• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KuroiShi

KuroiShi

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:16 PM

I've used them all, but never known the difference. Can someone explain?

#2 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:30 PM

A loop in the old skool sense is two numbers, a low and a high, looped together. When you call the low you hear a milliwatt tone and when you call the high you hear silence. When both numbers are called you can talk to eachother. Loops never used to supervise so it was a free call. The reason that the SoCal is called a "loop" is because there is a high and a low. If no one is on and you call the low, yo'll hear a milliwatt. Usually, loops only allowed two people on, but the SoCal is multiuser, technically making it a bridge. My definitions are a loop has a high and low, one side being a milliwatt, a bridge is one number with multiuser capabilities, and a conference is where you have commands, such as mute, unmute, finding out how many people are on, etc. Although, a more classic defenition is that if there are multi-user capabilities, it is a bridge. A conference is technically when a bunch of people are talking on a bridge. This is too confusing...they are all bridges. :P :wacko:

#3 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:36 PM

I almost forgot...I know of an actual loop (2 numbers, high and low, only two people can call) where if you call the low you hear a milliwatt. If someone calls the high when there is someone on the low end, they also hear a milliwatt, then they are both looped together. But if you call the high, and there is no one on the low end, you get a fast busy (reorder, whatever). Most classic loops had a toned side and a silent side. There are still many of thee loop around but 99% are filtered, meaning you cannot pas your voice through them.

#4 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:49 PM

Which means that the muted loops are useless, pretty much.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!