Photo
- - - - -

black box

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LebFreaK

LebFreaK

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:39 PM

in what cases i can use a black box?
as u read in my 1st thread, i'm in lebanon,would it work
tell me what to check
thx

or maybe another box?wich ones may work nowadays?

#2 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:08 PM

beige boxes definatly work and mabye if you can find a really old phone you might be able to red box

#3 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:40 PM

If you're on a digital switch (xESS, DMS-100, DMS-500) it won't work. You need to be on an electromechanical switch (crossbar, etc).

I'd assume your country is using some sort of electronic switching system by now. Do you hear any clicking and clunking in the background when your calls are connected?

#4 LebFreaK

LebFreaK

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:23 PM

what's is it like...when typing the number or after that?should i read somethin onthe phoneboxes on the street to kow what is it?

#5 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:32 PM

LebFreak, after you dial a number, do you hear clicks and clunking on you line?

#6 LebFreaK

LebFreaK

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:47 PM

ijust hear the toooot tooooot toooo that become shorter and faster when the line is busy and longer if the phone is ringing
that's all i hear
what should i do?

#7 GUEST_RUMRODigi_***

GUEST_RUMRODigi_***
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2003 - 01:07 PM

LebFreak-
If you're still confused about boxes, go to the forums at www.pig_monkey.com. User PigMonkey will be able to help you. ^_^
See ya there.

RUMRODdigi

#8 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 01:12 PM

ooh, was this by any chance :bigspam: :WHAT: :WHAT:

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

I'll leave the :spam: stand. But pig monkey can come over here and post his knowledge of boxes and the lebanon phone system if he really wants to help out.

#10 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:47 PM

I never understood the point of a black box. Why should I care if people can call me for free. It may sound a bit selfish, but think about...If this sort of thing still worked, would YOU risk getting busted so others can benfit from the luxury of calling you and not having to pay for it.

#11 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:36 PM

Well, decoder, how about if YOU were the one making the call?

#12 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:53 PM

If I were the one placing the call when black boxing still worked, I'd blue box. That would be more phun anyway. Don't you wish you could go around blue boxing all day? I read all the old stuff, like the Esquire article...blueboxing is DEAD SEXY! Yeah, baby!

#13 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:33 PM

Fer sure. Dead sexy, you better beleive it. But you still can blue box, with country direct numbers, I beleive. As long as the number you call rests on a CCITT5 in-band exchange, like an old Crossbar.

Anyone know where to get a blue box? I dont have the expertise to make one, and carrying around digital recorders is a hassle.

#14 v90

v90

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:37 PM

Learn to whistle it like Joybubbles, November 20, 1991 Off the Hook (From RFA, thank god you reccomended it!)

#15 LebFreaK

LebFreaK

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 10:18 AM

isn't the black box the box that keeps the voltage of the phone line to appear like it still ringin and the other person didn't open the line so the phone company don't start counting how many minutes i talked?
and that way i don't pay anymore?

why ur sayin that it's not foe my benefit but for the benefit of the person that i'm callin

can u be more clear plz?

"i have a friend that has all the stuff to make a black box i just must give him how to do it!"
thx

#16 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:06 PM

There's 2 ways to do a black box. Either potentiometer with 10k range or a resistor of... ARGH! I forget the value. I think like 1 point 8, or something. Or use a 50WVDC capacitor. (In fact, even a capacitor with 35WVDC. Even pretty low capacitance values like 10 microfarads will due. But, like It's been said here, you need to be on an old crossbar electromechanical switching system, rather than an ESS (electronic Switching System) since the call path would be cut off between you and the caller in that case. I should know. My CO is on ESS, and I black boxed for the hell of it. It still works, but like I said, on an ESS controlled CO equipment, you're still out of luck due to the call path not being completed between caller and called party. All you hear is the line ringing produced by the switch on the called party end. (The same kind of ringing you hear on a line when you call someone before they pick up). Here in the states, the black box is pretty much dead, unless, like somewhere out the middle of nowhere like in the state of Idaho or Wyoming or Montana still actually uses electromechanical switching. And, yeppers. The blue box is yet another great box that has seen It's days come and go here in the states. If you're not blue boxing through country direct numbers, you're basically out of luck.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!