Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

google.com -> whatismyip

(should show your proxy's server)

http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

(should see through your proxy server)

... Just thought it was another interesting example of when people feel secure even though they are not.

Cheers,
GITM

#2 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Are you 100% sure about this? Every time I load a proxy, I use showmyip.com and magically, it doesn't show my IP but the IP of the proxy (like it's supposed to). If you use shitty proxies or software that leaks requests, you'll most likely see your own IP instead.

#3 Valex

Valex

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

Not sure what proxy your using. it doesnt my show my IP only the IP of my proxy server. I think you are missinformed.

#4 nullkraft

nullkraft

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Binrev Financier
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

Shows only my proxy. Besides, if they figure a way to backtrack through ssh then we're all in trouble.

#5 G0053

G0053

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

total noob/scri....oh you get it. well i don't understand what is going on. All i see is my ip what is so sepcial? Please explain it like i am mentally retarted cause i must be to not understand what it happeing.

#6 nullkraft

nullkraft

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Binrev Financier
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:44 PM

total noob/scri....oh you get it. well i don't understand what is going on. All i see is my ip what is so sepcial? Please explain it like i am mentally retarted cause i must be to not understand what it happeing.

Well, when you go out on the internet you have a couple of different choices; First you can connect directly through your internet service provider (ISP) or second you can connect to another computer and then out to the net.

The problem with a direct connection is that your ISP can monitor everything you are doing and other people on the net can backtrack to get your IP address. Once they have that they can sue you. Think about the RIAA.

The solution is to connect to another computer which acts like your proxy to get onto the net. If you use a proxy that has a secure connection then your ISP can no longer report all your activities to the Fed's.

By going to a website like whatismyip.com you can verify if your proxy is working correctly or not. If it is, it will report back to you the IP address of the proxy and if not, your IP address.

#7 RootSnatch

RootSnatch

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:29 AM

basiclly, if it is seeing your ip, not the proxies, than you are doing something wrong, I correct proxy will mask your real ip

#8 Mr Dink

Mr Dink

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:02 AM

Maybe before you post here, you should at least look up "proxy" on wikipedia.org or something. Personally, I use a good proxy so my IP NEVER shows up.

#9 Professor Bagelwood

Professor Bagelwood

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, sorry chief, but I think it's time for two of my favorite acronyms to be spoken.

1. PIBKAC.
2. RTFM.

If you know something is supposed to work a certain way and isn't working that way for you, it's always wise to assume that the problem is on your end.

If you're only using a transparent or level one proxy, than yes, it will show your IP. But that's only because transparent proxies -- as their name suggests -- aren't mean for ensuring anonymity so much as cleaning up the communications between you and the server you're accessing. In other words, it's more of a filter than a mask.

If you want to be perfectly anonymous in such a way that people can't tell that you're using a proxy, then what you want is a level five or elite proxy.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Tor network. You get all the benefits of a dynamic network of level five proxies, plus the inherant security benefits of onion style encryption (and not just on the data packets either). They also have a web site to let you know if you have it set up right by checking you against their own dynamic list. Here's the link. Get the package that bundles Tor with Privoxy and you'll be one happy camper.

Edited by Professor Bagelwood, 12 June 2006 - 03:37 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!