• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:47 PM

1. if i have a beige box hooked up to a phone and someone calls that phone line number will they get a busy signal?
2. is there a way to hook a tape recorder up to a phone besides just duct taping one to the hand set?

#2 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:21 AM

1) a beige box is just like a phone on the inside of the house, except your "phone jack" is outside. Thus, if your using the beige box and someone calls, it will be busy, since you are using the phone.

2) there are a few resources on the net for homebrew interfaces, but the quickest way is the radioshack handset to minijack adapter. it goes inbetween the handset and the handset plug. it requires a beige box with a handset ovbiously, or you could custom it to just clip to bare wires. ill break mine open and tell you whats inside.

#3 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:53 AM

thanks

#4 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:01 AM

Regarding no. 1... not if the line has call waiting.

#5 Dox

Dox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:26 PM

those radioshack adapters are nice little rigs. the only problem i have with it is that the cord that plugs into your recorder is much too short, i guess i'll have to grab an extention.

cracking it open should be a nifty trick, that thing is glued around every edge. i hope you don' t have to ruin the casing too much to free the innards. although getting rid of it wouldn't be such a bad thing, it'd probably make it easier to mount it in some homebrew box

#6 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:20 PM

The best bet for beige boxing is to use a small, one-piece type phone. Like the Radio Shack Apollo flip phone, and certain models that ConAir phone has made.) Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of these on the market. But, rest assured, they're out there. I don't know if you still have any K mart stores where you are, but here, Big K sells a one piece ConAir phone. These one piece phones are designed much like cell phones, except that they're land line phones, for plugging into your phone jack instead. Most I've seen are of the flip phone type cell phone design. But, the ConAir phone currently sold at Big K and other K mart stores is non-flip, but still small and compact. And, that's the whole idea. Because, although lineman handsets are the main thing you'll hear phreaks tell you to use for beige-ing, they're big, bulky monstrosities compared to the small compact size of the kind of phone I'm talking about. Besides, there Isn't much in the way of features that's exclusive to a lineman's handset. And the features they have aren't in any way special. For instance, there is speed dial on many model lineman handsets, and yeah, you won't get that on the kind of phones I'm mentioning here, but It's not such a special feature that you can't live without. Although, I'll admit, it would speed things up when dialing, and that can be helpful when field phreaking (Field phreaking means phreaking outside anywhere, just to mention, in case you didn't know). The one undeniable thing that's great about lineman handsets is the built in polarity test (testing for proper polarity), and the built-in alligator clips. With the kind of phones I'm mentioning, you have to add your own alligator clips to the line cord you're using. The fastest way to do this is to get Radio Shack's short (umm... I think It's 1ft long or less) modular to spade lugs line cord. Then, buy some screw termianl type alligator clips, and connect them up. With other type alligator clips, you're gonna need to know how to solder, and own a soldering iron and solder.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!