• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PhonizPhreak

PhonizPhreak

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:08 PM

:pissed: Well, we all know how the Red box came in, large and in charge. But now if we take a glance of what before stood to be strong died and now trying to make a Great come back.
Well today I decided to post something on what people wanted to say about the Red Box and share their old tricks for payphones, so feel free post whatever u want on ideas or how you feel about the infamous RED BOX... thanx

§PhonizPhreak§

#2 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:57 PM

Hmm. Yakbak. That was my redbox.

#3 Epiphany

Epiphany

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:27 AM

wow the Yakbak.. I remember that.. for those who dont it's that small toy they you could speak into and it would change your voice or record and play it back.

This guy i knew used a gamboy one. He had a cartridge that had musical tones and he just made it play redbox tones. :ninja:

#4 GUEST_Unregistered_ragweed_***

GUEST_Unregistered_ragweed_***
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:38 AM

wow yack back i remebr those i was like 6 when they first came out. i use a cd player for my redbox

#5 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:34 AM

Why do I get the uneasy feeling I'm far and away the oldest here? (Not that I always choose to act like it anywayz) Heh, heh. :D But, some phreaks I've talked to seem to sometimes forget that a red box comes in more forms than just that of a modded tone dialer. (Although, I suppose like most phreaks, I guess I consider that to be a red box in the "truest sense"). But, there's also handheld microcassette, and tapeless digital dictation-type recorders. With the tapeless digital recorders, you could even upload your tones to a PC via USB. Or, simply have a telephone recorder hooked up to your phone line, (or just use a standard recorder like the other 2 types I mentioned) and, have a phriend call you from a payphone. Start up your recorder, (if It's not the type with a remote jack that would start the recorder automatically when you lift the handset) and record the tones when you friend drops in the money. If he's calling you via a toll free PBX, or toll free calling card, he'll get the money back at the end of the call after hanging up. There's other ways as well. It all comes down to ingenuity. For ingenuity and creativity are king! What other ways can you think of?

#6 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 12:23 PM

i used a CD player, but the tones got skrewed on the transfer!!! :o

BTW, yakbak was when i was like 5, that was when i moved to VA. 8 years ago!!! Also, how old are you RAgweed?

#7 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:15 PM

yeah i got mine on a cd also.... but i never got around to using it yet.... even though ive had it for a while now, ive been inactive for like a month

#8 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 10:29 AM

Well, sometimes, when there are two payphones close together, you could hold the two headset's together and then drop coins into one phone, and you would get the tones played into the other payphone's handset.

That also works when you dont have a tone dialer handy, if the payphone you are using plays back the DTMF tones through the handset when you dial.

#9 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:06 PM

good idea, but can you coin return after that?

#10 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:00 AM

Of course. When you drop the quarters into one phone, you can always press the coin return button on that phone and get your coins back.

#11 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:05 AM

aight, thanks unity, kinda confused there...

#12 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:38 PM

Unity, I already tried that some time back. It doesn't seem to work. Not loud enough. It'd help if there were a volume control handy to jack up the volume a bit. And no, the built-in volume button didn't help any. Plus, it has a way of drawing unwanted attention holding one handset up to another. Especially on indoor payphones. BTW, if you were to mod Raddy Shack's mini headset phone (the little blue one) with a 6.49 Mhz crystal, then hook the mini headset phone up to Rat Shack's mini audio amp via the headphone output, and power the phone with a 9v battery, you could have a make-shift modded tone dialer or redbox. Remember, these payphones, (especially the outdoor ones) aren't exactly treated with lots of TLC. They're banged around, busted up, written on, and all other stuff. So, it stands to reason that the transmitter (mic mouthpiece) Isn't always functioning too well on many. Not to mention that the telcos don't exactly seem to believe in using Cat 5 and above for wiring up payphones. After all, telcos seem to be seeing payphones as more of an operating cost, rather than a form of profit. As a result, in some areas, like SBC in the Dallas Tx area, they've removed many lower profile (and lower profit location) payphones.

#13 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:52 PM

I have found, specifically, two telephones where this has worked on. I dont know if it works everywhere, but I know it has worked for me on a few pairs of phones.

Oh, are you talking about playing tones from one handset into another? That works fine, across the board. Playing the redbox tones, though, that was speculation. It seemed like it might work, though I have never tried it.

Im starting to get rather pissed when people mess with the phoens around here. People break them, and the Telus comes in and replaces them with Calling-Card ONLY phones. Crap, thats annoying. And the new phones all say Quortech. Screw Quortech. :D

Hmm. Up here in Edmonton, Telus is doing a re-fit of all the payphones. I have noticed that low profile payphones are getting removed with alarming frequency now.

#14 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:23 PM

With both red box tones from the adjacent payphone or DTMF, It's simply too low. I don't know. I guess Canada is more quiet than our loud, annoying, people here in inner city America, thereby making less background noise, and easier to pick up any tones via accoustic coupling like that, or something. Also, maybe people treat payphones with at least a bit more TLC up there, or perhaps your payphone equipment is newer, and more well mainteneced. It could even be all of the above. All I know is playing tones of any type on our phones doesn't work all that well.

#15 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:59 PM

i used a CD player, but the tones got skrewed on the transfer!!! :o

BTW, yakbak was when i was like 5, that was when i moved to VA. 8 years ago!!! Also, how old are you RAgweed?

http://www.stankdawg...=UserCP&CODE=01 ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!