• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:55 PM

Just wondering if Kondor or anyone can help,

After trying to get knoppix going on my laptop im having some issues...
First, the GUI is real slow loading as i've only got a 4x cd rom, so I decided to boot up onto the command line only. However the command line doesn’t recognise the screen size properly - knoppix seems to think my screen is about 5cm bigger than it actually is at the side and bottom which means I cant see any menu's etc at the bottom/side when running vi etc

Is their some kind of screen size setting program etc in *nix?

And can anyone recommend a distro with good wireless support to *attempt* to put on the other half of my drive which currently has 2k on it.

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:52 PM

Wi-fi doesn't get any easier than on Red Hat 7.3. In fact (shameless plug), there's an article at oldskoolphreak.com called Wi-Fi on Linux Made Easy that details setting up wireless on Red Hat 7.3.

#3 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried putting Red Hat on the laptop, however it refused to boot from the Red Hat cd (which I burnt from iso). I tried creating a boot floppy, however that didn’t work, then I tried booting from my Windows boot cd, and running the autoboot thing from the dosutils directory, howver it hung on PCMCIA card detaection, so I took the cards out and it still hund :wacko:

- So im now trying to see if Mandrake will go on their and I will perhaps put red hat over it or something. ;)

#4 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 05:22 PM

sorry I was not able to help sooner, and now. What verison are you trying to install?
for your screen size you can type this: xf86config and answer the questions especially the screen res. part. Once you did that do this: CTRL + ALT "backspace key" which will restart X windows.
OR you can try cycling through the pre configured screen settings by doing this: CTRL + ALT + "+" or "-"
not sure what it will do.
With Red Hat try using different boot options. I am starting not to like redhat. Dont try Lindows!!! It has nothing that Debian does not provide. On that note try debian. It is not as user friendly but it is pure of any commerialism, tons of packages!!! It also assumes you are not stupid, I really like that.

#5 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 05:27 PM

oh yeah, Lindows is built totally on debian technology. It's "click and run" program is basically Dselect in a pretty KDE look.
They choose Debian because of its Non-commerciality.

#6 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 05:53 PM

I was trying to put on Red Hat 7.3.
Tried the xf86config thing, however it looked like some menu system I would have to go through each time I started knoppix unless I did a hard disk install etc.

The xf86config thing was also off the screen (so I was unable to use it) even after totally clearing the screen with “clear” as it seemed to render from the bottom of the screen going up. - I guess the solution would be to do it on another machine and copy it over or something.

About debian, I don’t think id be ready for it if it assumes your not stupid (me having very limited experience with *nix) ;)

Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!