• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:01 AM

I have become very interrested in hardware, since the last time I had to have hardware installed from another person I ordered WinXP Pro with it where he re-formatted my harddrive without taking backup wich pissed me off :angry:

So 3 questions:

1 :Wich manufacturers should I buy from, if I want to be sure I don't get any clone cards?

2: Anyone know a good tutorial for installtion of hardware? The only book I have is "the indispenceable pc hardware book", wich is a little too difficult for me right now.

3: Anyone know how i should clean and maintain my hardware, to assure I don't get any problems with warmth and so on(dust is a terrible thing). A tutorial would be nice.

Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:16 AM

well, i learned by just doing stuff like a flaming idiot. I just put the stuff together and see what happens. I learn a lot of stuff by doing that. now for cleaning, i use nothing more than a can of compressed air to keep dust off. The only thing i ever read up on when i first tried to make a computer was the power issues, stuff like compatability and and colling i leaned by frying things.

#3 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:57 AM

well, i learned by just doing stuff like a flaming idiot. I just put the stuff together and see what happens.

oh yeah, the skills are just running off you aren't they? ^_^

#4 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:12 PM

The reason I had to get it repaired somewhere else is because I screwed up some of the hardware (my cooler went down and I made sure the rest went down too).
I learned a little from my hardware book, but it's way too complex.

For cleaning I got a cd drive cleaner cd, wich has some funny child music, and looks like a DOS/Win 3.1 program ^_^
I got it cause some guy at the university (who repaired my comp), said it would burn down if I didn't clean it every 14 day, but on the package of the cd it's mentioned I should use it for every 10 hours use!!!

/me wished it didn't have copyright so I could upload the music.

#5 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:36 PM

go read up on building your own pc...that will give you a lot of info

#6 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:06 PM

remember: if it's not broken, mess with it until it is! ^_^

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:08 PM

buy from newegg.com
thats where i built my pc from and it was great, very low prices and they dont rape you on the shipping and handling like other *cough*tigerdirect*cough* sites.

#8 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:09 PM

well, i learned by just doing stuff like a flaming idiot. I just put the stuff together and see what happens.

yes, its an unstopable stream, like gummy worms.

But really, thats how i learn alot, by messing with the stuff untill it works. I'm going to build a box of all diffrent types of stuff so i can experiment. They only time i read is stuff like my cisco book, or programing, which i still am yet to read.

BTW, you know how i learned to to put your tongue on a lantern battery???

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:23 AM

yes, its an unstopable stream, like gummy worms.

ROTFLMAO....

But seriously, sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to learn how to make a good omelette.

#10 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:36 AM

I was thinking about a good book for setting up my box, and stuff like that. If I didn't wanna mess with it, I just bought a Dell Inspiration (or wtf they're called) :P

But seriously, sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to learn how to make a good omelette.

Yeah I know, but still, hardware is very expensive, not like eggs?

BTW, nice forum.

*edit* wrote yeha instead of yeah.

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:07 AM

dell inspiron, i think its their laptop line

#12 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:51 AM

You don't need to pay for hardware when you dumpster dive, or find the ones that people through away. Now that i think about it, i was in a B&N reading a comp mag( don't remember what it is) but they took computers off the sidewalks and still found things on the hard drives like credit info, accounts #s and such.

#13 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:23 PM

Do you think I can dumpster dive in such a little country as Denmark?

hacknslash: Yeah inspiration is their laptop line, so I should say this:
If I didn't wanna mess with it, I just bought a Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop...

#14 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

well, my handle is hacnslash no k, not to worry tho, it doesn't really matter. and fuck yeah you can dd!! why not?! i do it in a small town and ive got shitloads of stuff!!

#15 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:58 PM

if theres a dumpster (and no securety and stuff) theres a way.

#16 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:25 AM

thats the philosophies of PhreakBlaze, available for a limited time on hard and paper copies! :lol: BTW, cr4x, like hac said, newegg.com is the shiz! I would also recommend dumster diving while on vacation, or drive around if your really desperate...

#17 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:26 AM

or ride your bike around, its easier to push it behind a dumpster to ensure a fast getaway if spotted, and its not so suspicious as a car.

#18 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:58 AM

thats the philosophies of PhreakBlaze, available for a limited time on hard and paper copies! :lol: BTW, cr4x, like hac said, newegg.com is the shiz!  I would also recommend dumster diving while on vacation, or drive around if your really desperate...

For three one time easy payments of $19.99. Pay with Creditcard only.

Fine Print reads- Your creditcard information may be used to track you and send advertisments to you, there is no escape. You are not safe. See that van out front, yep, thats right.

#19 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:01 AM

add to the above:

remember that time you got out of the shower and you had that strange feeling of someone watching you?! yeah, i am a psycho, i watch naked ppl getting out of showers, how you ask?! why with their credit card information of course....MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:28 AM

Adding more to the avobe:

Ya know that time you had the that nice bean burrito out on the table and you turned around to get a drink and turned back around and the burrito was gone, yes, thats right, exactly, now you got it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!