#1 darkraider

darkraider

Sean who? I'M THE FUCKING MAN!!!

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 07:27 PM

Hey
How can u start a streaming radio playing music with out breaking the law
WhiteRaven Shut down the station and he said to contact Stank to help explain how to start a streaming radio station legally.

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 08:08 PM

streaming music can only be done legally if you have permission to the music (public domain). I never said anything about streaming music legally. I can help create and stream a radio show, so can dual, which is what I offered. So what exactly do you want to do?

FYI: I get permission from the artists on ALL the music I close the show with. These are independant artists who need the publicity. there is no trick to streaming copywritten music legally unless you live outside of the united states and even then, I do not know the details of US copyright law and its enforcement abroad.

#3 darkraider

darkraider

Sean who? I'M THE FUCKING MAN!!!

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 08:14 PM

I am to help axid with starting a streaming radio station. What I will do then is contact a few artist from mp3.com and see if we can air there music on the station .

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 08:27 PM

ok, well you might want to read This thread for some past discussion on this.

The bottom line is bandwidth. Even if you have your own server, you will need to pay for bandwidth. dual and I realized that to run a server out of your house will take a full-on T-1 or higher which is big bux.

If you want a company to host it, you will still pay big bux. 200 per month and that is for low quality (56k max) and a limited number of users. As you can see from that thread, we realized that it would cost too much money to start our own server so we put the project on hold.

If you are independantly wealthy, by all means, give it a shot! :) Then, when we get teh magazine up and running and can afford the hosting, we can ask you for help! :)

#5 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 08:34 PM

you could always do what rantradio does and get some mirrors up.
Cimm has his station running on a cable modem and thats how it started

#6 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 09:03 AM

The main reason i suspended that project was becouse theyt wanted to stream people like eminem who are a part of the RIAA.. I may not like the riaa, but Im not going to get duane in trouble with them as his info is on the records for hhc; What type of friend would I be if I let that happen, after all.

The cost of Streaming music from the big lables is about 10cents a song, per listener..so lets do the math.

$cost = ((Listeners * Songs) * 0.10)

Thus if we have 10 users connected for lets say 100 hours of the possible 168 ina week, for 4 weeks to make a month, at a average of 4 min) per song, here is the cost:

$Cost_In_Cents =(((10p * 2520s) * 10c) * 4w)

1008000 = $Cost_in_Cents

Or in dollars: $10,080 a month, and thats using very conservitive data - As the main maintainer of HHC, I would be liable for that cost.. and I dont even make that in a year, I think I may live off of that ever 2 years or so, but as you can see I cant afford topay the fees, so Im not even going to try to stream stuff I have to pay for: There are many artists out there that we just need to ask, that are independent and dont work as minions to the RIAA, like NINA:Goddess of dance or Lucky 7 .. besides I thing there music is better then most RIAA indorsed crap anyway.

I ahve no problem with HHC havign a radio, in fact I encourage it: but we need to jump through the hoops to prove that we are indeed the honorable hackers and thus the honorable peopel we claim to be.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!