• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 nenn

nenn

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

just curious to see what other distros people use other than linux and why?

i just needed windows to do an install of some software so that i can use it under wine :P, (it wouldnt install).

other than general things here and there, like syncing my pda, what do you all use your other operating systems for? and perhaps even, why?

#2 Kn1ghtl0rd

Kn1ghtl0rd

SUP3R 31337

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

I use Solaris and BSD in my security test network for testing and trying new apps out. I know BSD is a Unix based system like Linux, but you didn't include BSD in your "other than linux" so I figured it would be alright.

#3 Merk

Merk

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:35 PM

Plan9
Made by Bell Labs, who also made Unix. A hobbyist OS. Ask zerodb about it, or listen to one of the earlier BRRs. With him on it, I think he is a developer for it.
MenuetOS
- Pre-emptive multitasking
- Responsive GUI with resolutions up to 1280x1024, 16 million colours
- IDE: Editor/Macro Assembler for applications
- TCP/IP stack with Loopback & Ethernet drivers
- Network applications include ftp/http/mp3 servers
- Free-form application windows
- Hard real-time data fetch
- Fits on a single floppy
(taken from site)
Seems to be another hobbyist OS.
Edit:
Couldn't remember the name.
ReactOS
Designed to be basicaly a free windows.
The ReactOS® project is dedicated to making Free Software available to everyone by providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.
(from site)
Under GPL and LGPL if taken from WINE.

Edited by Merk, 24 October 2005 - 02:45 PM.

#4 d3fault

d3fault

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

/me loves how neither of you said windows :)

#5 oddflux

oddflux

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

Windows 2000, Windows XP, MenuetOS.
All of which I have no particular reason for running.

#6 d3fault

d3fault

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

Spoke too soon, anyway I understand. Everyone has their reasons weather it's work or whatever. Maybe you just like it ;P ( I have heard good things about 2k though). Later

#7 d3fault

d3fault

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

Misread the last post but I'll stand by my statement.

#8 Merk

Merk

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:47 PM

Just so you know, I use linux. Not the things I listed, but someone *has* to use them. Maybe the developers.

#9 luminaire

luminaire

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:29 AM

In Order of Preference:

OpenBSD
FreeBSD
Mac Tiger

I only have two linux boxes left, and one is only around cause I need it for a project.

#10 RapidDemon

RapidDemon

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:56 PM

I use OS X Tiger (In addition to 1 Debian Box, 1 32bit Gentoo box, and 1 64bit Gentoo Box) and additionally hope to install Gentoo/FreeBSD on a box I have lying around this weekend.

#11 tiocsti

tiocsti

rekcah-rebÜ

• Banned
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:21 PM

OS/X, netbsd, freebsd, openbsd, windows xp

I don't use linux at all, unless I have some project that needs it, in which case i'll use vmware on windows or a livecd. I use OS/X for a main desktop machine, I use windows for specific applications (like vmware and ida), and I use the opensource bsds for development of various sorts.

As for why -- I don't like linux, and can do anything I need to do with my existing platforms, unless it's a crackme that is linux based, or something of that nature.

i just needed windows to do an install of some software so that i can use it under wine :P, (it wouldnt install).

other than general things here and there, like syncing my pda, what do you all use your other operating systems for? and perhaps even, why?

View Post

#12 P3ng0

P3ng0

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:36 PM

Besides Linux LIinux 2 The Revenge of linux
Peng0
The box said use Windoze 98 or better so
I used linux

Attached Files

#13 j4mes

j4mes

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:16 AM

I mainly stay with Linux. Although I have tried a variety of Unices (commercial and otherwise), I haven't found anything usable at the consumer level. VMS is fun, too.

I used to check out every new Linux distro out there, but it's becoming almost irrelevant to me. These days it's more about productivity than pointless tinkering.

#14 luminaire

luminaire

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

Dear lord Pengo, what's up with the attatchments. Every message we get a random one or something?

#15 greendevil

greendevil

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

windowsXP, windows 2003, CentOS, Red Hat Corp 4. in that order.
FreeBSD here i come :devil:

#16 stacksmasher

stacksmasher

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:30 PM

I am a believer in the OS is just a tool and I use WindowsXP Pro for day to day and gaming use, when I need to hack the shit out of something and need tools and *nix power, I use the Auditor live distro. I take it everywhere I go. A computer is used to run applications and lets face it I can format and install a Windows box in 20min and have all the patches and applications I use up and running, how many of you Unix guys can say that?

#17 tiocsti

tiocsti

rekcah-rebÜ

• Banned
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

I am a believer in the OS is just a tool and I use WindowsXP Pro for day to day and gaming use, when I need to hack the shit out of something and need tools and *nix power, I use the Auditor live distro. I take it everywhere I go. A computer is used to run applications and lets face it I can format and install a Windows box in 20min and have all the patches and applications I use up and running, how many of you Unix guys can say that?

View Post

I can, easily. OS install about 10 mins, packages about 10 mins at most.

#18 |cfh|

|cfh|

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:34 PM

View Post

I can, easily. OS install about 10 mins, packages about 10 mins at most.

View Post

Same here. 10 minutes for OpenBSD ( at least on a a box with 400mhz w/ 32mb ram etcetc.. )

( ( Anyone looking forward to November 1st? ( release of OpenBSD 3.8 ) )

#19 ph|ber

ph|ber

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

View Post

acually linux flavors are called distros. if you are wanting other OS's,
i use slackware for everything. but i also have a few sparcs. running solaris, bsd, slackware. etc.

#20 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

Aside from Linux...

Windows XP/2000 because I have no choice with some of the apps I require (usually have WinXP installed under VMware in Slack tho). Some games refuse to run under anything else (UT runs under Linux, but I can't get UnrealEd2 to *reliably* run under Wine.)

I've tested out Plan9...I don't know if it's actually practical, but it does work.

G4U --> Ghost for Unix. It's a live (Net?) BSD boot CD with a program that functions similar to Norton Ghost...except free, and generally better.

BeOS x86, just for the hell of it. I also have a live BeOS distro.

ReactOS because it's a cool idea...unfortunately, I can't get too much to work under it.

My FreeSCO router uses DOS to execute loadlin to boot into linux!

I still use linux on most everything (Slackware 10.1).

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!