• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

Finding the password is very easy, resetting it is the hard part. If you have a CD-ROM (as I've explained twice already), you should stick it in and boot the machine with a Linux LiveCD Distro and you'll be able to change the password very easily and quickly. CHNTPW works wonders, I use it on my own machine when I forget the password.

#42 Mr.Sandman

Mr.Sandman

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

Finding the password is very easy, resetting it is the hard part.  If you have a CD-ROM (as I've explained twice already), you should stick it in and boot the machine with a Linux LiveCD Distro and you'll be able to change the password very easily and quickly.  CHNTPW works wonders, I use it on my own machine when I forget the password.

View Post

IN ORDER TO USE ANY ROMS ON MY LAPTOP I NEED TO BE AN ADMIN. :wacko:

( GET THE PICTURE? )

EDIT by BlackRatchet: Yes, we do. You only needed to say it once. Also, thanks for flaming in Nubie HQ. Double Warn.

#43 tehbizz

tehbizz

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

OK, I'm tired of being nice. You must not even read my replies, so I'll make sure you read this one.

TO USE YOUR ROM IN WINDOWS YOU NEED TO BE AN ADMIN, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE AN ADMIN TO INSTALL IT. INSTALLING IT MEANS SLIDING IT IN THE DRIVE BAY, NOTHING ELSE. HOW DO I KNOW THIS? I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY WHERE I DEAL WITH THESE SHITTY LAPTOPS ALL THE TIME. IF YOU INSTALL THE DRIVE AND USE A FUCKING LIVECD, LIKE YOU'VE BEEN ADVISED TO DO ABOUT 4 TIMES NOW, YOU CAN BOOT FROM THE CD AND BYPASS WINDOWS ALTOGETHER YOU TWIT. YOU'RE PHYSICALLY INSTALLING THE CD-ROM AND THAT ONLY REQUIRES YOU, THE DUMB USER, TO STICK THE DRIVE IN AND BOOT THE LAPTOP AND BOOT FROM A CD. HOW DOES THIS REQUIRE ADMIN PRIVS?????? IT DOESN'T, YOU'RE JUST STUPID. IF YOU ACTUALLY READ THE REPLIES IN THIS THREAD ALONE, YOU'D REALIZE WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AND YOU DO NOT.

#44 oddflux

oddflux

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:31 PM

Nubie flaming will not be tolorated in these forums.

#45 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:37 PM

View Post

In this case I think it's fine. Is this guy getting an Bios password promp when he tries to set the boot device and thinking it has something to do with the OS?

#46 Booter

Booter

rekcah-rebÜ

• 742 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:39 PM

OK, I'm tired of being nice.  You must not even read my replies, so I'll make sure you read this one.

TO USE YOUR ROM IN WINDOWS YOU NEED TO BE AN ADMIN, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE AN ADMIN TO INSTALL IT.  INSTALLING IT MEANS SLIDING IT IN THE DRIVE BAY, NOTHING ELSE.  HOW DO I KNOW THIS?  I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY WHERE I DEAL WITH THESE SHITTY LAPTOPS ALL THE TIME.  IF YOU INSTALL THE DRIVE AND USE A FUCKING LIVECD, LIKE YOU'VE BEEN ADVISED TO DO ABOUT 4 TIMES NOW, YOU CAN BOOT FROM THE CD AND BYPASS WINDOWS ALTOGETHER YOU TWIT.  YOU'RE PHYSICALLY INSTALLING THE CD-ROM AND THAT ONLY REQUIRES  YOU, THE DUMB USER, TO STICK THE DRIVE IN AND BOOT THE LAPTOP AND BOOT FROM A CD.  HOW DOES THIS REQUIRE ADMIN PRIVS??????  IT DOESN'T, YOU'RE JUST STUPID.  IF YOU ACTUALLY READ THE REPLIES IN THIS THREAD ALONE, YOU'D REALIZE WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AND YOU DO NOT.

