• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:16 PM

This is probably a realy basic Linux question, but being the Linux übern00b that I am.....

Is there a limit to the number of users that can log onto a Linux system that's acting as a file server on a local network? My first thought would be no, but I figured I'd ask the experts to be sure......

#2 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 415 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:07 PM

When you say file server, are we talking NFS, Samba, FTP, etc. I would assume it depends on the daemon and also on how it's configed.

#3 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:11 PM

for an ftp its 421 unless the owner changes so its lower

#4 phax

phax

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:25 AM

Let us know which daemon your talking about NFS I would use it unless
needed to. As said before it depends on what service and how U got it
configured. Enlighten us more on what your talking about B)

#5 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:23 AM

I believe there is a limit to the number of open sockets in the kernel. I don't know the exact number but I'm sure that it's sufficiently high for 99% of users.

I don't think you'd really run into a problem with something like NFS because it is stateless (every action is atomic and you need to reconnect after each one).

If you want me to peruse the kernel and find the exact limits just lemme know.

EDIT:

Some quick info
and from the Apache folks:

Linux
   By default Linux has a kernel maximum of 256 open descriptors per process. There are several patches available for the 2.0.x series which raise this to 1024 and beyond, and you can find them in the "unofficial patches" section of the Linux Information HQ. None of these patches are perfect, and an entirely different approach is likely to be taken during the 2.1.x development. Applying these patches will raise the FD_SETSIZE used to compile all programs, and unless you rebuild all your libraries you should avoid running any other program with a soft descriptor limit above 256. As of this writing the patches available for increasing the number of descriptors do not take this into account. On a dedicated webserver you probably won't run into trouble.

Hope that's what you're after.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!