- - - - -

Beige Box Monitoring

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_random hero 421_***

GUEST_random hero 421_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2003 - 08:16 PM

Lineman's headsets usually have the little monitor switch that doesn't drop the line voltage so the people you are tapping don't hear a change of volume or a "click" as you connect. I have tried to connect by turning a Potentiometer, but that doesnt eliminate the line voltage driopping, which makes the line quiet as hell. If anyone can give me a hand it would be appreciated.

-Random

#2 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 08:33 PM

my line mans hand set's monitor button does the same as hanging up the phone(don't know why).

#3 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 09:47 PM

have you tried a transformer?

#4 unknown_entity

unknown_entity

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 12:07 AM

Have you tried putting a non-polarized cap in line with one or both of the wires on the hand set?
I have not yet tried this with a hand set yet, but i've made whats basicly a listen only set by putting two 100V 1uF caps inline with each leg of a speaker.

So if you were to first clip on to a phone line thats in use the caps would still hold the charge of that line. And when you clip on to the other line that you wish to appear silent to the caps will still have the stored voltage of a line that is in use and the noise of clipping on will be gone altogether or greatly reduced.

This works with just a speaker because the caps will block all of the dc line level and pass all the ac signal (voice). They also hold the voltage of what they were last connected to. If It doesn't work or appears to be a dead line remove one of the caps and try again. Or try different capacity (uF) values for the caps, just dont use any thing under 100V or else if it gets hit with a ring it will destroy the caps.

Ive got this to work with just a basic speaker, Im not sure how it will react to all the internals of the handset.

#5 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 02:10 AM

My handset automatically passively montiors any line activity in three modes. You can hear loud in a speaker phone-like manner.. a quieter version of that... and in the earpiece manner. This is simply done by pressing the small round button on the handle. Now when I 'click on' to actually use the line its almost mute to the line that is actually in use. Other features include a mute button :) as well as the standards of store and recall.

#6 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,213 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:36 PM

i have'nt tried this but it might work. Anyways take a pair of headphones cut the male jack off. Add some clips to the 2 ends and clip to the line. I'm not sure if this would work but i think i'll be giving it a try hear in the near future. If someone trys this before me please post the results.

#7 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,213 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:37 PM

My handset automatically passively montiors any line activity in three modes. You can hear loud in a speaker phone-like manner.. a quieter version of that... and in the earpiece manner. This is simply done by pressing the small round button on the handle. Now when I 'click on' to actually use the line its almost mute to the line that is actually in use. Other features include a mute button :) as well as the standards of store and recall.

zapperlink,

we got the same test-set. Actully i have about 4 of them :)

#8 unknown_entity

unknown_entity

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:11 PM

Icon, thats kinda like what i did a while ago so i just now tried hooking a 8ohm 1/2Watt speaker directly to my house line to seee what it'll do and that makes the line go into an off hook state (ie. Dial Tone). With the 1uf cap in line with the same speaker it will block the DC voltage and remain in an on hook state. Of course the cap will pass any voice signals and rings on the line since those are AC.

i used a cap in line with my test set (just a reg slimline phone with clips) and it had the same effect as with the speaker. making it a listen only. Ill have to mess around and see if i can still sent voice out and if it will clip on silent like the speaker with caps does. ill post later tonight.

#9 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:33 AM

As long as listening is all you want to do, there's another, slightly more involved way of doing it. If you get one of Raddy Shack's recorder control devices (for connecting up to cassette recorderd) and plug the 1/8" jack from the recorder control into Raddy shack mini audio amp, you could listen through that. You can also plug a headphone set with a 1/8" plug into the audio out on the mini amp to line monitor quietly and privately. I'm sure the concept of wireless headphones could also work in this case, too.

#10 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:17 PM

I wasn't useing mine rite, the monitor button does work.

#11 GUEST_random hero 421_***

GUEST_random hero 421_***
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:25 PM

The one that sounds most plausible is the recorder idea. I have plenty of cash and I think that'll do the trick. Thanks!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!