• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BigBrother

BigBrother

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, I am having a bit of trouble here.
I have a compaq presario 2200 laptop (you can shoot me after I get it working). I have the package I need to get it to accept my drivers. After I tar the file and try to MAKE INSTALL to install it I get the error. BASH couldnt find MAKE. Did I install it wrong and the make package is just missing? Or am I trying to install the file wrong. The package is ipw2200-1.1.1.tgz. I have used windows all my life untill this point. I'm sorry for asking a generic question like this. Can anyone help me?

#2 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:23 AM

Sure man, you dont have make installed. What distro are you using? Is it Ubuntu, I know that doesn't come with it. If it is just do a "sudo apt-get install build-essential make" in the shell.

#3 BigBrother

BigBrother

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

Yeah it's Ubuntu. Thanks for the tip I will try it and let you know what happened.

#4 digitalgalileo

digitalgalileo

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

What version of ubuntu are you using because I know the latest version 5.10 comes with the drivers for the ipw2200 i'm using it right now.

#5 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

I'm pretty sure that ubuntu does come with make.

Do this:

In ubuntu there is no root account by default so to log inas root you have to type "sudo -s" from your account.

#6 snow

snow

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

Actually it doesn't.

#7 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

Actually it doesn't.

Hmm, I guess I was wrong. But that's kinda messed up. Why wouldn't they have make already instaled?

#8 2geeky

2geeky

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

I think the last version of Fedora I played with , "Fedora Core 2," did not have make either. Ubuntu does this because they want you to use apt-get or the synaptic package manager (the GUI version of apt-get). Adding make is easy all you need is to run "sudo apt-get install make" at a terminal window.

As awsome as Ubuntu is, it is a "desktop Linux for the People" kind of distro, and therefore is geared toward the lower common denominator with repect to Linux knowledge. Most people in that range would not know what to do with make, or more importantly (my self included on this point) know how to update/patch any software that was compiled with make. Whereas if you use apt-get or synaptic it will update it automatically when a newer version of the application hits the repositories, even if it is an application from the Universal mode, and as we all know up to date applications are more secure and more stable. Synaptic is on at start up and scans the repositories automatically every time you log in and will tell you when there are updates.

#9 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:38 PM

http://ubuntuforums....ead.php?t=26623

http://doc.gwos.org/...Install_ipw2200

However, the 5.10 (breezy) works with ipw2200 out of the box. My Dell 700m has an ipw2200 and I didn't do anything extra to get it working after a fresh install.

FYI, Ubuntu DOES have a root account by default, however for security you cannot login as root directly. You can `su -` to root.

#10 BigBrother

BigBrother

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

Well guys life decided to rear it's ugly head once again. I had just installed IPW2200 and make and had to shut down (It was late and I needed to download the IEEE package) When I booted it up the next morning when my windows partition of the HDD Bluescreened me, I tried what I could to fix it, in the end I reinstalled windows. Without grub installed it just went to windows. Well it pissed me off that it even did that, I got a new faster computer and kinda left the laptop in the corner for a bit. Now I have decided to install Fedora core on it. I googled and it seems that fedora core 5 has the 1.0.8 drivers installed. Update that and that's fine. So I guess what i am getting around to asking is, will it dedect my wireless and connect without doing much more than installing fedora it's self. Sorry if this is a n00bish post. Windows raped my computers for the last time.

#11 foldingstock

foldingstock

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:45 AM

Actually it doesn't.

Ubuntu does not come with gcc (or any c compiler). This is to prevent joe average from compiling something on their system that will do more damage then good.

#12 epoise

epoise

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:40 AM

[...]
Ubuntu does not come with gcc (or any c compiler). This is to prevent joe average from compiling something on their system that will do more damage then good.
[...]

And, of course, to prevent someone else from compiling something surreptitiously on the system, especially because the target audience is less technically-inclined.

Fedora will probably work for him, as it configures a lot a things gui-matically and has some good security ideas (SELinux, Firewall etc.).

Edited by epoise, 28 May 2006 - 06:41 AM.

#13 cond0r

cond0r

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

Ubuntu has gcc by default, it isn't COMPLETE though, you have to "apt-get install build essiential" or something along those lines.. its really a distro for a novice in UNIX, www.slackware.com ^_^

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!