• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

I think deadc0de really hit the nail on the head. Hacking is a mindset, if you have to 'learn to hack' you will never have it. How many of the bin-rev mod team came here "learning how to hack"? Hacking is the spirit, the wanting to know how something works; the wanting to explore. When you ask your friends to come with you into a utility tunnel you've found, and they say "what the fuck? why would I wanna do that?" you have now separated yourself from the normal: "I just accept everything I see and don't question anything"; you might be a hacker. When you have to try to sit down with your parents, and explain why 2600 meetings would be beneficial to your future, your might hacker. When you popped open a tni just to see what the hell it was about, you might be a hacker. If when asked what languages you speak, you reply "Jav....:-) kidding. Look, hacking isn't a skill. You can't learn to hack like you can learn to drive. It's more like painting, some people are just born with an amazing ability to create wonderful art (note: this is *not* me). Some people are born with the urge to know more about something that others don't; it's not like studying physics. Others aren't. I'm pretty sure it's not something you 'pick up', the urge to explore that is. I'm pretty sure it's not at all. My politically-moderate-blindlessly-believing(since changed)-catholic-parents just kept to themselves my whole childhood, I'm nothing like them. My dad has no clue why I bought some direct-tv dishes and dongles to experiment with wi-fi. No matter how many times I try to put into words and explain it to him, he doesn't see any benefit. He will forever be one of those people who 'doesnt understand'. It's not that he doesn't care to learn, it's just a different kind learning. He's not a bad person, he just doesn't see the point. Start asking yourself how you think, do you see the point?

That's the best I can explain it. Someone jump in here and try to make sense of what I just typed...

#62 deadc0de

deadc0de

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

I think deadc0de really hit the nail on the head. Hacking is a mindset, if you have to 'learn to hack' you will never have it. How many of the bin-rev mod team came here "learning how to hack"? Hacking is the spirit, the wanting to know how something works; the wanting to explore. When you ask your friends to come with you into a utility tunnel you've found, and they say "what the fuck? why would I wanna do that?" you have now separated yourself from the normal: "I just accept everything I see and don't question anything"; you might be a hacker. When you have to try to sit down with your parents, and explain why 2600 meetings would be beneficial to your future, your might hacker. When you popped open a tni just to see what the hell it was about, you might be a hacker. If when asked what languages you speak, you reply "Jav....:-) kidding. Look, hacking isn't a skill. You can't learn to hack like you can learn to drive. It's more like painting, some people are just born with an amazing ability to create wonderful art (note: this is *not* me). Some people are born with the urge to know more about something that others don't; it's not like studying physics. Others aren't. I'm pretty sure it's not something you 'pick up', the urge to explore that is. I'm pretty sure it's not at all. My politically-moderate-blindlessly-believing(since changed)-catholic-parents just kept to themselves my whole childhood, I'm nothing like them. My dad has no clue why I bought some direct-tv dishes and dongles to experiment with wi-fi. No matter how many times I try to put into words and explain it to him, he doesn't see any benefit. He will forever be one of those people who 'doesnt understand'. It's not that he doesn't care to learn, it's just a different kind learning. He's not a bad person, he just doesn't see the point. Start asking yourself how you think, do you see the point?

That's the best I can explain it. Someone jump in here and try to make sense of what I just typed...

haha you just expanded on what I was saying. Mine is more of the summary of what you just wrote.

#63 Affinity

Affinity

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

Question:
Are there in the US really only automatic Cars?
No manual shift?

In germany nearly everybody has a non automatic car :-) .

HaNoCr

I drive a manula, go gas mileage woot! And while the point of the above story is true........how can you shift without clutching? Unless I'm completely wrong I thought you HAD to put the clutch in otherwise you know it makes that grinding noise and then your transmission goes bye bye.

#64 Penguin Liberation Front

Penguin Liberation Front

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

Question:
Are there in the US really only automatic Cars?
No manual shift?

In germany nearly everybody has a non automatic car :-) .

HaNoCr

I drive a manula, go gas mileage woot! And while the point of the above story is true........how can you shift without clutching? Unless I'm completely wrong I thought you HAD to put the clutch in otherwise you know it makes that grinding noise and then your transmission goes bye bye.

Automatic??? I always thought that was for lazy people. Manual shift is so much more fun! - You can accellerate quicker and brake harder and later with manual than you can with some damn computer telling you when to change.

Sorry, I'm all for going back to the days of carburettors - keep computers out of our cars.

