• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EncinoMan

EncinoMan

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

I cant log into my University's wireless network using the linux half of my laptop.
The school gives out laptops as part of the tuition.
I cannot use ethernet either, yet under windows , everything is fine.
When I run Kismet , the networks show NO encryption and show up in blue .
At first I thought it was mac filtering on both the closed ethernet as well as the wireless network but I doubt it . This is a fairly new problem considering Ive been a linux user there for the past 4 years.

Any solutions.???

#2 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

They're probably using an authentication scheme similar to RADIUS or something along the Session to Application layers of the OSI model. Most Uni's don't have the time nor power to lock down specific MACs to specific ports (I know UPenn does though).

Even though Kismet reports the network as unsecured and cloaked (that's what the blue means), Kismet has no way of detecting things like MAC filters and server-based authentication schemes such as those employed by hotspots at Starbucks and Universities.

Edited by tehbizz, 16 October 2005 - 12:00 AM.

#3 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:41 PM

I was going to say something similar - the connection in Windows may be running through some kind of VPN client.

#4 EncinoMan

EncinoMan

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

Gah, I have never really attempted to think about that . They implemented , whatever it is this summer , just as I was able to Nmap a few network printers around the building I work in. Anyway, in your opinions, is there a feasible way around this ?

#5 EncinoMan

EncinoMan

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:02 AM

Oh yea, the new laptops make you log into Novell but in past years, I was able to log in only as a workstation ( for privacy).

#6 Apoc

Apoc

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

Gah, I have never really attempted to think about that .  They implemented , whatever it  is this summer , just as I was able to Nmap a few network printers around the building I work in. Anyway, in your opinions, is there a feasible way around this ?

View Post

Why dont you just call the university tech support, Im pretty sure they will help you get it going if you tell them you need to use Linux for one of your classes...Just SE a little bit

#7 EncinoMan

EncinoMan

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

Gah, I have never really attempted to think about that .  They implemented , whatever it  is this summer , just as I was able to Nmap a few network printers around the building I work in. Anyway, in your opinions, is there a feasible way around this ?

View Post

Why dont you just call the university tech support, Im pretty sure they will help you get it going if you tell them you need to use Linux for one of your classes...Just SE a little bit

View Post

That is exactly what I was planning on doing. If It was some sort of encryption where I had to give them my laptop for them do do something with it, I was prepared to keylog everything. Though it seems I could now probably get further just calling them.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!