• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:31 AM

YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT THE BEAN BURITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:33 AM

Hey, its all in the fine print.

#23 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 04:19 PM

I proberly wouldn't drive around since I am only 12 :P
Anyway I am living in the secound larges city in Demark (wich dosen't say very much...), but I am living outsite of town, actually it's nearly in the country, so I'll take a while for me to get there:(
The gaming comunity is pretty big here, but unfortunatly they sell there computers instead of throwing them away.

hacnslash: Sorry.
Y0ungBra1n: My name is Cr4X :P My brain is like Linux -- case sensitive.

#24 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 10:23 PM

aight, nice to see someone younger than me on the boards :P i'ze is 14 in october

#25 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 09:16 AM

Allright I know this is a stupid question but, what will happen if I install a broken piece of hardware, can it damage the other components...
If it matters it's some plugin card to add 2 xtra USB ports.

#26 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 11:13 AM

Most of the time, no. However, it depends on "how broken" it is. A missing component could cause a higher voltage running through your main board and possibly fry some components.

#27 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 12:29 PM

Can I see/test if it's that broken?

#28 l0cache

l0cache

I'm on default!

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

Any card or piece of equipment has the aboility to seriously damage other components in your system. The card could have any number of faults that could damage your system. Visual inspection will go a long way to avoiding splodin things. Look for obviuos signs of charred components, swollen capacitors, glass bead diodes that are cracked, discoloration of the printed circuit board... Look for scratches on the board that can sometime bridge two closely laid out traces. You can also check the PCI pinout for some obvious short circuits if you have a multimeter. It's also a good idea to wear an antistatic strap when plugin in cards - I've never ever had a problem with static, but everyone seems to think its a big deal. If I'm trying something that I'm not sure will work I always keep my nose close to the board and listen for weird sounds. With some types of switching power supplies a short circuit will cause the power supply to sort of chirp repeatedly. Unplug it immediately. Also install the shit with the power off.
If any of that didn't make sense I can explain it a little better, let me know...

#29 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 03:36 PM

Sure i wouldn't install a hardware componet without plugging off the power :P
But I don't know what a "multimeter" is...
Anyway, I just got the indispenceable PC Hardware book from the library, so I'll try digging something up there.

#30 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 03:39 PM

a multimeter is a device you use to measure votage, amperage, its also known as a voltmeter........

#31 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the help.
I actually think I got that 'multimeter' somewhere.

#32 Pig Monkey

Pig Monkey

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 09:51 PM

3: Anyone know how i should clean and maintain my hardware, to assure I don't get any problems with warmth and so on(dust is a terrible thing). A tutorial would be nice.

Posted Image

And buy everything from NewEgg. Great price + amazing shipping = win.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!