• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:43 PM

i want to run my TDK-velocd cd burner drive in a linux box, is this possible? Also, how well does linux run on AMD, personal opinions accepted. Lastly, what can you run on windows, that can run on linux, if anything? Sorry, kinda a n00by to linux... :blush:

#2 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:50 PM

The "Tower of Power" in my apartment is all AMD 1.4GHz stuff and it's been running fine for a damn long time...

#3 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:50 PM

"Is my hardware supported?" is just one of the fun games you get to play with Linux. Use a distribution with good hardware detection. AMD works great. If you play a lot of games with Windows say goodbye to them :)...there is a better/equivalent app for generally everything else.

#4 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:52 PM

yeah, i wasn't looking for games, i was looking for:
Modem
cD-RW
cD-Rom
Floppy
ethernet
Video

I heard on rfa that Knoppix is wonderful for detecting that stuff right?

#5 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 04:29 PM

yes, knoppix is great and can run from CD to get used to it without touching or losing your windows install.

As far as which windows apps will run on linux, the answer is none (without special software to emulate windows or intercept function calls like Virtual PC/Wine/etc... ). Windows programs are compiled to run on that platform only. To run on linux, you would have to compile on that platform. The executable file is not portable. That is why you find open source programs that ship with source code. That way YOU can compile on whatever system you WANT to compile on. (Although there are other technicalities as well, like whether the function calls exist, but that is a deeper topic)

#6 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:16 PM

give me a K
give me a N
give me a O
give me a P
and another P
give me a I
give me a X

what does that spell??

KNOPPIX
KNOPPIX
KNOPPIX

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

KNOPPIX

#7 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:30 PM

no...
k
n
o
p
p
i
x
spells. shizzle cause thats what it is

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!