#65 scholarwarrior

scholarwarrior

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:44 AM

Why does it seem that everywhere on BinRev there's people that are experts on what qualifies you as a hacker or doesn't qualify you as a hacker. If someone isn't they will figure it out for themselves. "Wanting to learn to hack" are just words. I can't say that I know anybody in here or whether they are a hacker or not. I don't even know if the whole "mindset" thing was read somewhere and just repeated. I'm not saying it was or not, I just don't know. I don't know if the people that made recommendations are right or not. I'll figure it out on my own. It's just asking for advice and I appreciate all that I get. I'm sure nobody on this forum knows my "hacking" experience or anybody else's. It's just language. Maybe it's just an easy way to say they are looking for advice and feedback and knowledge and all of that stuff. One thing is for sure. I don't need to be told what a hacker is anymore. I've heard it 5 times in the last day and a half when that's not the question that was asked. Feedback and input are what I need and what I want to give also. I don't know everything now or won't 10 years from now. 20 years from now I will still want to "learn how to hack" just as much as I do now and just as much as I did 10 years ago. I'll still want to contribute and be contributed to.

I'll bet most if not all people in here have heard the whole "mindset" thing more than once and will continue to hear it. They will figure it out for themselves without hearing it. I'm sure they don't need me or anybody else to tell them. They probably need to hear any input I have to a question they have, if I have any for that particular question. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers but that's how I feel. When I read "want to learn to hack" I didn't take it as anything more than someone wanting knowledge. You're either a hacker or you are not, just like you either have something to productive to contribute or you don't. Simple as that.

#66 deadc0de

deadc0de

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

Why does it seem that everywhere on BinRev there's people that are experts on what qualifies you as a hacker or doesn't qualify you as a hacker. If someone isn't they will figure it out for themselves. "Wanting to learn to hack" are just words. I can't say that I know anybody in here or whether they are a hacker or not. I don't even know if the whole "mindset" thing was read somewhere and just repeated. I'm not saying it was or not, I just don't know. I don't know if the people that made recommendations are right or not. I'll figure it out on my own. It's just asking for advice and I appreciate all that I get. I'm sure nobody on this forum knows my "hacking" experience or anybody else's. It's just language. Maybe it's just an easy way to say they are looking for advice and feedback and knowledge and all of that stuff. One thing is for sure. I don't need to be told what a hacker is anymore. I've heard it 5 times in the last day and a half when that's not the question that was asked. Feedback and input are what I need and what I want to give also. I don't know everything now or won't 10 years from now. 20 years from now I will still want to "learn how to hack" just as much as I do now and just as much as I did 10 years ago. I'll still want to contribute and be contributed to.

I'll bet most if not all people in here have heard the whole "mindset" thing more than once and will continue to hear it. They will figure it out for themselves without hearing it. I'm sure they don't need me or anybody else to tell them. They probably need to hear any input I have to a question they have, if I have any for that particular question. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers but that's how I feel. When I read "want to learn to hack" I didn't take it as anything more than someone wanting knowledge. You're either a hacker or you are not, just like you either have something to productive to contribute or you don't. Simple as that.

See. To me asking "HOW DOEZ I HACK LOL!" makes you look like a complete ignorant asshole. However asking "Hey, anyone know about the NTFS file structure" or "Hey how about those registers?" makes you look like you have some common decency and I would be glad to help you. I'm sure everyone here is the same way. If you don't show some sign of intelligence no one is going to help you. No one is going to hold your hand. That's not what hacking is. Hacking is doing it by yourself. Or with very, very limited help from others. When the help from others becomes too much (like using their software to hack or whatever rather than writing your own) you drift into skiddietown. Everyone hates skiddies.

#67 scholarwarrior

scholarwarrior

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:05 AM

This is the Nubie HQ. Might I suggest reading the rules of the forum. That's all I am saying. "Constructive, not destructive." "Nubie flaming will not be tolerated." Not sure whatever happened to that, but oh well. I would suggest a different forum with more experienced hackers such as yourself. It's not about you or me, it's about the community. Our respected opinions of others in here or each other should be kept to ourselves. I'm not so sure how this room has suggested using other people's software or anything like that. The majority of the stuff I have seen are recommendations for languages and recommendations to look into.

