Photo
- - - - -

os fun!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:27 PM

I curently have a computer (custom built) that loads a choice of linux, or XP profesional. I was woundering, how many OSes can i get on 1 comp (hard drive space permiting)?

BTW, I've alwaysed used windows and I'm trying to learn linux, but its a little hard, any help?

#2 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:34 PM

as much as you want, depending on which OS you install. windows and freebsd use 1 primary partition(there's 4 by harddrive) but linux can be installed on logical partitions(limit?).

i remember some guy put 37 different OS'es on 6 HDs.

edit: found it http://www.maximumpc...2002-09-24.html

#3 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:44 PM

wow 37, if he gets arested, the fbi will go crazy trying to get anthing off his comp.

#4 v90

v90

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:47 PM

I have 4 running, but I'm gonna try to also run BeOS (I need a life ^_^) so hopefully it doesn't go crazy and format everything... :wacko:

#5 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:53 PM

what would you guys recomend for learning linux, books, or just mess around till I learn?

#6 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 10:24 PM

what would you guys recomend for learning linux, books, or just mess around till I learn?

I'd install some distro and mess with stuff until it breaks. then you'll have to learn how to fix it :P

#7 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:36 PM

I just run VMWare with a shit load of memory.

#8 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:32 AM

I'm about ready to dual boot this machine with some form of slackware. By far, the best way to learn is to pick a stable distro (Red Hat), and try your best to get every peripheral (sp) you own to work on it. You'll learn compiling, editing config files, working around the directory, working in the shell, etc. Once you've exausted all your hardware, start building a server with web, ftp, etc. Just have fun. Explore.

#9 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:03 PM

well, the problem with picking redhat and learning is that every peripheral is already working :lol: i suggest getting a slackware system up and running, its a challenge for the noobie, and it also gives you a great deal of satisfaction when you make something that works.
<bad advice> after you make it work go in and recompile your kernel adding and taking out support for hardware you've never heard of, then try and get your system back up and running because you forgot that term paper on it.....</bad advice>

#10 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:23 PM

Slackware IS a good distro to start out with.. its the distro I started out with myself, and it forces you to think and learn.

#11 v90

v90

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:58 PM

Slackware IS a good distro to start out with.. its the distro I started out with myself, and it forces you to think and learn.

Hell yeah! Me too, Slackware 8.1 was my first distro and I've never installed any other Linux distro (*BSD now for me ^_^)

#12 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

fuk with things then just chill in the irc channel. heh youll need somebodys help

i dont reccomend starting with slack...it causes alot of stress you do learn but its not worth it

#13 falloutboy

falloutboy

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:46 PM

The answer depends on how much you already know. If you're starting from scratch, do yourself a favor and install a distribution that will configure everything for you. The Linux console can be a little bit complicated to learn (and at some point, no matter how exciting your distribution's graphical apps are, you will eventually have to use the console). If you already know how to get around a shell, Debian is a great way to learn a lot more about maintaining a system without banging your head against the table every time you install another application because of dependencies. Like the other replies said, Redhat is probably the easiest way to go if you're jumping in for the first time.

#14 1337

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 02:32 PM

I'm in the same boat as phreakblaze. I know nothing of Linux. I want to have a dual boot system but I have no room for Linux anymore. Running Knoppix. The only stuff I can do in the shell is the stuff that's the same as DOS (which I know fairly well). I can't even get eDonkey running under Knoppix.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!