot.

#2 hpdj

hpdj

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

Normally on a desktop theres a jumper on the motherboard, move it to reset the password. Don't know about a latptop board.

Edited by hpdj, 04 September 2006 - 10:34 PM.

#3 arewhyainn

arewhyainn

Cryin' Ryan

• Banned
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:50 PM

remove the battery, you may have to unsolder it.

#4 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

Is there an easier way that does not include soldering?

#5 arewhyainn

arewhyainn

Cryin' Ryan

• Banned
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:06 AM

Is there an easier way that does not include soldering?

you may or may not have to, just open it up and see where the battery is.

#6 Hiryu

Hiryu

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:27 AM

Some HP laptops have a reset button on the bottom (it's clearly labeled) Press and hold that for 10 - 30 seconds and it also clears your BIOS settings.

What's the type/model? I might be able to get the info from our HP dealer.

#7 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

It's an HP Pavilion dv8380us.

#8 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:29 AM

I know for sure I did a Pavilion reset sometime last year where the battery did not require desoldering. I forget the model, but it was a breeze. Hiyru, what may help him a lot would be the actual techs service manual, if you can get that. If not, look through here dalejrrocks, and see if you can find it. I don't have time to look through it now. :D
ftp://ftp.hp.com/

#9 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

Take out main battery and make sure your laptop isn't plugged in. Flip the laptop over. On the back of the laptopwill be this rectangular panel with 2 screws. Loosen the screws. Lift the left side of the cover and swing it to the right. Lift the cover off. You should now see the hard drive and the battery (small and round with twowires coming out of it to a connector). Unplug the battery and leave that small batery unplugged for about 5 minutes. Then pulg the battery in, screw the cover on, etc.

Btw, if you don't see the battery when you open up the hard drive panel then:

Remove the screws holding the hard drive down and pull on the mylar strrip to get the hard drive out. Then you'llsee the battery.

#10 Hiryu

Hiryu

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Take out main battery and make sure your laptop isn't plugged in. Flip the laptop over. On the back of the laptopwill be this rectangular panel with 2 screws. Loosen the screws. Lift the left side of the cover and swing it to the right. Lift the cover off. You should now see the hard drive and the battery (small and round with twowires coming out of it to a connector). Unplug the battery and leave that small batery unplugged for about 5 minutes. Then pulg the battery in, screw the cover on, etc.

Btw, if you don't see the battery when you open up the hard drive panel then:

Remove the screws holding the hard drive down and pull on the mylar strrip to get the hard drive out. Then you'llsee the battery.

Yep, what he said.. except the HP service tech said to briefly short the cmos battery. Removing the battery might not clear the cmos, shorting it will.

Also I'm getting the HP field tech guide CD, includes all tools, manuals, virtual bios etc.

#11 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

The HP service tech is an idiot.

Don't short the battery. If you shrot the battery (a lithium ion battery) it will either damage the battery or make it explode.
Plus, what the hell would shorting the battery do when it's out of the lapotp? The data isn't on the battery. The BIOS data is no the BIOS chip. Once power is lost to that chip data will eventually get lost (after 5 minutes) thus clearing outthe password. What would shorting out the battery do? There's no data in the battery!

#12 Hiryu

Hiryu

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

Don't short the battery. If you shrot the battery (a lithium ion battery) it will either damage the battery or make it explode.
Plus, what the hell would shorting the battery do when it's out of the lapotp? The data isn't on the battery. The BIOS data is no the BIOS chip. Once power is lost to that chip data will eventually get lost (after 5 minutes) thus clearing outthe password. What would shorting out the battery do? There's no data in the battery!

I didn't say shorting out the LiIon battery, but the battery that feeds power to the CMOS which is where the BIOS data is stored.

And since the service tech was quoting the official HP tech manual, I'm kinda inclined to believe what he says. Besides, I can verify it in a bit as he's sending me the tech manuals.

IN any case, better to be safe then sorry. unplug the battery first and see if that works. If not, do what the tech manual said.

Edited by Hiryu, 05 September 2006 - 04:46 PM.

#13 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

Thank you for all your advice. I will try it tonight and let you know how it went. Searching the ftp for the manuals now..

#14 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

I didn't say shorting out the LiIon battery, but the battery that feeds power to the CMOS which is where the BIOS data is stored.

And since the service tech was quoting the official HP tech manual, I'm kinda inclined to believe what he says. Besides, I can verify it in a bit as he's sending me the tech manuals.

IN any case, better to be safe then sorry. unplug the battery first and see if that works. If not, do what the tech manual said.

Uh, the CMOS battery is a Li-ion battery. Tech doesn't know what he's talking about. Btw, I'm also a certified HP tech and I have the service manual on my computer. I said exactly what the service manual said. No service manual will tell you to short out a lithium ion battery.

#15 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:54 PM

I think he meant short the jumpers, as in he was used to dealing with ATX motherboard BIOS setups. That's all I can think of.

#16 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:54 AM

I think he meant short the jumpers, as in he was used to dealing with ATX motherboard BIOS setups. That's all I can think of.

Then he would be a horrible HP tech as all of the recent HP desktop motherboards have a small yellow button that you push to clear the CMOS. I think there may be one or two jumper systems but you just take the jumper off and boot the system without it.

#17 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• 1,319 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:17 AM

Completly off topic but.....

Hey dalejrrocks, I didn't do your photoshop homework.
:(

#18 rEph

rEph

mad 1337

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

Laptop passwords can be problematic, just for future reference. worst case scenerios - a) harddrive passwords via bios are almost a lost cause...unless you can do some sort of brute forcing to them as it sets the harddisk lock. (can't take it out and get the data either...sucks) and B) bios boot password is saved on a chip that doesn't lose data due to loss of power, some laptops have this a secondary security chip, I dunno the specs but was trying to get into a laptop that had this problem...was a really annoying problem and ended up being a brick...even gateway said nothing could be done even if I sent it to them and paid them.

#19 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

Laptop passwords can be problematic, just for future reference. worst case scenerios - a) harddrive passwords via bios are almost a lost cause...unless you can do some sort of brute forcing to them as it sets the harddisk lock. (can't take it out and get the data either...sucks) and B) bios boot password is saved on a chip that doesn't lose data due to loss of power, some laptops have this a secondary security chip, I dunno the specs but was trying to get into a laptop that had this problem...was a really annoying problem and ended up being a brick...even gateway said nothing could be done even if I sent it to them and paid them.

Ususally the basic BIOS password is easily resetable. The hard drive password isn't but some older laptops have ways to get rid of the hard drive password.

#20 sycorax

sycorax

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

all these posts sound very elaborate

just take the CMOS out for like 10-15 mins

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!