• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:09 PM

I just bought a soldering iron and I'm interested in doing a few projects. Is there anything I can make (related to phreaking) that is both easy but also useful? I tried finding a tone dialer to make a red box, but none of the radio shacks in my area carry them and I don't want to order one online. I was thinking a beige box.. Any other suggestions?

#2 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:25 PM

lol, your not gonna be makign a beige box easily. 1st, you gotta work on your soldering skills. go to radioshack and look for their books. they are phasing them out but might have some, and they are cheep. grap something with plans, and most will include some radio shack part numbers. the other thing i would like for you to get is the following:

rosin core solder(comes in spools)
cleaning paste(keeps tips good)

if you want to get some better stuff...
desoldering bulb(to suck up messed up joints)
a stand with sponge(helps alot)
stand with clips(its something to hold up wires and parts to solder. an extra pair of hands)

you should be set! have fun!

#3 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:29 PM

Eh I don't know of any phreaking projects but you could go down to radio shack and pickup one of Forest M. Mims books there. The one I'm thinking of is called _Getting Started in Electronics_ and it comes with a few projects you can do, including a little tutorial on how to solder. If you're already way past all this than just ignore me :).

#4 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

lol, your not gonna be makign a beige box easily. 1st, you gotta work on your soldering skills. go to radioshack and look for their books. they are phasing them out but might have some, and they are cheep. grap something with plans, and most will include some radio shack part numbers. the other thing i would like for you to get is the following:

I went out and got two books, they only had three there. One is the Getting Started in Electronics book that feend suggested.

rosin core solder(comes in spools)
cleaning paste(keeps tips good)

if you want to get some better stuff...
desoldering bulb(to suck up messed up joints)
a stand with sponge(helps alot)
stand with clips(its something to hold up wires and parts to solder. an extra pair of hands)

Okay, I think I'm all set. I picked up the rosin core solder (.032" for electronics), the stand with sponge, and the stand with clips. The clippy stand doesn't look like it will last, but I'll give it a shot.

Right now I'm looking for specific projects that are entertaining and useful. I'll start going through the projects in the book today.

Thanks very much for your help! (And nice website w1nt3r) :D

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!