• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Apoc

Apoc

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

Alright, I have a website that opens new windows to play quicktime tutorials. But, the problem is, most of it is streamed (I think). I would like to have a copy on my computer so I can view it when not connected to the net. Part of the link shows up in the source code but not the whole thing. I get something like "/program/lesson/number/movie.mov". I know my instructor said there was a way to do it but I would have to upgrade to quicktime pro. Can anyone help me out with this?! I need to learn some things, and quick.

#2 roothorick

roothorick

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

URLs are laid out like this:

<protocol>://<host>[:<port>]/<directory>/<file>?<arguments>

Port, directory, file, and arguments can all be left out; if they are, a default is assumed (for port: 80. For directory: / (root). For file: whatever the server considers to be the directory index. For arguments: no arguments.)

It's valid in HTML to specify resource locations relatively, e.g. "art/index1.html". It is relative to the directory the referencing document is in. I don't remember if the leading slash means relative to root or not, I don't think it does. In any case, if you see an embed "movies/foo.mov" in say http://blah.example/tuts/index.html, the link is relative to http://blah.example/tuts/, and refers to http://blah.example/.../movies/foo.mov .

#3 Apoc

Apoc

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

How do I go about grabbing the files to download from there?

#4 roothorick

roothorick

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:36 PM

How do I go about grabbing the files to download from there?

View Post

Read what I said above. If you can't figure it out from that, you need to do a little reading on HTML. Hint: you need to hand-craft the movie URL from the referring page's URL and the embed tag.

Edited by roothorick, 05 April 2006 - 10:37 PM.

#5 invision620

invision620

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

you talking about VLC?

#6 coding_monkey

coding_monkey

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:39 AM

Alright, I have a website that opens new windows to play quicktime tutorials. But, the problem is, most of it is streamed (I think). I would like to have a copy on my computer so I can view it when not connected to the net. Part of the link shows up in the source code but not the whole thing. I get something like "/program/lesson/number/movie.mov". I know my instructor said there was a way to do it but I would have to upgrade to quicktime pro. Can anyone help me out with this?! I need to learn some things, and quick.

View Post

Most of the time, you can download a movie using firefox by going to Tools - Page Info - Media and scrolling through the list until you get to the embed object, then clicking save as.

:jawa:

#7 Apoc

Apoc

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

When trying to use either Firefox or IE on my WinXP machine, I can't view the page source. But, when I use Slim Browser or Opera, I can see it. Also, in Firefox, I don't have the toolbar that has file | edit | view | bookmarks | Tools. And, I don't know how to get it to pop up. Is there possibly an extension that would help me do this?

Edited by Apoc, 06 April 2006 - 10:50 AM.

#8 jabzor

jabzor

hax?

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

In quicktime pro, click on the little arrow to the right of the play-bar, go 'save as..' you get a choice between movie and source..

:)

#9 roothorick

roothorick

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

When trying to use either Firefox or IE on my WinXP machine, I can't view the page source. But, when I use Slim Browser or Opera, I can see it. Also, in Firefox, I don't have the toolbar that has file | edit | view | bookmarks | Tools. And, I don't know how to get it to pop up. Is there possibly an extension that would help me do this?

View Post

Install Tabbrowser Preferences plugin, configure everything to show up in a new tab. You'll have a single Firefox window, with the File/Edit/View/Go/Bookmarks/Tools/Help menu at the top. Alternately, just right-click -> "This Frame" -> "View Frame Source", or just right-click -> "View Page Source" on non-framed sites. If they have the "No right click" JavaScript hack thing going, get busy with the NoScript extension.

Tabbrowser Preferences: https://addons.mozil...ication=firefox
NoScript: http://www.noscript.net/whats

For IE, you shouldn't be using IE. But you knew that already.

#10 Shad0w

Shad0w

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

Why dont you just use VLC Media Player? you can DL practly any type of movie off of any site.

Shad0w
:cuss:

#11 Apoc

Apoc

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:59 PM

Here's the thing, when I try and use no-script, it won't load the video because java is disabled. And, when I try and have the window open in a new tab with the tabbrowser prefs, it still opens in its own new window. If someone wants to really help me out on this, hit me up on one of the Instant Messenger clients and we can talk & figure this out. I would really appreciate the help and would be glad to offer a reward of some kind.

#12 Cain

Cain

H4x0r

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:47 AM

You could run Ethereal to find the location of the file, and use Mplayer to save the file.

Fire up Ethereal, watch the video you're trying to get, stop ethereal and check the output for the GET request. Once you know where the file is located, use Mplayer (command line) like this: mplayer http://example.com/example.mov -dumpstream -dumpfile YourSavedFileNameHere.mov

You might also be able to grab it from your temporary internet files folder from IE.

Hell, maybe you could tell firefox to save it to file instead of playing it, by going into Tools - Options - Downloads - View & Edit Actions - Select .mov files - Change Action - Click Save them on my computer - ok. If all you get is a pointer file, open that in notepad and get your url, and pipe that through mplayer.

Maybe Wget?

VLC could probably also do it if you know the URL.

Anyways, goodluck.

#13 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

OKay, simple question. Is it actually a movie file or is it a rtsp streaming movie file? You know how real media movie files can be one of two formats when linked online? THe first being rm (The actual file) and the second ram (A shortcut file which only links to the original, designed for streaming and to keep unknowledgable people from downloading the movie). Well, most streaming quicktime movie files don't do that. They use real time streaming protocl and stuff.

#14 Shad0w

Shad0w

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

VLC could probably also do it if you know the URL.

View Post

Ok well google is a nice thing, but just incase you didn't google it:

VLC Media Player HomePage

How To DL Yahoo/Or AnyType of Movie....

Shad0w
:cuss:

#15 Cain

Cain

H4x0r

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

Ok well google is a nice thing, but just incase you didn't google it:

VLC Media Player HomePage

Right, I ment the URL of the video. Thanks though :cuss: :heart:

Mplayer can handle streaming via HTTP/FTP, RTP/RTSP, MMS/MMST, MPST, and SDP, so if it is being streamed, it shouldn't be a problem.

So if it's not http, you just replace http with the proocol it's using - here's an example for rm:

mplayer rtsp://example.com/example.rm -dumpstream -dumpfile YourFileNameHere.rm

#16 Apoc

Apoc

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up messing around with FF and it ended up being something really easy. I changed some setting that allowed me to resize the window that the video kept opening in and then all I had to do was go to view page info...media...save as.

Sorry for being a noob

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!