- - - - -

Cell phones, usb, and firmware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_Shin_***

GUEST_Shin_***
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2003 - 12:38 PM

I just got a new cell phone (Motorola 120e), and noticed online that there is a USB data cable I can buy for the phone. The data cable comes with software which lets you change the address book, calendar, etc and also lets you use the phone as a modem. Since it's hooked up via USB, it has support some part of the USB protocol, right? I've done a small amount of research on USB, and there are many different device classes, and firmware upgrade is one of them.

The firmware upgrade spec allows for the download and upload of firmware to/from the device. What I'm thinking is that if the device supports firmware upgrade, code could be written which could rip firmware from *any* USB device, not just the specific one in question. Also, code could be written which could download firmware onto *any* USB device. fxload already does the download portion but it only does it for devices based on certain microcontrollers.

If anyone has experience with USB/firmware and the like, I would like to learn more about it. If the spec is publicly available, how hard can it be to write code that accomplishes the above purposes? Is this easy, or is my thinking too simplistic?

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 12:58 PM

first of all, very interesting idea.

The only thing I can add is that while researching my motorola T720i, I found and subscribed to the motorola developers club. I do not have the URL off hand here at work, but if you poke aroun dtheir site a bit, you will see it. It is free and they make available a lot of documentation and protocol/architecture information.

have phun!

#3 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 01:32 PM

have phun!

And feel free to register :D

#4 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 05:06 PM

I was thinking of doing some phone reverse engineering via USB and it looked like usb-robot was the best way to go.

Combined with usbsniff you can use it to rapidly write USB drivers and reverse engineer device protocols.

I don't think that the firmware upgrade stuff is standard on weird devices like cell phones so this was the only approach that I saw that had a chance of working.

#5 Shin

Shin

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 04:58 PM

ntheory, thanks for the links. libusb looks like a good start

ooh yeah, and I did register, too : )

#6 Dial Tone

Dial Tone

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 07:52 PM

I have that phone too! (120e)

Do you know any tricks with it?

#7 Shin

Shin

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 01:03 PM

Yeah,
cellphonehacks.com has some info on the 120e.. The only thing I know how to do is put it in test mode.

Motorola codes - the discussion forum for motorola codes..

Test mode (from that forum):

press Menu
press 0
press 0
press *
press *
type testmode ( 83786633 ) press this quickly
press *

thats it, to exit, press menu and than the left softkey
if u dont get it the first time, try again
maybe someone can tell me what this all means
but u have to option of some advanced settings

Like that guy said, I don't know what all this stuff is. The 120e supposedly has a gps built in, but I can't get it to work.. there's more info in that thread

gotta run

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!