44 replies to this topic

#1 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

Area Code 813
Here in the Tampa area, we gots payphones, and Wi-Fi networks out the ass. You just have to look in the right areas.

Possible locations:
Citrus Park Town Center- Payphones, nice food court, close proximity to Westchase, a neighborhood with dozens of unencrypted wireless networks (trust me, it's a potential hacker playground), and a wicked awesome 20-screen movie theater.
Blackhawk Coffee Cafe- Very good coffeehouse and nice local Wi-Fi hotspot. Between Bayshore Blvd and I-4.
University Mall- Across the street lies Jimmy John's: the BEST SANDWICH SHOP EVER.

I know there are meetings in Orlando and Boca Raton, but those are far away. Tampa is nice, I only live 30 minutes southwest of the metro Tampa area.

I know me and Exvitel live and go to skool here (the same skool, in fact), and if anyone else is in or near the 813, gimme a shout. I'm around.

Edited by Da Ch33z, 21 June 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#2 spinsane

spinsane

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

I'm in 813 and would be interested in attending meetings. Keep in mind, I don't know much about this stuff, so I'd just be there to hang out and steal your women.

We used to have 2600 meetings here at the University Mall. I only attended the first one, but there was a good turnout. I know Replax was there (he gave me a 13" monitor! :), and quite a few others, like 813error and a bunch of people who's names I unfortunately don't remember.

Anyhow, I like the idea of University Mall as it's pretty centralized - although I personally am willing to travel. Oh yeah, Ozlo from the IRC channel is in 813 too. And I may be able to get a couple of friends to attend.

#3 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

Fubster drove to the Orlando meeting once, and Enigma wanted to but just decided it was to far from Tampa. Those are just the people that come to mind, there are others I know that live in Tampa/St. Pete too. Sounds like there is more than enough interest to get a meet started.

#4 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

Fubster drove to the Orlando meeting once, and Enigma wanted to but just decided it was to far from Tampa. Those are just the people that come to mind, there are others I know that live in Tampa/St. Pete too. Sounds like there is more than enough interest to get a meet started.

Well, I was wondering how we could organize one. I suck at these things, so a lot of help would be...well...helpful.

#5 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

Oh OK man. I didn't see you say how. All I saw was this, which kind of look liked you were wondering if there would be turnout.

I know me and Exvitel live and go to skool here (the same skool, in fact), and if anyone else is in or near the 813, gimme a shout. I'm around.

If you go to http://binrevmeetings.com and scroll down to the "how" section it'll fill you in. Send an email off as described and you'll be in business. After that make a site with your leet 813.binrevmeetings subdomain and spread the word. Post a link in the forum here, your local Craigslist, tell people you know are interested at school, shout in the median of a large intersection with a bullhorn, etc. HTH, later. :D

#6 spinsane

spinsane

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a meeting local here. Stankdawg suggested on IRC that some 813/727 people head to the 407 meeting, but honestly, I-4 on a Friday? No thanks :) My car would probably overheat and explode.

OP, let me know if you need help. I might be able to drive some people from the New Tampa area if anyone needs a lift.

Ass, cash or grass, no one rides for free. You have been forewarned.

#7 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

Area Code 813
Here in the Tampa area, we gots payphones, and Wi-Fi networks out the ass. You just have to look in the right areas.

Possible locations:
Citrus Park Town Center- Payphones, nice food court, close proximity to Westchase, a neighborhood with dozens of unencrypted wireless networks (trust me, it's a potential hacker playground), and a wicked awesome 20-screen movie theater.
Blackhawk Coffee Cafe- Very good coffeehouse and nice local Wi-Fi hotspot. Between Bayshore Blvd and I-4.
University Mall- Across the street lies Jimmy John's: the BEST SANDWICH SHOP EVER.

I know there are meetings in Orlando and Boca Raton, but those are far away. Tampa is nice, I only live 30 minutes southwest of the metro Tampa area.

You read my mind i was thinking about orginizing something for a July meeting maybe at University Mall ive got some guys comming from my college that are interested I think we might have enough to make this happen any prefrence on a date and time?

-Enigma

#8 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

You read my mind i was thinking about orginizing something for a July meeting maybe at University Mall ive got some guys comming from my college that are interested I think we might have enough to make this happen any prefrence on a date and time?

Well, I obviously cannot speak for anyone but myself, but my personal schedule allows for anything after July 16. I'm out of town almost all of July before 16, in San Antonio and Chicago and such.

If late July works for anyone else, I'm game. (Edit: Also note that school in Hillsborough County starts ridiculously early, like August 4)

Edited by Da Ch33z, 23 June 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#9 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

Well, I obviously cannot speak for anyone but myself, but my personal schedule allows for anything after July 16. I'm out of town almost all of July before 16, in San Antonio and Chicago and such.

