#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:34 AM

Microsoft Fined For Vandalism
VNUNet.com

Microsoft's latest advertising campaign to promote internet service MSN has fallen foul of the New York City Department of Transportation.

According to news agency Reuters, the department sent a strongly worded letter reprimanding the company for lining the city's streets and traffic signs with its MSN butterfly logo.

The New York authorities told the software giant that its acts were vandalism and instructed the company to remove them, imposing a fine of $50. It labeled the ad campaign "illegal, irresponsible and dangerous defacing of public property".

In a statement, Yusuf Mehdi, a vice president at Microsoft, apologized and said: "We made a mistake with the decals, and we take full responsibility for what happened. We are working with city officials to clean up the decals immediately."

#2 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:15 AM

Yep, I heard about that. Apparently Microsoft also issued a statement saying they were given permission to do it from an un-names department!

#3 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 09:33 AM

Rax told me that IBM and Nike have pulled similar stunts. Whatever they did, it had to be better than that stupid "man-in-the-butterfly-suit" gimmick.

#4 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 11:05 AM

Are you serious... only a $50 fine? Come on make it a real threat... 50,000 looks more around a slap in the face.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!