• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Booter

Booter

rekcah-rebÜ

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

This is just a beginning to get people started. Feel free to add onto more if you wish. The 'Threads' links you will see are from threads from these forums where the topic has been discussed before. I wrote this a few months ago so there may even be more threads about them if you search around. This list was made from numerous threads about the same topics; to stop the bitching from the Department of Redundancy Department.

1. How do I use exploits?
::Discussions - 1.
::Programs for assistance - Nmap and Nessus.
::Reference material - Security Focus, and Irongeek.

2. How do I get the admin password for Windows XP?
::Programs for assistance - Login recovery, and John the Ripper.
::Reference material - Password Recovery, Irongeek.com, and many others. I would suggest reading the discussion thread.

3. How do I hack a website?
::Discussions - 1 , 2, 3.

4. How do I get around web filtering like Websense?
::Discussions - 1, 2, 3.
::Programs for assistance - It is probally easier to use a proxy to get around web filtering software.
::Reference material - Babelfish, Proxy Blind, and Proxify.

5. What are proxies and how do they work?
::Discussions - 1, 2.
::Programs for assistance - There are tons of proxy server lists out there. Suggest doing a Google search for "Proxy", "Proxies", "Proxy Server", etc.
::Reference material - Wiki Proxy Info.

6. Where can I find more Hacker media like HackTV or BRR?
For general Hacker Media information check out the Forums.
::Reference material - Hackermedia, Infonomicon, Old Skool Phreak, WhiteSword TV, Packet Sniffers, Hak5.

7. What are some good books to read that will teach me about hacking?
This all depends on what you are interested in learning.
::Reference material - Cryptography, Programming, Networking, and Social Engineering.

8. Where can I find a meeting to attend, and what if no one is in my area?
If no one is in your area then start up your own meeting, and let others know about it!
::Reference material - Bin Rev meetings - BRR listeners map, DefCon groups, 2600 meetings, and also search for a LUG (Linux User Group) in your area.

9. What Linux distro is the best?
::Reference material - Rundown on different distros, a test that may help you decide which is best for you, and you may also want to check out more distros' for yourself.

10. How do I learn how to hack?
::Discussions - 1, 2.

11. I want to program, where should I start?
::Discussions - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22.
C Book, Tutorial, Windows Compiler, *nix Compiler, *nix Compiler How-To.
Python Website, Book, Tutorial, Compiler, Compiler How-To.
  • Silence and zeus69vs86 like this

#2 Cusefan14324

Cusefan14324

mad 1337

• Banned
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

nice work booter B)

#3 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• 1,319 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

Thank you Booter.
Now can we lock threads that deal with stuff in the FAQ?

#4 hbp

hbp

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

edit: nvm

Edited by hbp71605, 16 September 2006 - 08:22 PM.

#5 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

Lets get a newbie phreaking guide in here.

edit: or atleast something that would help.

Edited by Octal, 19 September 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#6 Alk3

Alk3

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

Heres what I have on Linux resources:
http://www.binrev.co...&...st&p=210322

I figured it is also relevant here. :)

Alk3

EDIT: I also found this in my bookmarks.... rofl B)

http://home.no.net/h.../translate.html

Edited by Alk3, 05 October 2006 - 03:10 PM.

#7 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

Alright, time for me to get out google. Note: These are in no order.

Philosophy
How to ask questions, the smart way.

Linux
Linux packages
Rute linux book
Linux documentation
2.6 kernel guide

Slackware

Online tutorials:
Slackware Basics
Other, not as good, slackware basics
Getting slackware up and running
Slackware packages
Slackware bible
Slackware guide
Slackware book

Ubuntu

Official Site
Beginning Ubuntu Linux, from novice to proffesional, by Keir Thomas

Programing

C

Books:
Beginning C, Third edititon, by Ivor Horton

Online:
C tutorial
How to compile an C program in unix
Free unix compilier
Free windows compilier

Python

Books
Beginning Python, From novice to professional, by Magnus Lie Hetland

Python website
Python compilier
Python tutorials
How to compile a Python program

Other
How stuff works, Computers
Doc droppers

#8 Abnerian

Abnerian

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hacker Etiquette:

A) Do try to speak English. Use full words and punctuation. We're not really strict about this, but it makes you look much more respectable.

B) Try not to ask dumb questions. I realize that, when you're starting out, you may need to. And that's okay, if you don't know, and you want to know in earnest. Google it first (and mention it if you have).

C) Having poor reasons for wanting to learn to hack is a great way to irritate us. The best reason to want to learn to hack is "Because I want to learn to hack". You don't need to tell us about your wife, girlfriend, kid at school, etc. If you're asking because you want to solve petty drama via hacking, you're asking the wrong people.

D) Listen and you will learn, I promise you.

And finally, a word of encouragement to those nubies who speak English, want to learn, and listen well:

Stick with it. It's awfully hard to understand a lot of this stuff at first, because your brain just doesn't work like a computer. But you *will* get it, sooner or later. It's an overwhelming amount of information, but just take it in. You may not get it. You may think you'll never get it. But by this time next year, you'll call yourself a hacker and it will mean something. If you want to learn, you WILL learn. You've come to the right place for it, too.

Welcome.

#9 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Stick with it. It's awfully hard to understand a lot of this stuff at first, because your brain just doesn't work like a computer. But you *will* get it, sooner or later. It's an overwhelming amount of information, but just take it in. You may not get it. You may think you'll never get it. But by this time next year, you'll call yourself a hacker and it will mean something. If you want to learn, you WILL learn. You've come to the right place for it, too.

