• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:38 PM

I've been laying here in bed, listening to Off the Hook, RFA, and the lastest episode of BinRev (not at the same time, mind you). While listening, I've been trying to think of things I would do if I had a radio station.

What if we had some sort of "hack-a-thon." For about 30 minutes of the show, Stank would focus on some sort of technology, corporation/group, website, etc and have the listeners in the IRC chatroom "play along" by doing their best to either exploit or find out more information on that technology, corp, website, etc. For example, Stank might say that stankdawg.com has hidden pages, and it would be a sort of contest in the IRC channel to find those hidden pages. To put this idea in a larger context, I think BinRev should have a bit of interactivity to it.

Over several episodes, Stank could outline getting an in-house phone system setup for himself. :D The first two episodes would spend about 10 minutes just talking about what system to get, how to go about it, and how much $$ to spend. Over the next weeks, 10 minutes each episode would explain installing the system, and problems encountered, and working with the phone company to get it working. Once it is installed, you can play around on the air testing out all the neat features. Then as a finale (sp), have the first call-in/live episode. I'm sure this would be very popular. (Even if you have a fundraiser to get the cash to buy the system.)

I suggested a while ago having tutorials on the air. I say maybe once a month have a 'special guest' on to give a simple tutorial on some type of technology. Optional voting would take place to make certain the subject matter appeals to most listening, and the kiddies on IRC could talk with the host while the stream is going on and ask questions then. Having some sort of content such as this would make the shows worth listening to more then once. A replay value, if you will.

I'd love to see some of these ideas incorporated into the show. I also welcome any criticism y'all have.

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:08 AM

first of all, keep in mind that the show is not live, it is tape delayed. This causes a problem in being "interactive" in general. I try to give people topics and ideas to research and followup on, but that is all dependant on the user.

Secondly, I do not want to beg for money of anything like that from listeners. I hate it when WBAI does it and unless it is dire circumstances (potential loss of the show/site) I want to stay away from that. In the future, if the magazine takes off, those proceeds would go back in to DDP projects. I picture this to include phone bosts incurred in making the show, future issues of the magazine, better equipment for the shows, web hosting and bandwidth costs, etc. Until the magazine actually makes some money (after all the personal out of pocket expenses that I am not reimbursed for, I am losing money) expansion will be slow. the only expansion we can do is get more interest in th emagazine, radio shows, and work on projects that cost us nothing (ie: development).

As far as guest and tutorials, this is something that I am trying to do as well. You may have noticed how I have been having different guest hosts on and I have more planned). Radio is limited and interactive tutorials lend themselves better to vooduHALs recent IRC class or to articles in the assorted zines. It is simply too much material to cover in a 1 hour radio show.

So, I agree with everything you said. Just please understand that we have to deal with reality. We have bills to pay, jobs, school, time crunches, babys momma problems...ok, maybe not that last one, but you get the idea. This is a hobby for us and if somehow it ever took off to allow us to concentrate on it full time (ie: became a job) then we would go all out, like everything else we do. Until then, we will do our best.

#3 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:18 AM

What if we had some sort of "hack-a-thon." For about 30 minutes of the show, Stank would focus on some sort of technology, corporation/group, website, etc and have the listeners in the IRC chatroom "play along" by doing their best to either exploit or find out more information on that technology, corp, website, etc.

Heh I get what you're saying fanatic but the legalities might get in the way, don't want BRR to end up being evidence :).

#4 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:23 AM

what if someone volenteered their box for the show (not that I can, parents are so gay :pissed: , I don't "need" more than one box acording to them, they just don't understand), but anyway, you still run into the fact that the show is recorded.

#5 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 11:02 AM

Ahh, thanks anyway. Just keep those ideas in the back of your mind. =)

#6 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 03:34 PM

Ahh, thanks anyway. Just keep those ideas in the back of your mind. =)

I definately will...some of them were already there. ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!