View Post

A-fucking-MEN

#47 oddflux

oddflux

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

God bless the intelligent ones, and no others.

Edited by oddflux, 03 November 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#48 tehbizz

tehbizz

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

View Post

In this case I think it's fine. Is this guy getting an Bios password promp when he tries to set the boot device and thinking it has something to do with the OS?

View Post

If there is a boot password, it can probably be removed by removing the battery. If it's a BIOS password, this program will probably reset it: http://www.users.glo...ps/latitude.exe. I cannot vouch for this personally.

#49 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

View Post

View Post

I couldn't even get the guy to say if he tried installing the cd drive (as tehbizz said) and ran into a bios password or not. It's a mystery. He just asks how to "be admin" over and over.

Now like everyones been telling you. put the cd rom in it's little hole on the side of the laptop, and try to boot from a cd. if it doesn't boot, you need to change the boot order in the bios, which may the password you want to change. How you may do so has been stated over and over.

That is as plain as it can be put man, hope it clears it up for you. o.O

#50 Minion

Minion

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

And here I am, getting a fucking warning for flaming this guy while this post was still in General Hacking.

This * insert most flamefully descriptive title * deserved all that I gave and a banning.

#51 batman24

batman24

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:36 PM

oke am all for nubie rights and such but, when some one writes in caps "IN ORDER TO USE ANY ROMS ON MY LAPTOP I NEED TO BE AN ADMIN" like 100 times i think he deservers to be flamed. expesaly when people have already posted how to get the admin password.
i mean come on does he want us to spoon feed him?!
am sorry if you have to read stuff in order to learn Mr.Sandman.

other then that go check out Thebroken they have an episode on this if you are that lazy and don't want do anything.

it's episode 3 just in case you were wondering...

p.s. I agree with you Minion

Edited by batman24, 03 November 2005 - 09:37 PM.

#52 Coeus

Coeus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:40 AM

OK, I'm tired of being nice.  You must not even read my replies, so I'll make sure you read this one.

TO USE YOUR ROM IN WINDOWS YOU NEED TO BE AN ADMIN, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE AN ADMIN TO INSTALL IT.  INSTALLING IT MEANS SLIDING IT IN THE DRIVE BAY, NOTHING ELSE.  HOW DO I KNOW THIS?  I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY WHERE I DEAL WITH THESE SHITTY LAPTOPS ALL THE TIME.  IF YOU INSTALL THE DRIVE AND USE A FUCKING LIVECD, LIKE YOU'VE BEEN ADVISED TO DO ABOUT 4 TIMES NOW, YOU CAN BOOT FROM THE CD AND BYPASS WINDOWS ALTOGETHER YOU TWIT.  YOU'RE PHYSICALLY INSTALLING THE CD-ROM AND THAT ONLY REQUIRES  YOU, THE DUMB USER, TO STICK THE DRIVE IN AND BOOT THE LAPTOP AND BOOT FROM A CD.  HOW DOES THIS REQUIRE ADMIN PRIVS??????  IT DOESN'T, YOU'RE JUST STUPID.  IF YOU ACTUALLY READ THE REPLIES IN THIS THREAD ALONE, YOU'D REALIZE WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AND YOU DO NOT.

View Post

AMEN BROTHA!!! The whole time I was reading that I was feeling like I was saying it. God that felt good to get out lol

#53 sh4rk80Y

sh4rk80Y

HACK THE PLANET!

• Banned
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:17 AM

oke am all for nubie rights and such but, when some one writes in caps "IN ORDER TO USE ANY ROMS ON MY LAPTOP I NEED TO BE AN ADMIN" like 100 times i think he deservers to be flamed. expesaly when people have already posted how to get the admin password.
i mean come on does he want us to spoon feed him?!
am sorry if you have to read stuff in order to learn Mr.Sandman.

other then that go check out Thebroken they have an episode on this if you are that lazy and don't want do anything.