If late July works for anyone else, I'm game. (Edit: Also note that school in Hillsborough County starts ridiculously early, like August 4)

Well how about July 22 it's on a friday night anyone have any conflicts with that?

-Enigma

#10 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Well how about July 22 it's on a friday night anyone have any conflicts with that?

My calendar has the 22nd on a Saturday, but I might be able to do that. I'll have to wait and see, since my cousin may come to visit from SC.

#11 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hey, I just had a fabulous idea. My mom works for the Weekly Planet. If you're not familiar with it, it's a weird local weekly newspaper (also known as Creative Loafing in Atlanta and Charlotte). Anyway, I can get an ad for the meeting for free or very mucho cheap if we can set a date, place, time, etc. for it. The Planet is popular among more "alternative" audiences (like phreaks/geeks, gays, and hardcore liberals), so odds are there will be at least some readers interested. I'll see what I can do.

</Ch33z>

#12 zer0dB

zer0dB

Mack Daddy 31337

• 214 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

When you all are ready email 411@binrevmeetings for your free 813.binrevmeetings website.

-zer0dB

#13 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

My calendar has the 22nd on a Saturday, but I might be able to do that. I'll have to wait and see, since my cousin may come to visit from SC.

i ment the 21 but either day works for me and that would be cool for some advertising

-Enigma

#14 Exvitel

Exvitel

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:13 AM

I'm in 813 and would be interested in attending meetings. Keep in mind, I don't know much about this stuff, so I'd just be there to hang out and steal your women.

We used to have 2600 meetings here at the University Mall. I only attended the first one, but there was a good turnout. I know Replax was there (he gave me a 13" monitor! :), and quite a few others, like 813error and a bunch of people who's names I unfortunately don't remember.

Anyhow, I like the idea of University Mall as it's pretty centralized - although I personally am willing to travel. Oh yeah, Ozlo from the IRC channel is in 813 too. And I may be able to get a couple of friends to attend.

And Cr45Du57 and Badger :) . I went to one, but that was the last meeting.

#15 spinsane

spinsane

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

Lots to reply to here.

1st - Advertising in the Weekly Planet would be HUGE. That is incredibly awesome if you can pull that off :)
2nd - Isn't there a standard day of the month binrev meetings are held on? Like 2600 is the first Friday, yadayada... and aren't they supposed to happen at like 7pm?
3rd - As much as I dislike the University Mall, I believe it was chosen for the 2600 meetings because of it's relatively central location in the bay area. You guys are talking about the Citrus Park Mall, which while a nice mall is pretty far away from everyone in Central / East Tampa (Brandon as well). Perhaps we could meet at one of the Borders or Barnes and Nobles that dot Dale Mabry? University Mall was hard to communicate at, as it was so loud...
I think that would be a good compromise as Dale Mabry is pretty much right off of i-275.

That's about all I have. One of you emailed me (sorry I haven't replied yet) about me putting up the website. I believe this email was sent before a lot of you other people replied to this thread. I can't manage a website, mainly because I'm awful at html :) I'm sure someone else could handle it.

That's all I've got for now. Hope this goes through, I'm itchy for some tech talk.

#16 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

Lots to reply to here.

1st - Advertising in the Weekly Planet would be HUGE. That is incredibly awesome if you can pull that off :)
2nd - Isn't there a standard day of the month binrev meetings are held on? Like 2600 is the first Friday, yadayada... and aren't they supposed to happen at like 7pm?
3rd - As much as I dislike the University Mall, I believe it was chosen for the 2600 meetings because of it's relatively central location in the bay area. You guys are talking about the Citrus Park Mall, which while a nice mall is pretty far away from everyone in Central / East Tampa (Brandon as well). Perhaps we could meet at one of the Borders or Barnes and Nobles that dot Dale Mabry? University Mall was muhard to communicate at, as it was so loud...
I think that would be a good compromise as Dale Mabry is pretty much right off of i-275.

That's about all I have. One of you emailed me (sorry I haven't replied yet) about me putting up the website. I believe this email was sent before a lot of you other people replied to this thread. I can't manage a website, mainly because I'm awful at html :) I'm sure someone else could handle it.

That's all I've got for now. Hope this goes through, I'm itchy for some tech talk.

to answer your comments

i agree that advertising is a great idea anything to get the word out is well worth it
second binrev meetings are usually held on the third friday of every month and that's why i suggested the 21 as a meeting date
and third the reason i suggested University mall is that it would be much easier to find for someone not farmiliar with the area and it's a pretty much centralized location

but those are just my thoughts

-Enigma

#17 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Yes, University Mall is perfect. Citrus Park wasn't just a personal preference, believe me, I live all the way ouy in Apollo Beach. I was just saying it had a lot of features.

