- - - - -

Linux on Laptops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_wasabeE_teE_***

GUEST_wasabeE_teE_***
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:41 PM

I am planning on buying a new laptop, and alienware is one of my first choices. Several thoughts come to mind...
1. Can i dual boot with xp and *nix?
2. Will the wifi card supplied with it (Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100) be compatible?
3. Is the machine itself (Area-51m:Sentia Extreme) hardware compatible?
I have seen references made to http://www.linux-laptop.net/ but Alienware isnt part of their data base. If you have any experience with this problem, nething would be helpful. Is alienware even a good choice for a networked desktop replacement??? Criticisim is NEEDED, tnx

#2 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

1. yes
2. not sure, but from what i've read so far, it seems unsupported by linux because of some FCC regulation problems
3. this might answer your question http://www.sequent.o...l-alienware.htm

#3 sundevil

sundevil

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:20 PM

to address the last part of your post...

"Is alienware even a good choice for a networked desktop replacement??? "

that's a good question.

i don't pretend to be an expert on alienware gear.
but, i was under the impression that alienware made designer gaming gear.
it seems like ovekill for *nix based wireless laptop.

what else do you plan on doing with the machine?
what does 'networked desktop replacement' mean to you?
i'd suggest cruising through linux4laptops for gear that is supported,
as well as googling for wireless nics supported and go from there.....

alienware seems like a weird choice to me (unless yer a big gamer)
but, what do i know,i'm a cheapsake....

(i'm typing this on a 4 yr. old sony laptop...that i picked up for $50... with a $20 wireless card

#4 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 09:32 AM

Here what you can do:

Instead fo wasting all that money for a alienware lapptop (they are well known as very expensive) check out online and see about other ways you can spend that to get more out of the money you have; If you look around online your going to find some good deals, and it may be better and cheaper then bying expensive name brand system.

#5 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:29 AM

I know two people who own alienware laptops. After using one myself, I've come to find out a few things. First, they are gaming machines. They are not made for anything other then LAN parties and really really hefty desktop replacements. The battery life on one of this puppies is about 30 minutes. It is designed to always be plugged in. They get pretty hot, and in my opinion, not the best quality.

Dell laptops are cheaper, almost as powerful, and more reliable. They also have much more support in the Linux community. I'd say save your money. But if you really want to buy it, the Alienware is one of the best power-house laptops out there.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!