View Post

I must agree, just saying " IN ORDER TO USE ROMS ON MY LAPTOP I NEED TO BE AN ADMIN" and to the extent it was used, is VERY rude... not only that arrogent due the fact he knows he cant be flamed. Nube question or not, if some one is rude and arrogent to me no matter the circumstances I will tell the to fuck off.

#54 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,837 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

OK guys, we've dispensed out justice on this thread, and thusly, we should stop talking about certain people's posts.

If you want to continue talking about H@x0r1ng t3h XP, feel free, but if you guys just talk about peoples posts, we'll lock it.

#55 Mr.Sandman

Mr.Sandman

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

View Post

:cry: You guys just dont understand. Iv tried that but it did not work. Iv said in more then once in order to use a floppy and/or Disk drive i need to have admin right. Even if i stick it in the bay it does not work. :cry: You guys are so mean....

P.S what happens when my rating goes to three?

#56 Dr^ZigMan

Dr^ZigMan

Publish or Perish!

• 1,207 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

:cry:  You guys just dont understand. Iv tried that but it did not work. Iv said in more then once in order to use a floppy and/or Disk drive i need to have admin right. Even if i stick it in the bay it does not work.  :cry:  You guys are so mean....

View Post

Are you saying that the bios boot order boots the hard drive before anything else? If that is the case you'll need to go into the bios (try f2, delete, or look for the onscreen message as to how to enter the bios) and change the boot order.

A warn level of 3 will lead to a ban.
-Dr^ZigMan

#57 Elzair

Elzair

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

Okay, when you say you have put a CD in the CD-ROM drive, and it did not work, had you already started the computer? Okay, if you have downloaded one of those ISO and burned it to a disc, first check the disc; if there is only one large file on the entire disc and that file ends in .iso, then you have done it wrong. Okay, if there is more than one file (usually lots of directories and maybe a README.txt), then you have done it right. :voteyes: Now, keep the CD in the CD-ROM drive and reboot the computer. If you see some screen you have never seen before, (it might look something like this then everything is hunky dory. If Windows boots up, then you will have to edit the BIOS. To edit the BIOS, reboot the computer and keep hitting F2 until either you enter a funky looking screen. Now, if some ugly looking screen pops up, you are in the BIOS. If you are prompted for a password, then you have to deal with getting or removing the password, in which case this link might be useful. Otherwise just explore the BIOS until you get to the menu that controls the boot menu. Then set the CD-ROM drive (NOTE: it may be referred to as CD, removable media, CD-ROM, optical disk, or optical media) to boot before the hard drive. Then make sure to SAVE YOUR CHANGES. Then just restart with the CD still in the CD-ROM drive and everything will be hunky dory.

EDIT: According to tehbizz, you should press F2 to enter the BIOS
EDIT: Added URL for BIOS Passwords. Do Dell BIOS's have any of these Backdoor BIOS Passwords?

Edited by Elzair, 04 November 2005 - 02:24 PM.

#58 Mr.Sandman

Mr.Sandman

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:14 PM

TEh only option i have is to acces the C / D drive but the C drive is locked. The is no option for disk or floopy drive.

#59 tehbizz

tehbizz

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

:cry:  You guys just dont understand. Iv tried that but it did not work. Iv said in more then once in order to use a floppy and/or Disk drive i need to have admin right. Even if i stick it in the bay it does not work.  :cry:  You guys are so mean....

View Post

Are you saying that the bios boot order boots the hard drive before anything else? If that is the case you'll need to go into the bios (try f2, delete, or look for the onscreen message as to how to enter the bios) and change the boot order.

A warn level of 3 will lead to a ban.
-Dr^ZigMan

View Post

to enter Dell's BIOS, you press F2. Typically to change the boot order you can hit F12 for a one time change and F3 for PXE booting.

#60 Mr.Sandman

Mr.Sandman

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

:D I finally got my Floppy drive to work. My disk drive is broken so it wont work. So tell me how i can find out the coode using a floppy.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!