• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 03:55 PM

I've gotten myself a new computer with a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra from Creative Labs. I've bought a 150Mhz video splitter, allowing me to install two monitors, wich to a certain degree works; since my computer thinks I only have one monitor it shows the exact same thing on both monitors, wich I can't use. So my question is, how do I install the secound monitor?

Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:11 PM

If you only have a splitter then you'll need to grab a DVI->VGA adapter (from the pictures I found it looks like it's DVI).

Are you looking to do multi-monitor on Windows or Linux?

#3 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:33 PM

I am running Windows XP Pro at the moment, but I will surely want to use multi-monitor under Linux too.

Am i getting it right if the DVI -> VGA adapter, should be put into the white plug on the graphic card, so I can put my monitor cable in it?

Thanks a lot for the help. :-)

#4 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure about that card, but my Radeon has VGA, S-Video, and DVI out. All of the retail Radeon cards come with a DVI->VGA converter. The DVI is the white female plug with a very odd looking interface(large number or holes as well). My suggestion would be to get the dual head going first in Windows XP to make sure everything works then move on to getting linux to work.

#5 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 08:01 AM

The plan from the beginning was actually to get it working on WinXP first, then move to Linux, but thanks anyway.
So DVI plug is the top white plug.
Posted Image
And the DVI -> VGA adapter look like this:
Posted Image
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks a lot for the help :D

#6 fl4sh

fl4sh

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:35 AM

I have a very similar setup with my GForce 4 at home.

The DVI connector on your card is meant for digital monitors (such as flat panel monitors). If you have one of those you will not need the adapter. Todays video cards are capable of outputting seperate video signals which Windows can use for multiple monitor setups. Just a couple years ago you would have to have had seperate video cards to do this little trick. I believe with Win XP you can have at least 8 monitors if not more. The card that is pictured also has an S-Video out which can be used to connect it to a TV. While I have not tried or done the research, it may be possible to connect a third monitor to this output with the right adapter.

Since I am at work now, I will not be able to remember all the specifics. It looks like you have the right adapter. You will also need to make sure you have the latest nVidia drivers. To enable multilple monitors in XP, you will need to right click on your desktop and select properties and then choose the settings tab. You should see two boxes with numbers inside them. One may be grayed out. Select the grayed out one and then check the box that says 'Extend my Windows destop onto this monitor' and then choose apply. To get it working properly you may have to click on the advanced button and make additional changes within the nVidia driver settings.

Hope this helps.

#7 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:04 AM

Sorry for the late reply, but I had to go on holiday with my parents...

Reading the manual for my video splitter, I could set up 64 monitors, but it would require more splitters/extenders.

The problem is windows couldn't find a secound monitor, when connecting them to the blue (vga?) plug, so it showed the same at both monitors.
But having the DVI -> VGA adapter would allow me to connect the splitter to the DVI -> VGA adapter right? And then my computer would be able to see both monitors..?

I am using some standard monitors:

ViewSonic E71
Compaq V75

Thanks a lot in advance.

BTW connecting this to Linux would be a bad idea since Linux don't support GeForce FX :cry:, so i have to use an old Pentium 2 450mhz to run Linux...But if anyone finds a linux distro supporting GeForce FX please mail/pm me.

#8 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 09:03 PM

no more splitters will be necessary. Plug one monitor into the normal VGA port. Plug the DVI->VGA converter into the DVI port and plug the second monitor into that.

Then you will see 2 monitors as fl4sh described. one will have teh number "1" on it and "2" on the other. There is a checkbox to "share" the desktop across 2 screens. I cant live without it at work now. :)

#9 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:45 PM

But what are the splitters good for anyway then?

The talk about more splitters/extenders was if I needed really many monitors, the graphic card would be pretty big if i needed to have 64 VGA plugs ;)

#10 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 04:47 PM

BTW connecting this to Linux would be a bad idea since Linux don't support GeForce FX :cry:, so i have to use an old Pentium 2 450mhz to run Linux...But if anyone finds a linux distro supporting GeForce FX please mail/pm me.

Yay i just downloaded the first CD of Mandrake Linux 9.1 and it works on my GeForce FX card :D, suprising i could not get red hat to work. :huh:
:wub: Mandrake

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!