That's goin' right in my sig, Abnerian! It's strange, I spotted this today, and it was this day last year when I first registered on Binrev!!! I guess I'm kinda starting to think of myself as a hacker now, but I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the quote! ;)

#10 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

TCP/IP info:
TCP/IP intro(brief, alot more out there then just this, but a good starting point none the less):
More detailed version, though it is a bit harder to follow then the previous guide.

Still more to TCP/IP to learn, but thats alot.

#11 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

Linux Newbie FAQ:

How do I move around in the computer with the terminal?

ls : lists the contents of the current directory.
ls -l: lists the content of the current directory, but with more information.

How to interpret listing with ls -l:

-rw-r--r-- 1 aghaster users 434973 2007-01-08 18:33 win32-shellcode.pdf

the first section, -rw-r--r-- , indicates type and permissions on the file. the first character used, a -, indicates that this is a file. r means it can be ran. w means can be written to. x (not shown here) means can be executed.

How do you know if it's a directory?

drwxr-xr-x 5 aghaster users 4096 2007-01-09 23:32 stuff/

Simple. the first character is a d for directory. The other info is not useful for beginners.

I forgot in which directory I currently am!

Don't panic. Use the pwd command, and you should see the full path of the current directory.

Typing long file names or directory names is very long compared to clicking in a nice GUI file manager. Is there an autocomplete feature included with bash?

Of course. press tab when you have typed enough for the computer to guess the following.

I don't know how to use a tool. where is the documentation included?

man <appname>
This should show you a manual. To exit, press q.

How do I rename or move a file?

mv <old_name> <new_name>

Are there any paths I should know by heart, because of very common use?

Yes.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf - This is your X server configuration file. You'll have to mess with it.
/usr/src/linux - that's a symlink to your current sources, also in /usr/src. When modifying your kernel, you should check in there.
/boot - There you have your kernel images.
/etc/lilo.conf - your lilo config file, if you use lilo as your bootloader.

And so on.

Are there any advice I should take as a beginner?

Take notes. Take lots of notes. Don't be afraid to write down everything useful you get to know. You're not a genius, you won't remember everything the first time. Also, be patient, it takes some time to get confident with Linux.

What is the worst thing I should be afraid about in Linux?

Configuring your X server with proprietary drivers, in order to get 3D acceleration. Yes, you can easily get discouraged trying to do so. courage.

Which graphical environment should I start with?

I'd say go for KDE if it runs fine on your computer (it is a bit heavy compared to others). It has a lot integrated in it, and is easy to use. Alternatives exist such as Gnome, XFCE or Fluxbox. You can only know which one you prefer by trying them. But starting with KDE should be fine for most people.
  • bardolph and Ste4lth like this

#12 Another Lost N00b

Another Lost N00b

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Ok, this is for all those people that are incapable of using a search box.
Admin can either Pin this up top or delete it, I couldn't care less!

Alrighty then, to reset an XP password first off you need to have a working floppy or cd/dvd drive installed on your PC.
Then you can go to one of the many websites that offer software to do such a task! I will only list the program that I know works for sure & does no harm to your system! If this one doesn't work, then your just going to have to search for alternative software yourself!

Step 1: Go to this website http://home.eunet.no...rdahl/ntpasswd/ & download either the floppy version of the program or the CD version! Note: This software is also available on the Ultimate Boot CD which is available at www.ultimatebootcd.com

Step 2: If there is a BIOS or "Startup" password & you have somehow managed to "forget" that aswell, you will need to reset your BIOS settings. If you don't have a reset button for your BIOS, you will need to unplug the mains power & then remove the BIOS battery!

Note. Before proceeding to the next step ensure that your BIOS is set to boot from "Floppy" or "CDROM"

Step 3: Reboot the system with the floppy/CD in the drive, wait for it to do it's thing, it will load up the program from the media.
Step 4: Now, all you will see is a bunch of text on the screen, don't get scared! Once the program has finished loading, a series of questions will come up! Most of the time you will use the default answers.

And there you have it, an unlocked XP system!

NOTE: THIS GUIDE IS NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY SORT OF ILLEGAL USE!

#13 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

How do I get a command prompt if it is disabled by the Administrator?
There are two ways:
1. If you have Microsoft Word, open it up. When you open it, press alt+F8. I'm not certain if it's F8, but try all the F* keys. A visual basic compiler should open up. RIght click on the document on the left side of the screen, and select "View Code". When the box opens, type:
Sub Main()
Shell "command.com"
End Sub
And press run(looks like |>) at the top of the screen.
2. If you have powerpoint, go to Slide Show>Action Buttons>And click on the completely blank one. A window should open, and go into the "On Mouse Click" tab(should already be open), and select "Run Program", and put "command.com"(no quotes) in the box.

What do I do after I have a command prompt?
1. Look at this post.
2. Look at this too.

#14 mastahcks

mastahcks

HACK THE PLANET!

• Banned
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Very nice way of putting it booter, but i still say put them on a terminal with a couple of VM servers and let them play with it lol :fireskull:

#15 p0is0n

p0is0n

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

http://www.academictutorials.com/

#16 FLW_FTW

FLW_FTW

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hey, so I found a little collection of CompSec related EBooks here. That website actually has a ton of different ebooks on a very wide variety of CompSci related subjects.

#17 c3ns0r3d

c3ns0r3d

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Not sure if this helps, but I learned Python through this --> Learn Python the Hard Way It's free and encourages a good way of learning in my opinion :)

EDIT: Made the link work, didn't realise it stripped HTML

Edited by c3ns0r3d, 16 September 2012 - 10:23 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!