• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 m2mike

m2mike

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:36 AM

Some of you may recall that free mp3's from ITunes could be had by viewing numbers in various plastic 20 oz. soft drink bottles. Well, there is a new way to obtain free mp3's now. The easiest way to do this is at your local grocery store.

Aquafresh toothpaste packages have a 16 digit number that allows you to obtain 3 mp3's from www.connect.com/aquafresh. You will first have to go to www.aquafresh.com to enter your 16 digit number. After that, they want some personal info from you. You can enter actual data about yourself or make some up. You have to check a box that indicates that you are over 13 years old and you also have to check a box that says you have read their license agreement. They also want to know which retailer you obtained the toothpaste from. It doesn't matter which retailer you used so pick one.

After that you are provided with a code that has this format AQUAXXXXXXX, X being 8 uppercase letters. That is the code that will allow you to get your 3 free mp3's. You are now ready to go to www.connect.com/aquafresh.

Now they want you to download software named, "The Connect Player". It is actually SonicStage 3.4 which is Sony's player that uses OpenMG.

Info on OpenMG can be had here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMG
Info on SonicStage can be had here: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/SonicStage

The following is from the above wikipedia page on SonicStage: SonicStage 3.4 includes an option to de-DRM your whole library (this takes some time though) allowing as many copies of files as you like, on as many players as you want, on as many PCs as you want. You can even share non-DRM files with friends or colleagues.

How interesting...

Well, you may be interested to know that you don't have to buy the toothpaste for this to work. The aquafresh tooth paste packages are made of plastic which is easily openable on either end. The 16 digit number is on the narrower side of the inside of the package (approximately 1.5 inches), nearest the barcode on the outside of the package. You could open the end of the package nearest the barcode, slide the toothpaste out, get your 16 digit number, and then put the toothpaste back in the package. Effectively, you just got 3 free mp3's which once obtained can be de-DRM'ed.

You will need to convert oma format to mp3 or wav. One utility that appears to do this is: HI-MD Renderer 0.30 at http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himd/

Don't you love technology?

*Edit*

I've tried this with version 0.54 of the Hi-MD Renderer and it works beautifully.

Mods, feel free to move this to Retail Hacking if you think it is appropriate.

Edited by m2mike, 23 April 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#2 lowtec

lowtec

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

All the mp3s are already free on the web.. with a carefully crafted search you can have anything you want..

#3 m2mike

m2mike

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

The point here is that these mp3 files are *legit*. You didn't snarf them from p2p. You get a coupon and then download all the music you want which can then be de-DRM'ed.

#4 raZer

raZer

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

Isn't de-DRM'ing an MP3 illegal tho?

#5 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

Isn't de-DRM'ing an MP3 illegal tho?

View Post

It is in the USA. Not in Canada though - so if anyone wants to send me their MP3s... :P

Edited by Seal, 23 April 2006 - 01:46 PM.

#6 m2mike

m2mike

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

Someone inform me and anyone else who might view this thread. If you own DRM'ed mp3's and you de-DRM them, have you broken the law?

Does it violate the DMCA?

#7 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

Someone inform me and anyone else who might view this thread.  If you own DRM'ed mp3's and you de-DRM them, have you broken the law?

Does it violate the DMCA?

View Post

Yes it does. It doesn't matter that you own it or not. In fact, it doesn't even matter that the content is copyrighted.

That's why the DMCA is considered paralegal.
It doesn't itself protect copyrights, but protects a tool that is supposed to shield copyrights.

The DMCA also usurps the fair use provisions in the copyright act in the USA.
That means that it doesn't matter whether you own the content you're de-DRMing.
That's why, upon revision, US courts decided that watching DVDs on Linux (using deCSS) was illegal.

Edited by Seal, 23 April 2006 - 04:53 PM.

#8 lowtec

lowtec

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

Opening a product without buying it and in effect taking the code for your own use doesn't seem too legit to me.

About the DMCA.. there are clauses written in to protect consumer's freedom, namely the fair use section. So its just however you (or a judge) decide to interpret the law. From my point of view copyright means simply the right for me to copy as much as I want....