#68 eeriana

eeriana

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:33 AM

Being a bit of newbie myself, I would just like to add that I agree that hacking is a mindset, I believe it was Bland inquisitor I once heard say that it is who you are, how you're wired, what you're born with, be it computers, phones or other technology. But those skills need to be honed and developed. For me, I was born with an insatiable curiosity about how technology works and how to manipulate it. Is that a hacker? Who's to say. All I know is that I feel at home among hackers and phreaks and was fascinated with phones first, back in the, well, many years ago... heh heh... then computers and how they work and how to manipulate them. Things keep evolving and changing that it's like starting over sometimes, but that desire, that drive, to learn and keep up is innate. If you stop asking questions and learning from those that already know and have expertise in areas that interest you, you stagnate. As long as you do it respectfully and intelligently, then we are all here to help you develop your skills as well as learn from you and the others. It is a community and we are all here to learn and teach. Just my two cents.....

eeriana

#69 scholarwarrior

scholarwarrior

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

Being a bit of newbie myself, I would just like to add that I agree that hacking is a mindset, I believe it was Bland inquisitor I once heard say that it is who you are, how you're wired, what you're born with, be it computers, phones or other technology. But those skills need to be honed and developed. For me, I was born with an insatiable curiosity about how technology works and how to manipulate it. Is that a hacker? Who's to say. All I know is that I feel at home among hackers and phreaks and was fascinated with phones first, back in the, well, many years ago... heh heh... then computers and how they work and how to manipulate them. Things keep evolving and changing that it's like starting over sometimes, but that desire, that drive, to learn and keep up is innate. If you stop asking questions and learning from those that already know and have expertise in areas that interest you, you stagnate. As long as you do it respectfully and intelligently, then we are all here to help you develop your skills as well as learn from you and the others. It is a community and we are all here to learn and teach. Just my two cents.....

eeriana

You said it way better than I did. I agree 100%. Thanks.

#70 game freak

game freak

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

hi, im a newbie myself and i just have a basic idea of what a hacker is. i have a friend whos a hacker and, up to my knowledge, has learned one language, binary. ive looked into the binary language and i was overwhelmed with all that line of code, so ive decided to learn something basic such as C/C++, Java, or HTML. i found a website that teaches you HTML, www.w3schools.com. i also looked into C a little bit and i found that, when using firefox, gaming sites have HTML and C/C++. so does anybody have anything to recommend to me? also, just fyi, i have windows XP and im staying with windows XP.

#71 Peroxyde

Peroxyde

DDP Fan club member

• Validating
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

This thread is over a year old..

#72 game freak

game freak

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:44 PM

i know but i figured it would be easier since i already found this to ask for a little help.

#73 intimidat0r

intimidat0r

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

Your friend did not learn binary...

#74 Enmaku

Enmaku

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

This thread is over a year old..

Is there anything in the rules about necromancy?

I'd go look myself but I'm too busy taking one of those online "Which Hackers character are you?" personality quizzes... Those things are really accurate y'know...

Aw crap, I'm Joey.

Wait, he was the only one of that whole group who was naturally inquisitive with a genuine thirst for knowledge...

#75 tekwizz123

tekwizz123

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

i think im gonna start with python..

hey well I have just started off with C++ (Visual Studio 10) in the book, "C++ Without Fear" and i am not having too much trouble so I would also recommend C++ as a starting language.

Edited by tekwizz123, 02 September 2009 - 11:18 AM.

#76 maJiC

maJiC

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

Before all the penguin people try to turn the newbies into linux heads, Let me say something. There is nothing wrong with windows. Exploits and such are found on it all the time. You dont need linux to be a "uber 1337 h4x0r". Open source aint shit if you dont understand whats going on. Try getting deep into windows.

Yeah, the Linux movement/message is great and all. But just think about it like this, a BIG majority of people that use computers, use windows. So, trying to learn windows exploits and cmd's on linux is just.....not impossible, but unnecessary. Honestly install linux on a spare pc or dual-boot it on your pc, and use it for coding and to learn linux, not if you're just getting into the linux world. Just my two cents.

#77 Davie

Davie

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

Trial and error worked for me, withing a virtual pc on an external hard drive:P
dotn want to go deleting stuff like rundll now, do i?
or do i?

and you dont need linux, windows has plenty of exploits to learn :)

#78 unknowndevice

unknowndevice

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:36 AM

my plan for becoming a hacker is this:

1) get comfortable with linux.
2) learn bash shell scripting.
3) LPIC-1 certification.
4) learn perl
5) learn python
6) learn java
7) learn c++

also, read lots of threads here and on similar forums to get ideas on things i want to do. 1 and 2 are done. the book for 3 is on its way from amazon. there's probably a lot of other stuff i need to do, but i figure that the above is a good start.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!