• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 boo!

boo!

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 09:54 AM

What would be the best flavour of linux/unix for a complete beginner to start with?

#2 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:30 AM

I would recommend either Mandrake Linux,

Description: Mandrake Linux is a friendly and popular Linux operating system which specializes in ease-of-use for both servers and the home/office.

or RedHat Linux.

Description: Red Hat Linux is probably the best-known Linux distribution. It is well-supported commercially, and tends to be easy to install and have good hardware support out of the box. Compaq has taken over the maintenance for Red Hat for their Alpha processor - there's a link to their Alpha Red Hat page below.

Note: In order to receive support from Red Hat you must purchase an official Red Hat CD from them or an authorized reseller or purchase support services.

I haven't been able to test the latest version of either of them, duh. But I've tryed Red Hat 8.0 (latest 9.0) and Mandrake 9.0 (latest 9.1). Mandrake is easy to use, but there aren't that many books for it, so Red Hat might be the best. At least it's the most all round system.

I asked the same question as you some time ago, where I was recommended Debian, duh I haven't tryed it yet.

Anyway, you could have a look for yourself at www.linux.org, or www.linuxiso.org. Good luck. :)

#3 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:00 AM

debian is not so hard, if you RTFM ;)

#4 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:06 PM

Heh don't start with Debian first, you'll be frustrated as hell with the different development branches. Or if you try it, then use knoppix (a debian based distribution).

The best one in my opinion to start with is slackware. When you use slackware there are no fancy little GUI apps to help you along. It forces you to spend time at a bash prompt learning the filesystem and how Linux works under the hood.

#5 BiZaR

BiZaR

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:43 PM

The First distro i ever used was RedHat 8.0 then moved to Slackware 9.0. I am a linux newb, but i love windowmaker graphical interface in Slackware

#6 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 05:20 PM

BTW anyone know any good Linux books, for command line?

#7 boo!

boo!

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 05:51 PM

thanks for info bros i think i might start with slackware because i need something to force me to use commands and stop all this clicking shit!! this will help me to learn.

#8 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 06:04 PM

BTW anyone know any good Linux books, for command line?

i started with the Linux Cookbook, its not bad

http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/

edit: forgot this one http://www.geek-girl.com/Unixhelp/ , which is even better

#9 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:13 PM

Forgot to mention, if you really want a Linux distro where you are forced to learn command line. Try using corelinux or something like that, just go to Linux.org and choose English, Minimalist, Intel compitable (if you're running Intel of course :huh:). That should get you a list of Linux distros running with minimum stuff, like GUI and extra programs (ex. Linux for only 2 floppies).

Thanks for help with the books. :)

#10 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:15 PM

One of the best books I've seen is available completely free and comes in many doc types.

http://rute.sourceforge.net

#11 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:59 PM

that book is awesome feend, thanks. :D

#12 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 09:29 PM

wow, that's a pretty big book. Thanks.

#13 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:11 PM

I wouldn't suggest slack for your first distro. RH, SuSe, or Mandrake would be good. Knoppix would be your best bet because you don't have to make any type of commitment hardwarewise. The reason I would avoid slack as your first distro is you are doing this to learn linux, not distrobution related problems. Slack can be a pain to get everything working on at times. While debian is your worst choice(deb is great, but not for new users), obvious pluses to a less user friendly linux is that you do learn more of the real configuration things, but sometimes that can be overwhelming for a fledgling linux user. Try out knoppix first. If you like it, move on to something like RH (or FreeBSD).

#14 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:47 PM

I started out with slack myself, but I usualy piotn people to mandrake if they want to start out as newb on it.. its redhat based, just think of it as redhat on crack with candy for the newb thrown in.

#15 brookst

brookst

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:14 AM

Hmm, I use slack and mandrake on diff machines. I started on slack and like them both. I use debian on my beater sparc ipx. Guess I would have to agree with the majority. Start off with mandrake. If you really want to learn, you'll pick up the command line anyway.

#16 boo!

boo!

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:43 PM

I down loaded a copy of knoppix earlier, but it will not boot up of the CD i am on windows xp, do any of you know how i can check to see if my xp is set up to boot of a CD?? Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

#17 brookst

brookst

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:55 PM

Usually it's a bios setting. Look for something called boot order. Chances are that your system is set to boot from the hard drive, then the floppy then the cd. Change it so that the cd boots before the hard drive.

Best of luck!

#18 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:00 PM

yup brookst is right check the bios

#19 boo!

boo!

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:44 AM

Exactly how would you change that in windows xp?

#20 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:06 AM

You should see something like "press DELETE to enter setup" or something similar when you boot your computer (may also be one of the function keys). This will put you into the CMOS setup utility where you can change the boot order. Make CDROM the primary boot device and you should be good to go.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!