Photo
- - - - -

Creating device steams i/o with compiled apps?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 01:30 PM

Im looking for ways to turn my voice app into a standard device file so I can have everything that is printed to the console spoken after I link the 2.

I can pipe data streams to the app easy enough, by doing it with some basic bash scripting like so:
echo $(command) | say

but Im not sure about direct io as a /dev/file , such as /dev/voice, and if I can work out a way to set it up as such, then I dont even have to worry about having a monitor or straining to see it.

My end goal is to link /dev/tty1 to /dev/voice and have everything spoken.

I was hoping any you would have the answer I am looking for; In turn I could take your answer and compile a ttorial or package for fellow blind linux users, giving you credit for your work of course.

This would really help me out.. got any ideas?

#2 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:37 PM

Hmm having a hell of a time finding stuff on programming for the ttys. The below link was as close as I got.

http://en.tldp.org/L...es/devices.html

:go: Oh yeah thanks for offering hosting. I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it :).

#3 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 04:36 PM

Thank you.. Im starting to think a modified login or tty driver would be best.. all I really need is something that takes all text outputed, parses it a little to make it more compatible with audio output and take out any non alphanumaric values, then sends it off to be spoken.

On that note, perhaps I should be looking into kernal mod. programming..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!