• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 05:41 PM

The new Linksys cards (WPC11 Version 4) are based on the Realtek Rtl8180 chipset I think. I had a WPC11 Version 3 and it was Prisim 2 and it worked find in linux. That card died on me and I went and just picked up another linksys. It ended up being a version 4 based on the realtek chipset so I just said "fuck dat" and I purchased a used Orinoco Silver card and now i'm very happy.

#22 GUEST_jochen korb_***

GUEST_jochen korb_***
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:41 AM

hi all,

i have SUSE8.2 with an updated kernel 2.4.20. I compiled the realtek sources for suse and it worked (but with low performance). With KDE3.1.3 running i had often 48Kb/sec data traffic. ;)
realteks private part was compiled without wireless extensions and with kernel built in support for wireless (i don't know how).

I have compiled a new kernel for using apmd AND my wireless card. Result:
apmd runs fine, the wireless card hangs himself up after some time with a strange error message i naver had the days before:
TX low ... skb SPACE_CIRC=1

Befor this error i have placed some file in my /etc/sysconfig/network/ an the rtl8180_24x.o in /lib/modules/{Kernel}/ and a symlink in /lib/modules/{Kernel}/wlan-ng to this file.
Now this card is enabled by starting the hotplug and pcmcia facility. I pathed the wlanup/down also.

Does anyone have information about the TX bandwith problem??

jochen

#23 GUEST_ogc_***

GUEST_ogc_***
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:25 AM

The new Linksys cards (WPC11 Version 4) are based on the Realtek Rtl8180 chipset I think. I had a WPC11 Version 3 and it was Prisim 2 and it worked find in linux. That card died on me and I went and just picked up another linksys. It ended up being a version 4 based on the realtek chipset so I just said "fuck dat" and I purchased a used Orinoco Silver card and now i'm very happy.

Note that linksys will exchange a ver 4 card for a ver 3 card. I'm in the process of figuring out how exactly to do that, but the box contained a not stating that one can exchange the card.

#24 GUEST_LarryBird Lives!_***

GUEST_LarryBird Lives!_***
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2003 - 03:57 AM

Ok, so it isn't as easy as it should be. Running RedHat 8.0, 2.4.18-13 i had the same problems as described here. Getting the latest drivers from realtek, i noticed the file called rls_notes_822. This said these drivers [specifically the object they don't want us to have the src of] were compiled against 2.4.20-8 kernel.
So installed this kernel and now i can use the card as wlan0, no errors in /var/log/messages. I downed my eth0 and tried connecting to my lan, works fine. It only seems that the dns can't be found. Have to work that one out still.
It would be nice if realtek at least provides the object for all the kernels if they don't want to put the driver under gnu. Btw, i still get the kernelwarning when loading the driver, so hope that doesn't cause the dns problem.

So it works, but only for this kernel, that sucks big time off course, i got this card because when looking for linux-supported hardware that was available in my local shops, someone posted a message somewhere that this one worked fine. Thanx.

aavanderhoek@planet.nl

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!