So here's what I got:
Who- Geeks of the world
What- Binary Revolution 813/727 local meeting
When- Friday, July 21 @ (?)7:00p(?)
Where- University Mall Food Court
Why- Because it's cool

Is this okay? I just need all the details if I'm gonna post a listing in the Weekly Planet, since my mom said I could. Employees get free ads :P .
If there is anything I need to include, something that needs to be changed, or whatever, correct me and post a new "who, what, when...etc."

</Ch33z>

#18 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

Yes, University Mall is perfect. Citrus Park wasn't just a personal preference, believe me, I live all the way ouy in Apollo Beach. I was just saying it had a lot of features.

So here's what I got:
Who- Geeks of the world
What- Binary Revolution 813/727 local meeting
When- Friday, July 21 @ (?)7:00p(?)
Where- University Mall Food Court
Why- Because it's cool

Is this okay? I just need all the details if I'm gonna post a listing in the Weekly Planet, since my mom said I could. Employees get free ads :P .
If there is anything I need to include, something that needs to be changed, or whatever, correct me and post a new "who, what, when...etc."

</Ch33z>

you might want to mention that it is computer security related meeting how ever you want to put it is fine and i was thinking more like 6pm but everything else is fine

and by the way thanks for the help

-Enigma

#19 Da Ch33z

Da Ch33z

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:18 PM

Okay, so the "when" factor has been changed to (Friday, July 21 @ 6:00p)
Everything else stands as is.

Also, a question. When you say "computer security related meeting", what exactly do you mean? I don't really know what goes on at these meetings, as I have never been to one. Skip the next part. It's stupid.

<rant>
{Reader Advisory: Unnecessary content}
The following is unnecessary and totally unrelated to the meeting and stuff. It is a long and exaggerated response to the words "thanks for the help" in the previous post, as well as me realizing exactly why I joined binrev forums in the first place. It actually sounds kinda like a pity story. jajajaja. Do not read if you are pregnant, lactating (that means you, Exvitel), or if you sit within 50 feet of open mayonnaise.

I try to help as much as I can for someone who has as little prior knowledge as I do. I can't really help too much on the forums, because I'm a hopeless n00b, but I like learning. If information is a drug, I'd snort it for breakfast. So if you need someone to teach stuff to, teach me. As I progress in skool and gain many unbelievable skillz, then I can step up and be like the rest of you forum regulars. But for now, I just observe and add my own witty commentary and severely limitx0r'd knowledge where I can. fjear.
</rant>

So I guess I'll see you all in late July, unless I get killed by super muscular midgets before then. But hell, even if I am dead, I'll try to show up anyway.
~Ch33z

Edited by Da Ch33z, 24 June 2006 - 04:19 PM.

#20 Exvitel

Exvitel

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:53 AM

Okay, so the "when" factor has been changed to (Friday, July 21 @ 6:00p)
Everything else stands as is.

Also, a question. When you say "computer security related meeting", what exactly do you mean? I don't really know what goes on at these meetings, as I have never been to one. Skip the next part. It's stupid.

<rant>
{Reader Advisory: Unnecessary content}
The following is unnecessary and totally unrelated to the meeting and stuff. It is a long and exaggerated response to the words "thanks for the help" in the previous post, as well as me realizing exactly why I joined binrev forums in the first place. It actually sounds kinda like a pity story. jajajaja. Do not read if you are pregnant, lactating (that means you, Exvitel), or if you sit within 50 feet of open mayonnaise.

I try to help as much as I can for someone who has as little prior knowledge as I do. I can't really help too much on the forums, because I'm a hopeless n00b, but I like learning. If information is a drug, I'd snort it for breakfast. So if you need someone to teach stuff to, teach me. As I progress in skool and gain many unbelievable skillz, then I can step up and be like the rest of you forum regulars. But for now, I just observe and add my own witty commentary and severely limitx0r'd knowledge where I can. fjear.
</rant>

So I guess I'll see you all in late July, unless I get killed by super muscular midgets before then. But hell, even if I am dead, I'll try to show up anyway.
~Ch33z

Chill out, you'l be fine. When school starts I'll let you re-borrow the Python book and a crap load others. You'll be fine at the meting, we will all sit around talking about security to programming to electrical engineering. It'll be fun, don't worry.

BTW, We ned to start an electrical/hardware project because we could both benefit, since you know more than me.

Don't worry, man, you'll have fun I promise. You will learn alot and people will explain little things, or I'll try to translate :P

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!