• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:41 AM

ok, so I'm wanting to turn my xbox into a dedicated linux server.

I have figured out that I do not want to do the MechAssault method to install linux.

Instead, I have chosen to get a modchip. I am looking at the Xecuter 3 modchip. (yes, I can solder like a motherfucker, cause I have a 1.0 xbox which means I'll be doing the wires install which also includes the desolder of the LPC)

What I dont know is how linux will be put on.

If I use a modchip, to install linux, do I just stick in the distro and it will boot to install it?(after the modchip is installed of course)

Or does the dashboard software the modchip comes with take of that?

Or maybe, is this $50+ modchip even worth buying JUST to run linux on the xbox??

Perhaps, there is a cheaper way? The MechAssault isnt cheaper. I dont have the game, and I dont have any things to save games on.

#2 kitche

kitche

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

the distro comes with the modchip software. I know a few people that don't need a modchip anymore to mod their xboxes. the distro is usually gentoo

#3 cerealkiller76

cerealkiller76

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, flash your chip with the cromwell bios, and then you can use a cd to install linux. Last I checked Debian, gentoo, and freebsd had been ported to the xbox.

#4 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:27 PM

I'm now looking at a more cheaper modchip, the Xchanger2.

Both modchips claim to have the ability to boot into the Microsoft OS for the ability to do Xbox live. However, I'm using a hard drive that doesnt have anything on it. Not even the MS OS. Would this present a problem with the modchip? I'm assuming no .. but I could be wrong.

#5 invision620

invision620

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

i just used the 007/mechasault method to softmod mine and install linux but whatever man, i really dont see the point of dropping cash for a modchip, when softmodding does about the same thign and you dont run the chance of fucking up your xbox.

#6 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

Well, thats my problem. I have to spit out cash no matter what. I got this xbox from a friend and it has no hard drive, no power cable, no controllers. When I get to a point where I need a controller, I'll just borrow one of my brothers. So, no matter which way I look at it, I am going to spend money.

#7 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

just rent the game from blockbuster, softmod it, and then return it.

#8 evoen

evoen

SUP3R 31337

• Validating
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

I modded mine with an Xecuter lite plus(solder noob) and it was very easy. If you are intrested in the step-by-step I went through you can see it here. I did it about two years ago so I never got familiar with the software method. Regardless of which route you take, its rewards are 10 fold.

#9 kitche

kitche

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

some chips only support so much of a hard drive just make sure you get a chip that supports your hard drive, that's what softmod is good for you can put in a huge hard drive and just keep modding it.

#10 mo0

mo0

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

some chips only support so much of a hard drive just make sure you get a chip that supports your hard drive, that's what softmod is good for you can put in a huge hard drive and just keep modding it.

View Post

I'm not sure about other lesser chips, but the xecuter modchips don't care about how big the hard drive is - you just have to flash a different bios to it to enable the larger (f?) partition.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!