• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Glooko

Glooko

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:27 PM

Well seeing how Dual mentioned me on Epi 40 he brought up a good idea (or perhaps I triggered the idea? :) Dual props to both of us then if so ^_^) about Hacker Salvage.

Now I have many people like myself are with boxes lying around that are a bit out dated and are looking for parts to turn that old old unit into a totally kitted out box by maxing everything out but the problem is that the gut stores don't sell parts anymoreand if they do they'll charge you a rip off amount for it when it should be given away at a dollar store price..

Well, this is where this thread comes into play. Hopefully others with spare parts can share with the community and we can all build better boxes. Perhaps share some tips on how to dremel out that box of yours on that "brand old" (Rax term? :D ) P200 or that uber 1337 286 totally tricked out.

One things for sure I'm trying to get out of the 486 stage here and stay in the pentium area. So I might have a few 2-4 86 things lying around.

Hope this thread builds up.

Glooko.

..."In RFA we trust"

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:52 PM

what exactly is this thread about?? is it about telling what old boxes we have?? well in that case:
i have a pentium 166 tricked out with a ghetto style rubberband-held heatsink and a blowdrier fan. it's got two stiks of edo ram totalling 64megs. i have a 2 meg matrox video card, and a 145 (WOW) watt at psu on it. there is no ps/2 mouse connector, i have to get the pigtail connector for it, fortunately i found a site with this product, cyberguys.com. I also have an isa nic, and sndcard. and a 4x cd rom, no floppy or hdd (yet). also this is my future server system (just to show how poor i am). this kickass system is equipped with a dumpster found 15 inch (13 viewable) viewsonic 6E monitor and a packard bell keyboard (from the same exact dumpster). pretty cool eh?!

#3 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 415 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:09 PM

I've got 4 486s, some P75s, 5 Sparcstation 5s, 4 Sparcstations 4, and 2 Sparcstation 10s. Is that old enough?

#4 Glooko

Glooko

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 08:35 PM

what exactly is this thread about?? is it about telling what old boxes we have?? well in that case:
i have a pentium 166 tricked out with a ghetto style rubberband-held heatsink and a blowdrier fan. it's got two stiks of edo ram totalling 64megs. i have a 2 meg matrox video card, and a 145 (WOW) watt at psu on it. there is no ps/2 mouse connector, i have to get the pigtail connector for it, fortunately i found a site with this product, cyberguys.com. I also have an isa nic, and sndcard. and a 4x cd rom, no floppy or hdd (yet). also this is my future server system (just to show how poor i am). this kickass system is equipped with a dumpster found 15 inch (13 viewable) viewsonic 6E monitor and a packard bell keyboard (from the same exact dumpster). pretty cool eh?!

Hac:

Well it's about trading old or unused parts that you have lying around with other people that post here asking for parts to build thier units. I'm just providing a place for people to post thier needs and wants.

I for one want to try out AMD. I have the old AMD 486's but I want a AMD with a mobo if anyone has a old old non 486 they can spare. I need to learn the AMD so I can perhaps make a AMD in the future.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help out.

#5 Glooko

Glooko

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 08:39 PM

I've got 4 486s, some P75s, 5 Sparcstation 5s, 4 Sparcstations 4, and 2 Sparcstation 10s. Is that old enough?

Voo:

I have a 286 somewhere at my folks place. :D Remember that game "Elite" :) Now that's a old unit but I'm sure someone will top that with something older like some lightbulb flickering size of a 1960's T-bird drive you up the wall with the noise computer. :)

Glooko

#6 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:43 PM

Um, i have a pentium 133 with a 2gb hard drive and 6x cdrom drive :(

stuff in dumpsters is better than that :angry:

just keep my eyes peeled :ninja:

#7 Glooko

Glooko

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:25 AM

My knowledge is not that current on this but I recall that George Brown College (Dupont Station division) in Toronto throws out old tech one in a while. My knowledge is back 1998-99 so any old skoolers wanna grab a piece of senior tech ass ..er... parts :) check them out.

Glooko

..."Join the Meri-chan fan club!" :wub: :heart:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!