• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:14 PM

ok, so i just got a cdrw drive for my linux machine (yay) and was recompiling the kernel to add scsi emulation for atapi drives and all that, and my computer just shut down (boo)!! oh man, i was pissed. i guess i had gkrellm running and it was prolly set to shut down the pc when the cpu hit some high temperature (and with all that compiling it prolly did). so, i didn't get a new kernel, but all my modules got deleted....oh well, so the really sad part of this is that i did not backup my shit before doing this, anyway, i think it is time for a reinstall :D . so now, i'm trying to recompile the kernel (2.4.20) but it's giving me some error on the /net/network.o file, don't know why, don't know how, i'm just gonna get the sources again and try again.......

#2 v90

v90

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:38 PM

ok, so i just got a cdrw drive for my linux machine (yay) and was recompiling the kernel to add scsi emulation for atapi drives and all that, and my computer just shut down (boo)!! oh man, i was pissed. i guess i had gkrellm running and it was prolly set to shut down the pc when the cpu hit some high temperature (and with all that compiling it prolly did). so, i didn't get a new kernel, but all my modules got deleted....oh well, so the really sad part of this is that i did not backup my shit before doing this, anyway, i think it is time for a reinstall :D . so now, i'm trying to recompile the kernel (2.4.20) but it's giving me some error on the /net/network.o file, don't know why, don't know how, i'm just gonna get the sources again and try again.......

Just do a make clean instead of getting new sources.

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:52 PM

screw that, i just got the 2.4.21 sources and they compiled all right, now to boot my hot-out-of-the-compiler kernel ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

ok, well something didn't work, the kernel doesn't boot, and by the way, is /boot/config in slackware the equiavelent of /boot/initrd on other distros?? and if so how do i update it for my new kernel??

#4 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:52 AM

fuck it, im just gonna reinstall and recompile my kernel then.

ok, so i wanted to save my files and i figured id use knoppix, oh man, im so glad knoppix exists. KNOPPIX IS THE SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 01:44 PM

im so glad knoppix exists. KNOPPIX IS THE SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot the 'yo'...

Knoppis is da shit, yo!

:D

#6 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:13 PM

is /boot/config in slackware the equiavelent of /boot/initrd on other distros?? and if so how do i update it for my new kernel??

Nah /boot/config is actually a symlink to config-ide-<kernelversion>. It's just a text file created when you make config, make menuconfig, or make xconfig.

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:29 PM

feend: oh ok, thanks, thats good to know

well, i reinstalled slack 9 after playing around in knoppix, i didn't loose any files since i copies them onto my redhat partition......now on to upgrading to the new 2.6 kernel...w00t
i read it's way faster than 2.4 on networking applications.......

#8 Access Excess

Access Excess

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:36 PM

hac, there wasn't any need for you to recompile the kernel. As far as I know you're using Slackware 9.0 and all I did to get my burner going was to add "append = hdc = ide-scsi" (replace "hdc" with the device for the IDE channel your burner is on) in /etc/lilo.conf and it should load the ide-scsi module for you. After that you would do a "cdrecord -scanbus" and check the location of burner...

#9 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:44 PM

yeah, i tried that at first, but when i did a cdrecord -scanbus it came up with nothing, so i just decided it was time for a kernel recompile anyway :) well, now that i have slack back up and running, i want to upgrade all my shit before i recover my files....

ok, i got the 2.6.0-test4 kernel running, and after upgrading to the new module-init-tools package, i get teh : FATAL: <some module> module not found.

i put some module in because it gives me this error with ALL of the modules, anybody got any ideas?

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 07:51 PM

ok, well in the end its back to old faithful, 2.4.20 has taken me through a lot and it prolly will work just fine until 2.6 is ready for primetime.
well, after screwing around with 2.6 for a couple of days, i have to say the desktop felt faster than with the 2.4 kernels, for real, apps loaded faster, and it felt responsive, but in the end, its still not ready....i guess thats why its still a beta (or whatever pre-release stage it's in).

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!