20 replies to this topic

#1 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:46 AM

Posted Image

for those who don't know, this is a radioshack mini telephone blue. It costs 1.97 here in 703 NPA and, in theory, could be a tone dialer. If you want to know, here are the directions, -in theory-:

1. Buy a friggin tone dialer, duh, there only like 1.97, if they're more, you know what to do. :devil:

2. Take out the fone cord that comes with it and cut an end off:
Posted Image

3. take the cut cord, strip (:ranaway:), and attatch a nine volt battery clip to the ends.
Posted Image+Posted Image=Posted Image

4. Now that the thing has power, instead of the mini speaker they give you, cut the cord used to go to the mini headset, strip (:ranaway:) wires going to speakers, and attatch a new .25w, 8 ohm speaker or whatever is loudest for you.
(Posted Image-Posted Image)+Posted Image=Posted Image

REMEMBER, THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED, BUT SHOULD BE, I BELEIVE ITS A GOOD IDEA

BTW, pictures gathered from ALL OVER the internet. :nono:

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:58 AM

Build it and then write an arty.

#3 phax

phax

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 10:06 AM

yeah! How do you know this will work if you haven't builted it and tested it yourself. As dual stated

Build it and write an arty.

Not to get off topic dual the last show :rock: man

#4 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:20 PM

yo, i did. I just need a way to make it louder. By just hooking up the 9v, its not powerful enough to generate the tones loud enough. So i thought about putting two bats together and testing, but haven't gotten around to it. I am in the process right now.

::EDIT::

DO NOT HOOK UP TWO BATS, IT JUS MAKES IT OVERHEAT, WITH NO VOLUME INCREASE.

What i am going to try next is screw the packaged headset and make my own, i jus need to get to the rad shack... ill report results later

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:51 PM

hmm, how about trying more batteries (3-4) with some sort of active cooling (i dont know...be creative....p4 heatsink anyone?!).

#6 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:57 PM

i sat hook up a friggin car battery :D

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:59 PM

well, since a car battery can kill a person i have some doubts it would work in this project -_-

#8 Dox

Dox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 05:14 PM

does it overheat regardless of the way you hook the batteries together? does it make a difference whether they are in series or parallel?

heatsink eh? thats a sassy idea
B)

#9 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:42 PM

no, just when over normal phone voltage is on the line. BTW, if anyone can help, please do...

#10 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:43 PM

I can't help, but good luck and nice work on it

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:01 PM

well, for real you could get like a case fan and stick it on there with some hot glue or super glue or with some zip ties or something and hook it directly to the battery and position it in such a way as to cool off the part that heats most.

#12 latency

latency

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:13 PM

well, for real you could get like a case fan and stick it on there with some hot glue or super glue or with some zip ties or something and hook it directly to the battery and position it in such a way as to cool off the part that heats most.

well besides the fact that the hot glue might melt, you're going to have to go through the same shit again when one/both the batteries dies.

have you tried different speakers to make sure it's not just a lack-of-power issue? maybe find a cheap hand helf am/fm radio that runs on a 9v or AA's or something and use the speaker from that since it's setup to run off that amount of power? just a thought..

good luck, let us know how it goes.

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:17 PM

good idea cxi, like the clock/radio combos that have a slot for a "backup" 9v battery, those speakers are made for that voltage. they have a lot of these radios at the salvation army every time im there.

also, can anybody find this thing on their site?? ive had trouble finding it.

#14 Dox

Dox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:28 PM

hmm *googles battery powered amp*

ok there we go..

you could try something like this
http://www.radix.net...enn/me/amp.html

which uses one of these guys http://www.radioshac...LM386&pagenum=0

to build one of these http://braincambre50.....Audio Amp.htm
(which might be juicy enough to power a speaker at enough volume to pump out those tones)

#15 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:45 PM

what about adding some transistors to the phone to draw greater power? :blink:

#16 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 11:08 AM

say how? :wacko:

Dox, those are the shiz, thats probably what i need!!! Thanks!!!

#17 Dox

Dox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

take pictures, this sounds fun like the shizzle :lol:

#18 unknown_entity

unknown_entity

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 09:34 AM

i was looking around in some older threads and found this i actually picked up 2 of these the other day along with a cordless.

You should be able to use a LM386 audio amp its a 8 pin DIP package. and the supply pins will take anywhere from 4V-12V and it puts out around 400mW @ 8 ohms. The only problem i see is that the if you increase the power output to near full the distortion can go as high as 10% compared to the average 0.2% at half power.

ill have to check some other typesthough. So if not this weekend then next i'll try to have this thing built.

EDIT: Oh well i feel dumb now dox posted the same thing almost ive really got to read before i post.

#19 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:22 AM

I just so happen to have this exact same model headset phone. And, for a time, I couldn't figure why I couldn't get much volume out of the little sucker. Then, I realized that the the audio output on this via the 3/32 jack is line level audio, which would need to be amplified for more normal volume levels. The attenuating in-line volume control built into the headset does just that. And, if you buy Raddy Shack's 1/8 plug to 1/8 jack cord with in-line volume control, and use an adapters to connect to the 3/32 jack on the 1/8 plug, you're good to goo. Heh, heh. :D And, as a time saver so as to not have to solder a damn thing, I just connect up to Raddy Shack's minin audio amp with volume control, which has a 1/8 jack audio input, AND 1/8 jack auido out. And, just in case this becomes the next question, NO you still have to use a audio cable with the in-line attenuating volume control on the cord, despite the fact that you're hooking it up to the mini amp, because it needs to be amplified before reaching the mini audio amp. Otherwise, you still will get pretty low volume, even with the mini amp's volume at max. Btw, if you hook up a phone that has a receiver volume level control on the phone and a 3/32 headset jack, you won't encounter this little dilemma. With the now discontinued Raddy Shack super mini flip phone, that had both a headset jack, and built in receiver volume control on the phone. Plus, it was about as small as the mini heaset phone. If you can still find these at your local Rad Shack, I imagine the price would be the same or comparable to the mini headset phone. If only they never did away with tone dialers, we wouldn't have to find a more make-shift form of a tone dialer like this. GRR!! Curse you, Raddy Shack! Heh, heh. :D

#20 unknown_entity

unknown_entity

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 01:21 PM

Well ill probably just use that then. Do you have a part number for the mini audio amp?

And i was all ready to bust out the solder station and everything to do something like this, oh well.
http://briefcase.yah...nobyl_afterglow

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!