#9 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

Opening a product without buying it and in effect taking the code for your own use doesn't seem too legit to me.

About the DMCA.. there are clauses written in to protect consumer's freedom, namely the fair use section. So its just however you (or a judge) decide to interpret the law. From my point of view copyright means simply the right for me to copy as much as I want....

View Post

Well hey, even if it was legal. Is that even moral? I can understand snagging MP3s off LimeWire, those Hollywood bastards are evil. But to steal some kids MP3s from his toothpaste bottle... c'mon now.

#10 P(?)NYB(?)Y

P(?)NYB(?)Y

bellcore

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

i agree with BrakeDanceJ on this one. Stealing is stealing, whether you are stealing a song by grabbing it off of a p2p network, or stealing a song by opening a toothpaste box (which i'm sure would be considered product tamepring, which is illegal) and taking the code so that you can get mp3s without paying.

They put those codes in the boxes for people who purchase the product, not for criminals.

#11 carwash

carwash

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:32 PM

i agree with BrakeDanceJ on this one. Stealing is stealing, whether you are stealing a song by grabbing it off of a p2p network, or stealing a song by opening a toothpaste box (which i'm sure would be considered product tamepring, which is illegal) and taking the code so that you can get mp3s without paying.

They put those codes in the boxes for people who purchase the product, not for criminals.

View Post

I agree too

It's all fun and games until you mess with someones toothpaste mp3 experience :)

#12 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

What gets me is why the fuck tooth paste? Affliating with soda manufacturers made sense because alot of people drink soda and its easy to advertise. But tooth paste? Its not like the 3 free MP3s are going to make me want to buy some more fucking tooth paste to get more MP3s, I highly doubt if some one does buy aquafresh they will even use the free MP3 code.

#13 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:55 AM

View Post

Using p2p to get mp3's isnt stealing. Its copyright infringment. Dur.

#14 spoekalb

spoekalb

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• 1,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:59 AM

The first thing that came to mind when I read this thread is "Folgers." Be carefull guys.

#15 m2mike

m2mike

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

The first thing that came to mind when I read this thread is "Folgers." Be carefull guys.

View Post

AFAIK, it is not possible to run a script against the site since the code is not generated until you give it the 16 digit number from the package. I could be wrong though.

First off, there are 36 ^ 16 combinations to go through. That could take a while.

FYI, I bought the toothpaste to test this (I've stolen nothing).

Edited by m2mike, 24 April 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#16 spoekalb

spoekalb

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• 1,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:39 PM

First off, there are 36 ^ 16 combinations to go through.  That could take a while.

Permutations :)

#17 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

View Post

FYI, I bought the toothpaste to test this (I've stolen nothing).

View Post

You dont have to justify yourself to us. Only to yourself...

#18 P(?)NYB(?)Y

P(?)NYB(?)Y

bellcore

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

m2mike: i hope i didn't come off like i was accusing you of stealing. i was just simply stating my opinion on the concept you posted.

#19 m2mike

m2mike

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

m2mike: i hope i didn't come off like i was accusing you of stealing. i was just simply stating my opinion on the concept you posted.

View Post

I just wanted to clarify that I have not practiced what I have found to be possible. I use that type of toothpaste anyway and decided I would see what was possible. My 3 mp3's are bought and paid for. :-)

I might also mention that this promotion is not exclusive to this one type of toothpaste. Other products have the same number in it. All sorts of abuse is possible. If you really want to pay for mp3's, then find a product with a 16 digit number in it and hopefully it costs less than 3 dollars to buy the product with the number in it. You have effectively just paid less than $2.97 (3 x $0.99) for the 3 mp3's.

I wonder if I can find a product that costs less than $2.97 that has a 16 digit number in it...

#20 -JJ-

-JJ-

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

The point here is that these mp3 files are *legit*. You didn't snarf them from p2p. You get a coupon and then download all the music you want which can then be de-DRM'ed.

No you didn't just snarf the MP3 from a P2P program, but you snarfed Aqua. :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!