• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

I say someone just set something up. I would, but I dont think you guys would like my dialup speeds.

Whoever sets one up first we use it.

If there are multiple people that get it setup at the same time, we will vote on which one we use, voting should last no longer than a day.

sorry, but I'm bored and just wanted something to do. :)

#22 Exvitel

Exvitel

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

I think we should have a few boxes, not just one...

Also mabey a semi-noobie box, that the better people should not be asses and let the noobies work on...

#23 Merk

Merk

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

Someone set up a site, put up boxes on there, rival rootthisbox. How's that sound?

I might be able to set up a box soon. We could have different boxes on there, mine would be OpenBSD. Owning a windows box is no fun.

#24 digitalgalileo

digitalgalileo

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

I have a spare box a cable connection and plenty of time. Unfortunatley I don't have much skill but if you guys would help me out I would be glad to set up a linux box with whatever services you suggest. ssh, telnet, ftp etc. put in the dmz on my router?
p.m me if you think that is acceptable or have any suggestions.
p.s it's a 700mhz amdk6 w/ 128megs of ram.

Edited by digitalgalileo, 21 November 2005 - 10:41 PM.

#25 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

if you need help, PM me either here or AIM/MSN/etc. I'm more than willing to help.

NOTE TO ALL!!!!!!

If you set up a box for us to play on, DO NOT POST THE IP ON THE FORUMS.

It is much much wiser for us to PM the owner of the box for access. There are more people on the forums that just troll. This way the owner knows who's accessing the box.

just some advice ;)

#26 digitalgalileo

digitalgalileo

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:24 AM

ok, i've got a debian box set up with ssh and apache running p.m. or e-mail me for the ipaddress and the username/pass i set up for the game.

the format I was thinkng would be that if you make your way to root make a textfile called victory in /game and put in your binrev handel and the date/time and patch the hole you used to get in so it will be harder for the next person, also if you could write a little white paper explaining how you got in and how you closed the vulnerability that would be cool (this wil mostly be a learning experiance for me) i'll check the folder periodicaly and post the names of people who got in and maybe put up a web page if there is enough activity.

for the record I give permission to mess around on the box called gamebox on my network. please don't abuse this.

also I have never done this before so any suggestions would be welcome, please don't flame me if you find it easy or lame or whatever.

note: this will probobly be more suited for novices in the beginning because I havn't realy taken any measures to harden the box.

Have Fun, Be Ethical!

Edited by digitalgalileo, 22 November 2005 - 12:47 AM.

#27 digitalgalileo

digitalgalileo

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

Exvitel got it first, congrats.

#28 BushiBytes

BushiBytes

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:20 AM

Nice! Where do we sign up to play? :)

Furthermore, I was thinking of doing something similar for my university's computer science students, but I can't figure out what would be best inbetween a king of the hill format, or monthly/biweekly types of challenges, with different distros and varying difficulties.

#29 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:17 AM

Read 2 posts above.

ok, i've got a debian box set up with ssh and apache running p.m. or e-mail me for the ipaddress and the username/pass i set up for the game.

but I can't figure out what would be best inbetween a king of the hill format, or monthly/biweekly types of challenges, with different distros and varying difficulties.

Well, if your going to do it biweekly with different distros, that'd be too much work for me :P

I'd do something monthly .. or bi-monthly. Although, it sounds like your not too sure on which type of game, I'd do some more research on that. there are a few different types which are cool.

#30 digitalgalileo

digitalgalileo

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:30 AM

Just so everybody knows, about a day after I put it up I got rooted by someone who, i'm reasonabley sure wasn't a part of the forums, anyway he/she started installing services on my box so I kicked him off and than started getting dos'ed. I was able to get a new ip address and am willing to put the box back up but I'd like to know what I could do to make sure unwanted people don't get in while still allowing in the people I do want to play.

#31 Automaton

Automaton

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

Just so everybody knows, about a day after I put it up I got rooted by someone who, i'm reasonabley sure wasn't a part of the forums, anyway he/she started installing services on my box so I kicked him off and than started getting dos'ed. I was able to get a new ip address and am willing to put the box back up but I'd like to know what I could do to make sure unwanted people don't get in while still allowing in the people I do want to play.

View Post

I'm not sure you can really do that much about it, if you want it open... the best I can think of is to backup your 'secure' box, then kick off unauthorised jerks and backup the whole thing, so's they don't get some dodgey stuff on the system. Still, I'm no security expert, so someone else may know a way.

#32 thenotwist

thenotwist

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

Hey so im a real newb, aand id like to participate in this, but i have absolutely no clue how... i researched a lot but i only found crap that dont really help me so id really appreciate it if one of u could give some tips to start with =)

btw, im runnin winXP ^^ is it even possible to do stuff like this with that?

#33 gloomer

gloomer

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

Are you fricking kidding me?

LOOK AT THE DATE OF THE LAST POST!

Yeah.. that's right. 2 YEARS AGO.

This doesn't exist.

#34 thenotwist

thenotwist

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

lol ^^ oopps

#35 thej3w

thej3w

T0tal n00b

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

It exists.. we just didn't tell you Gloomer.

Alright so maybe it doesn't exist, but we can dream.

#36 seven

seven

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

lol. I really did lawl at Gloomer's post.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!