Photo
- - - - -

Streaming media server

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaming media server

Streaming media server

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:05 PM

Well, as the binary revolution continues and more and more independant media shows are popping up (or upcoming), perhaps we should consider making our own streaming media station.

This is not a light undertaking, by any means, but I don't see why it cannot be done. I will have to look into it financially, but there are lots of independant stations floating around out there, streaming tons of music genres. I looked everywhere for other stations that played talk shows (of any kind, not just hacking) and I couldnt find any other than rantradio.

So I guess this is a poll to see what people think. Without assuming that the current shows that we all support would be onboard, I would like to know whether people would like having RFA, BinRevRadio, GAMER, In The Now, and other similar shows in one location(maybe permission from 2600 to replay OTH/OTW). It also gives new shows, or possibly returning shows (*cough* HM? *cough*) a place to stream and be under a central umbrella. Instead of hunting for all the different shows, we all join together to promote one central site for all your independant media needs.

anyway, again these are lofty goals, and I would have to do a financial analysis to see if we can afford to do this. I would only do it with Binary Revolution funds, no outside costs to users or show hosts. But before I go there, lets guage the interest level. and post comments on what you would find good or bad about the concept. Post anonymously if you would like.

*NOTE* none of the hosts of these shows has any knowledge of this and HAVE NOT said that they would like this. They may be happy where they are, and I respect that.

#2 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:20 PM

Stank: Bunch of talk streams here

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:01 PM

Stank: Bunch of talk streams here

i looked through them before and they either do not accept outside shows or they are politically biased that I want to acoid. that is the reason for the alternative media in the first place.

#4 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 06:15 PM

I looked everywhere for other stations that played talk shows (of any kind, not just hacking) and I couldnt find any other than rantradio.

Yep just pointing out that they exist :).

I've recently started to listen to Sean Kennedy and watch sktfm.tv. He said something that I really like, "become the media". Not only would it be cool to have all the talk shows you previously mentioned but to also have HackTV like Sean Kennedy has done with his show. Don't get me wrong Sean Kennedy is great, but it just feels like we could provide WAY better content....but like you mentioned that would take a lot of work.

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 08:22 PM

The thing is a bit back (years ago) another large group I had allot of connections with tried this same exact thing.. it tore the groups apart, the riaa steped in and threatened to sued everyone, people got tired or scared and didnt do there jobs, so they had to stop and people hated each other.. to this day I have people I that I knew to be good friends hatng each other... the sites are long gone or hidden away so only a few people can see them.... its going to be hard work, friendships WILL be tested, and it may end bad - Are you really ready for this?

If so, I can try to help with whatever I can with my severly limited resources.. Axid expressed a interest in a radio show as well so maybe I can send him your way.

If your not.. no bad; Either I thought a heads up was best.

#6 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 09:56 PM

it would be sweet, a 24 hour streaming media station about hacking/phreaking/technology would be awesome, you sould just point your xmms or winamp to it and get all the hacking goodness at any time of the day...i say yeah.
Raven: i really think from how i see the ppl on this board today, that there would be very few things that we couldn't accomplish if we stick together. ppl are very enthusiastic and its hard to beat enthusiastic people.

#7 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 11:16 PM

I am thinking that we will run hacking/phreak/tech/etc... shows every night at primetime (possibly replays during the work day for people like me who listen at work).

During the other 15-20 hours of each day we promote INDEPENDANT music from small, unsigned bands or bands that give us permission to use their music. Sources like mp3.com and others will give plenty of new, talented musicians another outlet to bypass the RIAA. I see them coming in daily themes (logistically easier to do daily instead of hourly, sorry) like Hip-hop Monday, and Rock Tuesday, techno Wednesday, etc...

I know one DDP member in particular who might be intrigued by the possibilties of making his music available. ;)

#8 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 11:50 PM

i fully support the idea. i think this would give more people an oppurtinit to start a radio broadcast

#9 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 01:46 AM

Well like I said Im all for it and would help in any way I could; I just felt that out of respect I should let you know my past experience on the topic.

One thing I would like to do someday is make some of my poetry/music as mp3 and let others listen... once i have arealy computer of my own thats on the list.

#10 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 11:46 AM

I know one DDP member in particular who might be intrigued by the possibilties of making his music available. ;)

:wub: :voteyes: :o :lol:

#11 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 10:48 PM

Wow, I'd listen to it almost 24/7. Especially if it also streamed show shows live.

(btw: I signed up just to reply to this thread, so I'm sure others would love the idea too)

#12 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:21 PM

okay what about people on dial up who want to start a show and what about those who cant get on until after 11'o clock?

#13 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:06 AM

we will have to work something out. Until I get deeper into the tech aspect of it, I can't answer that but I don't forsee it as a problem. Perhaps we can have you upload the files (obviously, they wouldn't be live) and we can stream them automatically via a scheduler. Also, I am pretty sure that you can stream with 56k, it just might be a low bitrate for the lower bandwidth.

Again, something we will look into if(and when) we go through with this. :)

edit: oh, and thanx for signing up fanatic! welcome!

#14 GUEST_Unregistered_Nyx_***

GUEST_Unregistered_Nyx_***
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2003 - 09:00 PM

Personally I think it would be great to have a central stream for independant media and I'd help in any way that I could.(technical shit, finding music but probably no hosting in the immediate future) Two more things, one is to have multiple rebroadcasts from the night before on the following day cause when you guys do live stuff on pacific time it's really late in central and even more in eastern time. Two is that I know you can atleast listen to stream with quite good sound quality(am not sure about broadcast, never done it before).

Later,
Nyx

#15 sl1pm0de

sl1pm0de

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:22 PM

I think this would be great. I think just a page that has a link to all the other shows. A one stop shop to refer too. Very simple and I am not worried about the RIAA. I don't play any of their music anyways.

#16 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:09 PM

ok, well...it appears that to get reasonable hosting at a reasonable bitrate it is going to cost about 200 bux per month for hosting plus a one time setup fee that varies up to 200 bux as well. This gives us up to 100 listeners at a time and up to 56k bitrate.

That is steep, but it may be possible for us to do that in the future. This is the kind of thing i would like to put the magazine funds towards.

Anyway, now we have an idea, so maybe next year we can make this happen!

#17 fanatic

fanatic

Masturbation Addict

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:24 PM

You could always offer support for donations. Once you guys get off the ground with the mag I'll probably get a subscription.. (if it is offered).. Well, once my other mag subscriptions run out in Oct. I'll be putting the money towards 2600, BinRev, and other newsletters. If only they were published more requently.

#18 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:36 PM

ok, well...it appears that to get reasonable hosting at a reasonable bitrate it is going to cost about 200 bux per month for hosting plus a one time setup fee that varies up to 200 bux as well. This gives us up to 100 listeners at a time and up to 56k bitrate.

That is steep, but it may be possible for us to do that in the future. This is the kind of thing i would like to put the magazine funds towards.

Anyway, now we have an idea, so maybe next year we can make this happen!

takes drink

reads stank's quote

spits tea all over monitor

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!