• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Here's an embarassing newb question. My screensaver is turning off by itself after about 30 seconds, but apparently it only happens while connected to the Internet.
I'm looking for a "Wake on LAN" setting, but I don't see it. Maybe that isn't the right setting anyway? On a related note, does anyone have any idea as to why your Internet connection may shut off when you turn off your monitor, or even when the screensaver comes on?

#2 ed209

ed209

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

What OS?

On XP check your power scheme settings:

start -> control panel -> power options

Also check the power options for your network card:

start -> control panel -> network connections -> rightclick Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Click Configure button, the last tab should be power settings

On linux, it really depends on how you configured your system, ie. are you running xscreensaver?

--ed

Edited by ed209, 06 March 2006 - 12:03 PM.

#3 thx1966

thx1966

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

the wake on Lan setting is in the bios. reboot into the system settings to check.
Have you scanned for spyware? something maybe starting to run when your screensaver is activated and the the computer is no longer dormant.

Just a thought.

#4 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

the wake on Lan setting is in the bios. reboot into the system settings to check.
Have you scanned for spyware? something maybe starting to run when your screensaver is activated and the the computer is no longer dormant.

Just a thought.

View Post

I'd run a virus scan as well as spyware scan if something is running a background process it could trip the screensaver to shut off

-Enigma

#5 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Oops, I forgot to specify that it's XP. Thanks for the replies.
There isn't any spyware, and for some reason the screensaver only shuts off while the PC is plugged into the cable modem. I'll try the Wake on LAN thing and let you know it if works. :)

#6 ed209

ed209

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

your network drivers should let you control the wake on lan settings from within windows. Configure the network device, either through device manager or the Local Area Connection properties -> configure button.

How does your cable modem connect to your machine? Is it through USB at all? The reason I ask is because I used a USB wifi card that used to make my optical mouse turn on and kill my screensaver. My mouse had a taillight and it would blink on its high beams at night and wake me up, once I removed the wifi card it stopped.

--ed

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!